Author Topic: MEGA Brands Magtastik and Magnetix, Jr. Recall  (Read 2369 times)

ICToys.com

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
MEGA Brands Magtastik and Magnetix, Jr. Recall
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »
Magnetix Recall

MEGA Brands Recalls Magtastik and Magnetix Jr. Pre-School Magnetic Toys; Ingested Magnets Pose Aspiration and Intestinal Hazards

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Magtastik and Magnetix Jr. Pre-school Magnetic Toys

Units: About 1.1 million

Distributor: MEGA Brands America Inc., of Livingston, N.J

Hazard: Magnets in the small flexible parts of the animals, vehicles and building sets can detach. Magnets found by young children can be swallowed or aspirated. If more than one magnet is swallowed, the magnets can attract each other and cause intestinal perforations or blockages, which can be fatal.

Description: The Magtastik and Magnetix Jr. Pre-school Magnetic Toys include small flexible parts embedded with magnets that allow the parts to connect to large, colored metal balls.

Check the link above for specific recalled products.

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled toys immediately and return them to MEGA Brands for a free replacement toy.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact MEGA Brands at (800) 779-7122 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.megabrands.com

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
Re: MEGA Brands Magtastik and Magnetix, Jr. Recall
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »
I bought some Magnetix a few years back and was totally unimpressed with them. Some of the magnets did come out of the ends of the flexible plastic parts, but I just tossed them since I didn't have any small, part-eating kids around any more. My son was beyond that stage.

That didn't sound right...sounded like if I did have part-eating kids I'd have fed them to them. oops. What I mean is I didn't get bent out of shape and take them back.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

ICToys.com

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »
There are no reports of any serious injuries:
Incidents/Injuries: MEGA Brands and CPSC have received 19 reports of magnets coming loose, including one report of a 3-year-old boy receiving medical treatment to remove a magnet from his nasal cavity and one report of an 18-month-old boy with a magnet in his mouth, which was not swallowed.

wahm922

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »
Weren't these things recalled years ago because of the small round ball magnets?  I know I read about them being a hazard somewhere thats why we never got any :?

VintageSilver

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 11:22:16 PM »
Magnetix users/owners here  :-[  They are highly regarded in our house for their use with geometry and physics, but we are also way beyond kids who swallow toys.

I can see how they'd be lethal.  I also saw the Grey's Anatomy episode that dealt with those balls.

We're very careful with how we store them - never missing any pieces, lest a visitor with babies would run into a stray... :0195

ICToys.com

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:25:31 AM »
The items being recalled look to all be for younger kids.

We carried the Magnetix iCoaster at Christmas and it is a cool toy but it also marketed to an age range that one would think would know to not eat any loose magnets.

VintageSilver

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »
ICoaster is what DD wants for her birthday next week.  Wonder if any stores still have it?  Starting my shopping today, wish me luck!

ICToys.com

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »
Amazon is in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnetix-28396U-I-Coaster/dp/B000EQHK26/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1205857811&sr=8-1

If you have Prime, it's a sweet deal with free 2 day shipping!

ICToys.com

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 12:38:30 PM »
Some info on past magnet recalls and cpsc.gov alerts.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml07/07163.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf