Author Topic: Weird phone call yesterday.  (Read 9408 times)

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
Weird phone call yesterday.
« on: September 23, 2007, 08:43:07 AM »
When I was gone yesterday taking the kids to Lowes, we got a phone call. John is notorious for screwing up the message and forgetting who it was who actually called, but nonetheless the message he took scared me.

He said someone from Paypal called asking to speak to me about suspicious activity on my debit card. They gave him an 800 number and told him to have me call back.

I get home and go directly to paypal on the net and nothing looks out of wack on my account; no suspicious activity that I could see. Then I checked email for any contact from Paypal. Nothing.

I then call Paypal and curse my way through the menu so that I can speak to a human. I am put on hold and wait until I feel an inordinate number of my cell minutes have been eaten up before I hang up without having resolved the issue.

John says "call the number" and I say "it's probably a scam" he says "don't give out any info, just see who they are" and I say "they're going to say they are Paypal, doesn't mean they are."

I gave up and called the number: 1-800-830-8574

A computer answers and says "Thank you for calling Credit Verification. If you are returning the call from the same phone on which you received the message, please press one."

I hung up.

Then I googled the number and found a forum where people discuss phone numbers and debate if they are legitimate or scams. It was half and half as far as what the consensus was.

Someone who got the call and answered it rather than getting a message and having to return the call said that she was asked for the last 4 digits of her card number and to verify her name, then to verify the last several transactions made on the card.

I'd like to know why, if it is legitimate, doesn't Paypal have any info on their site regarding the possibility that you might be contacted this way, or at least an email that goes out at the same time verifying the phone call. It creeped me out. No way would I even give them the last 4 of the card number. It still sounds like a scam to me.

www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Re: Weird phone call yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 09:01:52 AM »
it prolly was a scam.   Very common scam to call and pretend to be card company, etc.  Sometimes they even have the card number and are just working on getting you to give over the security code on the back of the card. 

hopefully he didnt give out any info.

edit to add - i went to whocalled.us http://whocalled.us/lookup/8008308574 and very mixed posts about whether it's legit or not.  Better safe than sorry, though ;)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:07:20 AM by WayOutWest »

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:13:19 AM »
Yeah, I think that's the site I went to also.

No, he didn't give out any info because he doesn't have any. LOL whew!
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

Sade

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Fancy Flappers Unique Costumes
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 10:49:23 AM »
I've had PP call me several times if they think somethings up with my credit card transactions.
Flapper Dresses, Unique Flapper Costumes, 1920's Dress, Roaring 20's Fashion, accessories included.
http://fancyflappers.com/

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 11:29:53 AM »
Paypal has called me also.

Normally it's in response to my initial phone call to customer service. Several times they haven't had the answer and must check with a higher up.

I tell them I'll hold for a few minutes but after that they can call me back on their own dime.

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 05:02:37 PM »

This may help  you and others when they want to get a human when they call a company.

http://gethuman.com/us/

out of msny that are listed here is the payenemy one.

PayPal Buyer Credit   F  866‑571‑3012  Say "agent" at each prompt, ignoring messages. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf