Author Topic: Jewelry folks, Anyone --- can you reccommend a drill???  (Read 7614 times)

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
Jewelry folks, Anyone --- can you reccommend a drill???
« on: November 03, 2007, 01:50:36 AM »
Ok, we been using a Dremel drill to drill through several layers - mylar, papar, metal, plastic - not thick at all.
Our drill had an attachment that was like a pen - for engraving and stuff, it held the thin drill bit just fine too. 
Guess we over worked it because we are in need of another drill already.
The Dremel is just over heating way to fast and won't drill through the metal.  The mylar actually starts to melt because of the heat of the drill bit.

We thought it was the bit so we ran out and got new ones. Same thing happened.

We got to be able to drill holes.  This drill lasted only 2 months!!

We need something that can drill through mylar, papar, metal, plastic that is easy to handle. 
We tryied using a normal hold hold drill but it's too big and bulky and makes it hard to see exactly where this tiny hole is being drilled - not to mention due to the weight of the drill makes your arm tired really fast.

Can anyone recommend a good drill?

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
Re: Jewelry folks, Anyone --- can you reccommend a drill???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 02:34:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure the jewelry makers I know use Dremels.

Maybe you need a different kind of bit and not just a new bit? Like a diamond-tipped one?  Drilling can be a hot process...that's why a lot of milling machines have water running to cool the metal. (Ever see it on American Chopper?)

Maybe you could pre-drill the metal before doing whatever assembly you do, then push through the mylar quickly?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:40:15 AM »
the right drill bit will definately make a huge difference.  For items that cant be cooled with water, you can use beeswax or a wax-baxed bur lubricant to lubricate your bit. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 02:58:34 AM by WayOutWest »

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 02:47:25 AM »
I'm looking at my tools and equipment catalog from a jewelry supply place. It says "Keep it cool! Always use a lubricant when running diamond burs, wheels, and drills to avoid premature wear on the abrasive surface caused by excess heat. Use water, Bur-Life, or Tool-Cool Lubricant to keep your tools cool."

There are a lot of different bits in here. The hollow diamond core bits mention they are hollow for drilling holes faster. There are pages and pages of burs, bits, etc.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 03:06:31 AM »
We been using Dewalt titanium tips - says use with wood, plastic and metal

Home Depot didn't have any that said diamond tips on them - lol, we read them all. At least not in the tiny size we use.

I would be afraid to put anything on the tip as it might stain the paper.

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:39:11 AM »
Drill?  I always used a punch. Looked like a little clothespin with a screw in the tip, and would easily put a hole in a silver dollar.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 04:08:31 AM »
Drill?  I always used a punch. Looked like a little clothespin with a screw in the tip, and would easily put a hole in a silver dollar.

A regulare hole punch won't work.  You have a link to what you are talking about that would put a hole in a silver dollar?

Not sure a punch would work as it might bend the edge before getting the hole through it.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 04:30:04 AM »
jeweler drill bits are a bit different than what you'll typically find in the hardware store (but can sometimes find them in the dremel accessories section)

This is actually a bur, rather than a bit, but - Diamond jeweler's bit

Other diamond coated burs

couple examples of carbide burs

Important - when using shaped burs (such as that carbide ball bur) NEVER go past the halfway point on the tip. 

Twisted drill bit - diamond coated - often used for drilling beads

Dunno if that helps or not...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 04:40:48 AM by WayOutWest »

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 06:10:19 AM »
A regulare hole punch won't work.  You have a link to what you are talking about that would put a hole in a silver dollar?

Not sure a punch would work as it might bend the edge before getting the hole through it.

The place didn't have a website 30 years ago.  It was basically a block of aluminum with a slot cut out (where you put the coin).  Near the tip was a threaded punch that you operated by turning it like the key of a canned ham, except it turned in place instead of going around the edge.

kolstromkreations

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Gemstone Jewelry
    • View Profile
    • MysticTopaz.net
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 07:18:20 AM »
400XPR from Dremel and 220-01 workstation.  http://www.dremel.com
This one's nice because it has adjustable speeds, which is as important as the proper tool and feedrate.  You can replace the brushes when you burn them up.  The workstation will reduce fatigue, and you could put a jig on it so repetitive parts are positioned precisely.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 04:42:02 PM »
BF -- since I have no clue what you are talking about I really have no way to look for it to figure out if it would work for us or not.

kolstromkreations - I searched both 220-01 workstation and 400XPR at http://www.dremel.com and dont' see what you are talking about.

The Dremel we were using was very nice.  The "pen" like attachement made it very easy to control and lightweight. 

However, I fear buying another Dremel since it only lasted 2 months. 

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 04:46:39 PM »
Here's the 400XPR Kolstrom was referring to linky

i like the Foredom better.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 04:52:10 PM by WayOutWest »

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 04:58:48 PM »
There are all sorts of punches out there. Sometimes it's as simple as a hollow tipped thing you tap the top of to punch a hole. I think Fred is talking about one that is on a stand, and you can set it so you insert the item to be punched in all the way and it will be perfectly lined up.

The dremel site has a spot on the right where you can say what you want to do and to what material. They also talk about their CS helping you pick the right tool for the job. Take them up on it ;) Then you can purchase from whomever you like.

The catalog I emailed you about talks about using the right bur for the job. I got the impression you could burn out your motor fast if you weren't using the right combo of drill, bur, and lube if needed. I have a feeling the problem wasn't so much the Dremel, but not using the right motor and/or bur/bit for the job and burning it out.

BTW you mention drilling through metal. Some metal is a lot harder than other metal and that will make a difference in what you need.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 05:04:30 PM »
another tip - dont run the drill motor at full speed.  Full speed can cause the bit to heat up too much and lose its tempering and become dull.  (and those are some of the same reasons to use a lubricant, if possible. Plus the lubricant will help ease strain on motor)

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 06:31:02 PM »
BT - have you considered using a tabletop drill press?  They make them for very small operations as well.  My dad works on custom golf clubs and uses a really nice (and not too expensive) tabletop drill press.  He bought his from a tool catalog - but I know you can get them at HD and Lowe's.

Just a thought.   :?

We use our Dremel for everything at our house - and the right bit is essential  :up

kolstromkreations

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Gemstone Jewelry
    • View Profile
    • MysticTopaz.net
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 07:59:49 PM »
220-01 workstation  It's under attachments.

Foredom does it too.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 10:28:48 PM »
Here's the 400XPR Kolstrom was referring to linky

i like the Foredom better.

That 400XPR is similar if not exactly what we were using.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »
We were saving up for something like that work station.  BUT now we have this drill issue to get fixed by Monday. 

I think Monday we will spend making phone calls and asking lots of question in an attempt to figure out what is the best drill and bits for our needs.

Thanks everyone for your replies!  Drills are something I am lucky enough to figure out how to turn on!  lol

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »
Think outside the box.  I used to use a drill to remove the gold tips from mounted diamonds. One hit on the diamond, and even a carbide, titanium or tungstem bit is shot.

So I used cheapie sand bits.  When they hit diamond, they just disintegrated, but quickly ate away any surrounding gold.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 01:40:15 AM »
Think outside the box.  I used to use a drill to remove the gold tips from mounted diamonds. One hit on the diamond, and even a carbide, titanium or tungstem bit is shot.

So I used cheapie sand bits.  When they hit diamond, they just disintegrated, but quickly ate away any surrounding gold.

I can't think out of the box when I don't even know what's in the box.
That's WHY I am here asking people that might have a clue about these things - because I will be the first to admit I know NOTHING NOTHING at all!
I just know that in 3 days we sold another 52 pairs of earrings and don't have a drill to make them with!

I don't see how your comments are helping me at all.
You mention using a punch - which I can not locate on the web at all searching hole punch for metal
I really like that idea if infact it's doable, portable, and small enough to carry.
That's the problem with a drill press set up - not very portable for moving around a house to hide when needed or to transport from show to show - at least they don't LOOK like they are.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf