Author Topic: Air Mail Question  (Read 10597 times)

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
Air Mail Question
« on: October 27, 2007, 10:11:42 AM »
Can you use regular stamps on a letter going out of the states?  Can I just drop it in the mail like a regular letter?

Thanks!

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Re: Air Mail Question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 10:19:07 AM »
as long as it has the proper amount for international mail, yes.

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »
Thank you, that will make this much easier :up

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 11:09:45 AM »
One minor note, the stamps have to have a denomination.  You can't use for example E stamps, or forever stamps.  Those are only good in the US.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:44:56 AM »
Thanks BF - good to know because I usually get my stamps while making a deposit at the ATM and it only spits out the forever stamps.  I did have to go to the PO the other day so I was able to pick up a regular book of stamps.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 12:03:11 AM »
Forever stamps can not be used more then one at a time on a first class envelope.  Learned that when using 2 of the forever stamps to cover 80¢ postage got 20 catalogue envelopes returned to us. AND the PO won't refund them!  So ended up being out the 40 forever stamps used!

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 12:46:39 AM »
That makes sense, but wow, I sure would have liked to know that  before hand.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 12:59:55 AM »
I never really thought about it - just thought 41 plus 41 is 82 so the 80 I needed was covered - NOT!

So now you all know. 
sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 01:04:20 AM »
That's good to know. I wonder why they do that?

I hate how they don't refund postage. If you put a lot on and are short a few pennies, you'd think they'd refund that, but no...

I had a bubble mailer going to Canada that the postal service machines managed to rip to shreds. The pieces were returned to me in a plastic bag (the contents were intact-a testament to my overpacking!). No offer to refund the couple bucks postage on the package, when it wasn't my fault it didn't go through. Fortunately that one had a nice buyer...it took USPS a few weeks to send me the pathetic package back when it only made it a state away.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
Forever stamps can not be used more then one at a time on a first class envelope.  Learned that when using 2 of the forever stamps to cover 80¢ postage got 20 catalogue envelopes returned to us. AND the PO won't refund them!  So ended up being out the 40 forever stamps used!

Why does 41+41 not = enough to cover 80 in postage? You flew way over my head on that one and I have one product that I send in a 6x9 mailer with 2 forever stamps all the time. Haven't had any returned so far, but I'm interested to know why postage I paid for is not considered acceptable when used in combination with other postage I paid for. It's like saying my $1 bills are no good if I try to pay for something using 2 of them.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 09:43:42 AM »
I've also sent envelopes with more then one forever stamp on them - never had a problem.  I would be interested in seeing if anyone can find some info on this.

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 08:07:03 PM »
Yeah, I don't get it -- a stamp's a stamp. It's just means that much less the USPS potentially loses in profit after the next rate hike.

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 08:09:26 PM »
Oh, and Danielle -- I'm sure you know this but if an int'l package is 1 pound or more then it's gotta be handed off to a USPS employee in person. At least I think it's still 16 ounces -- I seem to remember something about 13 oz but maybe I dreamed that.

I think it has to be handed in person if the package requires a Customs form too.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 09:08:35 PM »
^ one of the many reasons I really like endicia and really like my mail carrier.  With endicia I can print the customs forms (usually as part of the address label) and my mail carrier takes anything I put in the mailbox, including international w/ my endicia-printed customs forms.   :h0161

Sade

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Fancy Flappers Unique Costumes
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 10:50:17 PM »
I'm sure you know this but if an int'l package is 1 pound or more then it's gotta be handed off to a USPS employee in person.

4lbs or more.  ;)

I think it has to be handed in person if the package requires a Customs form too.

not if you prepay on line and print your forms.
Flapper Dresses, Unique Flapper Costumes, 1920's Dress, Roaring 20's Fashion, accessories included.
http://fancyflappers.com/

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 06:09:32 AM »
When we got back the 20 envelopes that all had 2 of the forever stamps on them = 82¢
trust me I immediately drove to the PO with them - ok it took me 40 minutes to get to my partners house to retrieve them - when I got to the PO, I had to speak to the supervisor of the front line who had to can the district manage in the Denver office because they had no clue either.
The District office faxed over a memo that was dated just 2 days before this --- this happened in mid September or so when we started the earring business. 
The memo came from someone in the Washington office - I think it said - it clearly stated that forever stamps can not be combined with other stamps of different or the same value - something like that.  I remember it also said something like the forever stamp has no value other then to send a ONE Ounce letter. 

Not sure where my 20 packages got kicked back from but obviously someone got them that had just read that memo.

You all that have been putting more then one on a item are just lucky I guess.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 02:27:17 PM »
That's the end of THAT then, I guess. Thank you so much for being the one to get caught and spare the rest of us.  :-X
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 02:49:50 PM »
4lbs or more.  ;)

You mean 4 lbs or more if you print your postage online?

I know the 16-ounce rule applies for domestic packages (with stamps) so I guess I assumed it would be the same for int'l as well. That was one of those Homeland Security things after 9/11..

not if you prepay on line and print your forms.

Yes! But if you use regular stamps you gotta stand in line.

Apparently you have to stand in line for online-printed Express Mail or Priority Mail too. It's so danged complicated...

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc1_008.htm

Sade

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Fancy Flappers Unique Costumes
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 03:05:16 PM »
Apparently you have to stand in line for online-printed Express Mail or Priority Mail too. It's so danged complicated...

Only Express US & Int'l, and International 1st class, unless you have stamps at home for the 1st class. Priority up to 4lbs, with a prepayed label and customs form, can go out on the porch.
Flapper Dresses, Unique Flapper Costumes, 1920's Dress, Roaring 20's Fashion, accessories included.
http://fancyflappers.com/

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 05:04:07 PM »
I use Endicia so I don't have these worries anymore

I have Endicia now set up to do the earrings as well.  Since that was a different location was unsure about the how-to's in the beginning.  No more stamps for us! 
Especially since the PO don't make a 80¢ stamp and that is the cost to mail these out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf