• Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
Re: 103.6
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 05:00:41 PM »
That probably didn't come out right, I was never a GS myself just a leader for Brownie troop when I was working with kids.

As far as BS being expensive I think it is - was $48 to sign up and included nothing, everything else needs to be bought as well.  Uniform shirt, pants, socks, tshirts, sash, books and I'm sure there's more I missed so far from the homework I've done all this would cost over $100.

The first outing was a baseball game in Tampa (Devil Rays) and then sleeping on the field - no tents allowed to watch a movie on the big screen.  That was $30 a person so we didn't go plus what fun is it to be so called camping out in a domed stadium with AC :laugh:

Next outing, the hike was only $5 a person so we are going to that :up

He played soccer for 4 seasons but didn't want to this time - that was 10 weeks and cost $75 from the YMCA.  I think its cheaper if they sit home and play video games (couse mine doesn't know what one is)  :laugh:

So that $20 Karate sounds like a good deal to me - I say go for it!

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 05:10:54 PM »
We used our City Rec's Department...Talk about dirt cheap.

Ballet, Basketball, Belly Dancing, Golf, Tennis, Tai-Chi, Weight Lifting and so very much more.....

Two dollars a week with no set time frame or 20.00 for three months.

Can't beat that deal. Check out your city parks and rec. 

Sade

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Fancy Flappers Unique Costumes
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 05:48:56 PM »
So that $20 Karate sounds like a good deal to me - I say go for it!

It's only a good deal if he gets tired of it in 3 visits. Then it's $90 a month and tournaments which cost like $130 each. I think, I know it's expensive.
Flapper Dresses, Unique Flapper Costumes, 1920's Dress, Roaring 20's Fashion, accessories included.
http://fancyflappers.com/

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »
I was a Daisy Girl Scout Leader and a Brownie leader when our girls were that age. I had an extra fund set up for any girl who could not afford to go to an event and also  if there was any girl who could not afford their uniform or dues. Plus, our local Girl Scouts Council store also sold used uniforms and books. (They can also often be found on eBay, and then you just have to buy your own local patches and sew them on, so that saves a lot of money.)

As a leader I would never leave a child out because they could not pay, I knew who those "at-risk" girls were, and if it looked as if they could not attend or were hesitating due to cost, I would go ahead and pay for it out of my pocket or the troop funds if we had them. It was quite amazing to me that somehow, some way, it always worked out that we would end up with enough money in our kitties to do everything we wanted and needed to do. (The other moms and dads were great about chipping in an extra buck or so whenever we were planning an activity that had a cost involved.)

Those were wonderful times, and that brings back a lot of great memories of when the girls were young. :heartB Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 07:25:50 PM »
Same here Deborah.

We (my 2 g/friends and I) set up "slush" funds out of our own pocket for those that couldn't afford to do whatever was being done.

The used uniforms were a Godsend...and also most of our girls had older sisters that handed down their uniforms..but not the badges. <smile>

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2007, 10:21:02 PM »
I was a Girl Scout through 8th grade. I was at the Junior level (second-highest level) when I stopped. There just were so few girls doing it after we hit junior high, and almost none at high school level. The boys in our area had MUCH more active scouts at high school age. My brother is one of many Eagle Scouts from his group.

We used to buy my uniforms used as much as possible, from area consignment shops, other troop members, etc. We would buy the sash new, because that wasn't too expensive and gets everyhing sewn to it so wouldn't hold up so well to reuse.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2007, 10:43:43 PM »
My brother is one of many Eagle Scouts from his group.
We would buy the sash new, because that wasn't too expensive and gets everyhing sewn to it so wouldn't hold up so well to reuse.
How proud you must be of your brother making Eagle Scout...quite the honor.
When a young man hits Eagle Scout, they are spotlit in the local newspaper with an article stating what their final project was and how long it took to achieve it and an interview with the Eagle Scout.

I agree, boys followed through till the end of high school more so than girls. Girls started dropping like flies come middle school and most definitely before high school.

Yep..the sash was always new. Consignments, eBay, the Girl Scout Council Office..there are always used uniforms that are in good shape to be found.

Myself and my two co-troop leaders had a quasi-agreement written out with the parents of our group. We had a rotating calendar. Each parent signed up for being responsible for snacks and drink three times throughout the year. It worked real well and the daughters were always real proud of their parents contribution. AND it was always a group effort when putting on holiday parties...as it was so much fun and most times a badge was involved also.

Good Times.

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2007, 11:11:49 PM »
 :hello3

Danielle!!  Don't you DARE spend money like that for Cub Scouts.  Ahem, you happen to know someone 'well connected' in that area...and you know how to reach me outside of this forum!  I'll hook him up, and I must say that your pack has RIPPED you off, if they told you those fees didn't include at least the handbook.   :0195  Also, the Council has what is called a 'campership' fund for ANYONE who applies.  It will subsidize the purchase of anything the pack requires you to have for your son.  They'll ask you to contribute what you can (can be anything from $1.00 to whatever) and they'll handle the rest.  It's confidential between you and the council.  Just call em  ;)  It's not just for camp - that's just the bsa name for it.

Ryan will complete his Eagle by spring.  He's taking on a large project for Greensburg, a city that was (literally) wiped off the map on May 4th west of us.  Due to the civic involvement, it'll take more than the 90 days the boys usually plan on for their Eagle project.  We're really proud of him, and he'll be the 4th  Eagle Scout in our (combined) families between DH and I.  I met DH by helping on HIS Eagle project (back in about, oh, 1923...)   :laugh:

At any rate...needless to say, I'm a very strong advocate for scouting.  It's just another way for boys to learn and grow into the young men we all hope they'll become.  I also think community sports are the way to go.   :up  Around here, they're almost a bigger organization than school sports, with the exception of HS football.

eotrg2

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2007, 09:04:57 AM »
A lot of BS talk going on here!!!  :0240 Oh that BS of A talk. Yep, I too am the holder of one of those bald bird patches. Received my Eagle in the largest Eagle Court of Honor in history at the time. 14 of us received our Eagle at the same time. That wasn't quite 1923, but it was 1963. That VintageSilver is getting OLD. Might want to get out the silver polish for her.

There are a TON of readily available sources for scouting $$. But you are going to have to take the step of asking for it. As a new member neither the council, nor the pack leaders can read your mind or your checkbook.

David

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »
A lot of BS talk going on here!!!  :0240 Oh that BS of A talk. Yep, I too am the holder of one of those bald bird patches.
Good one David! <smile> Quite an honor oh yes it is.

Every organization, albeit school based, community or whatever has money stashed for members who don't have the money at the time. It's always worked into the budget.

^Kim,

High School Football...Love, Love, Love it! I know what you mean...Friday Nights in the South mean just one thing...High School Football!

Go Dreadnaughts!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf