Author Topic: Anyone heard from WayOutWest?  (Read 6504 times)

chisumtrailmercantile

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone heard from WayOutWest?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 12:58:58 PM »
I didn't know that could happen - that sounds pretty scarey.  It never ceases to amaze me what I learn on this board -

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 02:09:39 PM »
Finally got electric and internet WHOOHOO!  Sadly, many areas are still without power and probably will continue to be without for at least another couple of weeks if not longer   :-(

backfeeding powergrid - yeah, a definate must to disconnect house from power pole before hooking things up.  (threw breakers at pole first then did the rigging of generator to house ;) )

For those that dont know how to, and are pretty proficient at do-it-yourself stuff, how to hook generator to house:

WARNING: Doing this can damage your items in your house, can cause an electrical fire, and/or result in death!   Proceed at your own risk and be very very careful !!

First, be absolutely sure to turn off the power at the pole, like eotrg posted, you dont want to cause a lineman to get electrocuted and killed (happened to a lineman in Oklahoma back during ice storm in January  :-( ).   Can also cause problems when the power comes back on in your area.

If you cannot figure out how to turn off the power at the pole, do NOT proceed!

Make sure everything in the house is turned off and trip all the breakers in the house.

Get a heavy duty cord and attach a male end to the one end, such that it has male connectors on both ends.  (some of the better options for heavy duty cords are cords made for travel trailers or a length of wiring sold by hardware store for wiring of houses - in which case you will need to attach two male connectors)

Plug the cord into a socket on the house. Do NOT plug it in to the generator yet!  (if you plug into the generator first and start the generator, you risk electrocuting yourself with the other male end cause it will be hot!)

Start the generator

Plug the cord (that is already plugged into the house outlet) into the generator.

You have now hooked your house up to your generator.

Turn on ONLY the breakers you need for the items you need, being careful to not overload your generator.  Overloading the generator can damage the unit and can damage items in your house (such as the compressor on your fridge or freezer).

Overloading can also start an electrical fire because of pulling too much power through the cord and the house outlet.   If either starts to feel hot, shut things down immediately!

When the electric comes back on in your neighborhood, do the following in this order:
turn off everything in the house
turn off the breakers in the house
turn off the generator
unplug the cord from the house and then from the generator
turn on electric at the pole
turn on breakers in the house

Your house has two sides to the wiring - essentially an A side and a B side.   As a result, you will only be able to run items that are on the same side as the outlet where you plugged in your generator.  Ie: my house has two bathrooms on B, the hot water heater for the bathrooms on B, the yard light on B, the kitchen appliances on B, and the kitchen outlets on B.   Everything else is on A.  As a result, I was able to run the blower for the central heat (propane powered heater), keep the items in the chest freezer cold, and watch the news on tv.   If you have items that dont seem to get power, theyre most likely on the other side from where you plugged in.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:13:21 PM by WayOutWest »

shelz013

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 04:22:35 PM »
I figured you had power back by the looks of the new post page with your name all the way down the right side!
Good to know about the generator. Thanks.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 06:23:10 PM »
I figured you had power back by the looks of the new post page with your name all the way down the right side!
Are you implying I'm a post-whore?   :laugh:

Good to know about the generator. Thanks

welcome.  the biggies are to not electrocute yourself or the linemen, not to burn out motors on fridge, etc., and not to cause an electrical fire.

Guess I shoulda also mentioned that unless you have a huge generator it wont put out enough power to run an electric-based central heat system.  But if large enough (one have here is 3000watt) can run the blower on a propane powered central heater.

My father rigged one up to house years ago when I was little and storm put out power for a couple of weeks.  So, I knew it could be done.  Talked with electrician to get the ins-and-outs before trying it, though.

Oh, and dont do like several here have done - dont run the generator inside your garage (that is, unless you want to die from carbon monoxide poisoning).   Every day on news theyve told about yet another family that either died or ended up in hospital cause of doing that.  *shaking head*

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 06:25:55 PM by WayOutWest »

TazFromPa

• Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • TazfromPa Good Stuff, Great Prices
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 08:23:58 PM »
Glad to hear you are finally recovering from the storm. We got what was left of it here in Cresson PA on Thursday and thankfully were spared for the most part. Just some traffic accidents and sporadic power outages. The weird thing is on Tuesday it was 67 degrees here and when I saw that weather I thought no way were we going to get the ice storm they were predicting!

shelz013

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 11:24:28 PM »
Post -whore... well, Yes, that IS what I'm saying! :nana :0240

We've never had the need for a generator (knock on wood).Of course, it's not cold enough here, and we've always been really lucky with the hurricanes. Longest I personally have been without power was during a hurricane in Tampa..3 days. It was hot (and I was preggo, so I was even hotter), but we were able to get takeout from across town. Even after Hurricane Andrew in Miami, we had power back up pretty soon.
I've never lived where it snows, so this may not even make sense, but wouldn't it be more convenient for the customer, and cost effective in the long run if the power line ran under ground instead of fixing them every time an ice storm or tornado knocked them down?

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 11:27:51 PM »
I've never lived where it snows, so this may not even make sense, but wouldn't it be more convenient for the customer, and cost effective in the long run if the power line ran under ground instead of fixing them every time an ice storm or tornado knocked them down?

In modern developments, that's exactly what they do.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 01:38:30 AM »
In modern developments, that's exactly what they do.

My place is like that BUT trust me we still have power outages.  The green boxes where the connections are all at great water in them or a car hits them etc.  And it there's too much snow and the boxes get barried and the snow melts into them BINGO no power.

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
Here too -  no power lines in residential developments, no phone lines, etc - everything is buried.

Water is the biggest problem for us as well.

Well, and the main power lines outside of the neighborhoods that send it around town.  Hard to get in the grocery store when their power doors won't open and no one knows where the manual release is!  (as happened to use last week) ???

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2007, 10:23:38 AM »
----> Not posted by electrician, LOL
I read this thread way back, but not since the postings about the generator hookup business.
We never had a generator until the first hurricane hit FL in 2004 (Charley). Now we have one, thank you, FEMA.  :heartkiss We had a friend who is a journeyman put a hookup to our house so we could backfeed power to the house. We can run anything but the main HVAC off this generator and can run a little window unit to dehumidify and cool the living room area some. All those nasty hurricanes hit in August and September, which is still WAY hot and muggy here, and all the moisture in the air from the storms makes it even worse.  :-(
We have no way to disconnect at the pole itself, but we have a main disconnect on the end of the house (to the pole), and were very careful to do that before cranking up the generator, and turning it off before putting the disconnect back on. We heard all about the risk to the linemen and absolutely would not endanger them! Bad enough we were praying we wouldn't damage our home...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf