Author Topic: Cholesterol lowering diet?  (Read 6861 times)

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
Re: Cholesterol lowering diet?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 06:09:14 PM »
Plavix/platelet aggregate inhibitors is/are another evil drug as far as I am concerned. It prevents the platelets from clotting FOR THE LIFE OF THE PLATELET. You have to be off of it for a minimum of 1-2 weeks before elective surgery or they won't do it. That's so your body can make some new platelets that aren't affected by the stuff. Honestly, when that stuff first came out, we did some carotid surgery that several patients died because either they weren't off the stuff long enough (and they bled) or their primary doc put them back on it too soon after surgery (and they bled). NO WAY. What if you get into a wreck on that stuff??? The only antidote for it is to give platelets. Lots of them. If it isn't too late.
Sorry - I do have issues with certain drugs and pharmaceutical Co.'s in general - I don't think they always have our best interests in mind over profits...
/rant  :-X

EverythingNice

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Homeopathynotes.com
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 06:15:34 PM »
Plavix/platelet aggregate inhibitors is/are another evil drug as far as I am concerned. It prevents the platelets from clotting FOR THE LIFE OF THE PLATELET. You have to be off of it for a minimum of 1-2 weeks before elective surgery or they won't do it. That's so your body can make some new platelets that aren't affected by the stuff. Honestly, when that stuff first came out, we did some carotid surgery that several patients died because either they weren't off the stuff long enough (and they bled) or their primary doc put them back on it too soon after surgery (and they bled). NO WAY. What if you get into a wreck on that stuff??? The only antidote for it is to give platelets. Lots of them. If it isn't too late.
Sorry - I do have issues with certain drugs and pharmaceutical Co.'s in general - I don't think they always have our best interests in mind over profits...
/rant  :-X

Ohhhh, you and I are on our soap boxes..  ;)  could not agree with you more! If only everyone would take charge of their own health by being informed, getting copies of their medical records, learn to understand a bit of the jargon and asking about testing alternatives for example.... can a relatively inexpensive ultrasound show the same thing instead of a more expensive MRI and the list goes on....  End of rant.....

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 08:02:36 PM »
Well, I just wanted to chime in here regarding this subject. We are quite familiar with medications and hospitals. I worked for several years in the Cardiovascular ICU, and the emergency room. No one wants to be a patient, though, and we would all like to be able to avoid that.

In a perfect world, no one would ever want to have to take meds such as Plavix,  However, when a cardiac stent has been placed, the drug Plavix is just not negotiable, it is absolutely necessary to keep that stent from causing blood clots that could kill the patient very quickly. However, it soon became apparent that the stent would not be enough, so open heart surgery was necessary.

Unfortunately, when the entire posterior portion of the patient's heart has been destroyed by a major heart attack,  it causes many other conditions which lead to chronic congestive heart failure, etc and meds can also save the patient's life. Even having a quadruple bypass, can not re-perfuse dead cardiac tissue, when it is dead, it's dead. That area of the heart is not ever going to function again.

God knows, it would be wonderful to not have to spend hundreds of dollars a month, (even after the excellent drug plan included with the health insurance plan, but in order to stay alive, sometimes that is not an option.)

Even with eating very well, (Low sodium, low cholesterol and low carbs), and exercisingi at least 3 times a week, with programs designed and approved by physicians, the medication is still necessary.

Deborah
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:05:26 PM by eotrg »
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 09:17:53 PM »
You EOTRGs know too much about all this stuff, sadly.

I can see where you are coming from, Deborah and I can see Suze's side of it too. They don't make a drug that has any benefits that doesn't also have some sort of side effect.

I am just AMAZED by John's example of self control and will power that he's exhibited. At the very start, our son overheard us talking and I guess I was having some doubts about whether or not he could stick to the diet.

Our son said "you don't know what it's like to have to sacrifice stuff like Dad's gonna have to."

John said "Let's see, your mom gave up drinking before you were born, smoking, all milk products, sweets, AND she's stabbing herself with a big needle once a week and taking a pill every day all in the name of science. She's sacrificed more than you know."

That made me feel really good! John's not the kind to say nice stuff so I take it where I can get it.

He's not had more than the 2 drinks/day since the doctor told him, and he hasn't had one bit of red meat. We had broiled fish and spinach salad tonite -- 2 things he would never have eaten before last week. Whenever our son and I had stuff like that he ran to get take out from Wendy's.

Oh! And to get more exercise, we bought bikes today. I figured after I got mine home I'd have to take it back once I realized I could no longer ride due to balance issues. NOT SO!!! I rode around the block!!! Woohoo!! There's no stopping me now....and John, who is and always has been a couch potato, is going to ride too. Small trips at first so he doesn't have that heart attack we are worried about.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 09:26:16 PM »
Oh! And to get more exercise, we bought bikes today. I figured after I got mine home I'd have to take it back once I realized I could no longer ride due to balance issues. NOT SO!!! I rode around the block!!! Woohoo!! There's no stopping me now....and John, who is and always has been a couch potato, is going to ride too.

Woohoo! You go, girl!  :cl  I hope that you and John and your son learn to really enjoy biking together as a family. That is just wonderful!
Congratulations to John for his dedication to following a healthier lifestyle!
Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 01:21:57 AM »
Truly, I am not trying to offend the EOTRG's. Truly. :l0072 The only thing I can say is, the experiences I went through in the OR several years ago scarred me forever on Plavix. Plus, my sister works in a cardiologist's office and tells me this drug is the current "darling" in vogue and a lot of patients are on it. That makes me wonder, all by itself.

I fervently pray that absolutely nothing traumatic ever befalls anyone else on it, no falls, no wrecks, and no other surgery. Especially vascular. And don't bang your head on anything!  :stars

EverythingNice

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Homeopathynotes.com
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 10:40:54 AM »

Oh! And to get more exercise, we bought bikes today. I figured after I got mine home I'd have to take it back once I realized I could no longer ride due to balance issues. NOT SO!!! I rode around the block!!! Woohoo!! There's no stopping me now....and John, who is and always has been a couch potato, is going to ride too. Small trips at first so he doesn't have that heart attack we are worried about.

Wonderful! I' cheering for you both!  :D! 

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »
It brings tears (happy ones) to my eyes to hear about you riding a bike, Jeri.   :h0161 :heartB   That's the best news I've heard in a really long time.   :D! :D!

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 03:03:40 PM »
someone got rid of the bike riding smilie! doh!

I'm going for a longer ride this evening after it cools off. I accidentally got a bike with 18 freaking gears...who knew they made them like that?? And why are they being sold in FL where you basically only need one gear. I need "go" and "stop" and that's about it.

I had a moment of shear and utter terror yesterday when I remembered "stop" as having to do with backwards pedaling and not squeezing with the hands. I didn't stop as quickly as I wanted to, but dragging the feet still works to create friction that reduces forward momentum.

This bike riding stuff is going to take a little finessing, I can see.

edited for typos...and probably will again when I see I forgot some.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:07:51 PM by signsintime »
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 03:05:51 PM »
congrats!  Great to hear that you've made so much progress!!

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 03:13:24 PM »
Most bike dealers should be shot.  They'll sell a five speed deraileur to a six year old.

The best bike for riding around use is a simple three speed, built into the hub, with a shifter build into the handle and handle brakes.  For anyone less than about ten years old, I'd say a one speed with foot brakes (backpedal).  A kid has much better strength in his feet than in his hands.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »
When I was a kid, had 3 speed bike and father disconnected the handle brakes. Reason is cause the handle brakes were front brakes only and at the time there had been some other kids in some pretty bad accidents that were caused by going at a high rate of speed and then using only front brakes and flipping bike over.  One kid in area was even killed that way.  Couse, this is also back in the day when there wasnt such a thing as helmets.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »
Jeri,

I'm SO proud of you.
A year ago, the bike riding wouldn't have been possible for you.

I'm very glad to hear that John is joining in and taking care of his health.

What he said to you was very nice..touching.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 09:47:42 PM »
Yeah, a year ago I was contemplating the dire, impending, progression from cane to wheelchair. It was inevitible the way I was going.

I tell ya, this drug is a miracle in pill form. To just feel the carpet against my feet is a big BIG improvement for me. To be riding a bike is just incredible. I had the biggest grin on my face while tears poured from my eyes. You just can't know.

And John is a trooper. He's not doing this for a fling and going to give up...I can tell. Every day he comes up with more ideas about how he might deal with his newfound health issues. Today I went to the health food store and got plant sterols in pill form. The lady who was working didn't know of Cholseterinum, so if I get that it will probably have to be from that website mentioned earlier. He HAD to have something TODAY, tho, to get him started.

He's taking multivitamins, the plant sterols and eating low sodium, low carb, no red meat diet. And he's going through alcohol withdrawal even tho he insists he's not. He's got insomnia at night and wanders around looking for fruit to eat.

If anyone can make a change from shear willpower, then he's GOING to change.

After all this is over and becomes a way of life without being painfully different from what he's been used to, THAT'S when I'm going to start nagging about the cigarettes. :0771

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 10:35:27 PM »
maybe make him something special with honey?  biscuit with honey, tea with honey, basically anything with honey.  It'll help with withdrawals.  Even tablespoons of honey by themselves will help.

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »
To be riding a bike is just incredible. I had the biggest grin on my face while tears poured from my eyes. You just can't know.

Words can not express how I feel right now, how happy I am for you, how proud I am of you for not giving up and so much more.  You truly are an inspiration and I'm sure that's the main reason John is doing so well, he has you to inspire him :heartB

:-*

:woman

:bighug

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 07:06:28 AM »
maybe make him something special with honey?  biscuit with honey, tea with honey, basically anything with honey.  It'll help with withdrawals.  Even tablespoons of honey by themselves will help.
This was mentioned on Intervention the other evening on A & E and stated how it helps to the withdrawal symptoms.

Here's some others:
Electrolyte replacement might help (the sachets you can get for diarrhoea are the best), along with plenty of liquids.

Complex carbohydrates (like brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholegrain cereals etc.) will help to slowly stabilize your blood sugar levels.

Eggs contain Cysteine, which can help the liver to metabolize Acetaldehyde (the toxic by-product of alcohol).

B-vitamin supplements are essential, as they help your nerve cells to recover from the damage .

EverythingNice

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Homeopathynotes.com
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 07:30:58 AM »
If you can get the homeopathic remedy (in pellet form) Coffea cruda, that should help him sleep. Remedy is made from coffee beans. Regular coffee keeps one awake and can cause nervousness and jitters. Homeopathic coffee has the opposite effect.

Description here...
http://www.squidoo.com/coffea         

Can purchase from Boericke & Tafel (homeopathic pharmacy in business since 1835 in the US). Dosage recommendations here too.

http://www.herbspro.com/14387/CoffeaCruda30C.htm

Sounds like both of you are on the right path. I am so happy for you!  :D!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf