Author Topic: Lousy sales this week and then ???  (Read 11027 times)

denverdoni

• Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Rainbow Creek Creations
Lousy sales this week and then ???
« on: July 04, 2007, 12:28:25 AM »
I was anxious to get back to listing some items after a few weeks off for the personal time and the wedding. Big mistake, I forgot about the holiday and vacations and had horrible sales, only 2  quilt kits sold for starting price and then at the end of auction 2 vintage quilts sold for the low starting price. Oh well, I went to send the invoice and the person was in Belgium. OUCH! the shipping was $52 Priority or $67 express for combined items. That is actual shipping, not applying my usual $2 discount for 2nd item which would be $74 priority. I emailed her and she said send it the cheapest possible, she would be gone for a fortnight and did not need them til Sept.  Hello, I don't want to want to wait 2 months and have you complain that they did not arrive! These are not items that I can replace either. I sent the invoice for priority and have not heard anything back yet. Truth be told I would just as soon not consumate this deal and relist later when things are picking up a little in the market. If she responds with payment of course I will ship them, but if she thinks she has a fortnight to pay what would you do? File a dispute and wait it out or is there any way to blow this deal off?  I just don't feel good about this, and maybe it is just seller's remorse because I didn't get any bidding on them. Would you have charged the $74 according to your TOS?

I am probably jumping the gun in worrying about this, but usually buyers inquire about shipping before bidding and she didn't, and she responded right away to my first email and now I haven't heard from her. With my low sell through rate right now all it would take is one dissatisfied buyer to get me on ebay's whack list!  So I don't want to mishandle this and get in trouble, but if I never hear from her I am thinking of just letting it go and not filing a dispute.

Sade

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Fancy Flappers Unique Costumes
Re: Lousy sales this week and then ???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 01:04:53 AM »
Yeah well, don't feel alone. I had a vintage Little People lot with about 55 pieces end tonight, it had 9 watchers and sold for a measly $13.  :053

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! (I mean me for ending it tonight).  :s0147
Flapper Dresses, Unique Flapper Costumes, 1920's Dress, Roaring 20's Fashion, accessories included.
http://fancyflappers.com/

Sade

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Fancy Flappers Unique Costumes
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 01:09:01 AM »
How many days do you allow for payment? If she doesn't pay according to your time frame, relist it later. If she pays later down the road-refund and tell her payment was due in xxx amount of days and it's not available to her any longer.
Flapper Dresses, Unique Flapper Costumes, 1920's Dress, Roaring 20's Fashion, accessories included.
http://fancyflappers.com/

denverdoni

• Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 01:32:55 AM »
Actually I don't think I have any set time in my TOS. It has been a while since I wrote them and I try to be flexible since I sell in a low risk category and honestly rarely encounter a problem with my buyers.  I think it might be a good idea to add that though.

Sorry to hear about your little peeps, too. I think I will hold off on listing anytbing vintage until Sept.  I usually do OK with the quilts and was just looking to make some quick cash so I listed a few and most did not even get bids, which I guess was good.  I should have realized that this would be a bad week to list on ebay. I think I will probably take a little more time off from listing and work on some new items for now.

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 02:35:11 AM »
A fortnight is 10 business days, about what slowboat will take.  As long as she pays, this should be normal transit.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »
i also have an auction ending today. It was a relist of a 5-day auction and i wanted 7. learned earlier this week ebay no longer lets you change duration  ??? didn't realize it was ending on a holiday til now  :(
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 08:04:11 AM by serendipity »

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 01:38:55 PM »
I bought the chickmobile on eBay for WAY below book price because the auction ended at something like 2pm on Christmas day.  I hope you have better luck, Anne!   

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 02:46:15 PM »
I've always had good luck on holidays.

There are alot of persons who shop due to being off and having some down time.

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »
Plenty of people are buying bathing suits on ebay.  I'm watching the prices go up on the ones I'm watching, was hoping to score a great deal due to the holiday :(

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »
Christmas Day is always hopping (as far as selling, ha).

I NEVER discount holidays.

If you know your market and researched your market, hopefully you've learned the good times to sell.

Before I buy anything on eBay, I research the times of the day and days of the week to find the least busy..that's when I swoop in, snatch up that auction and make it mine!

castleb

• Able Advisor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Castle Blood
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 12:41:45 AM »
You should always specify a timeframe for payment to your buyers. I think mine is currently "payment is expected within 10 business days."  In the old days of eBay (1997), that was plenty of time for someone to mail a check or money order. Now buyers typically pay within 24 hours with PayPal, or a credit card through my regular merchant account.

Sorry your sales were bad this week.

I haven't had auctions running for a couple of months due to my "part time" real job turning into 50-hour weeks in April and May. I was too exhausted to list! Now my part time job is slower, but unfortunately eBay is, too.

Hopefully, things will improve after the July holiday and before everyone gets distracted by Labor Day and back to school.

--Karen

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 12:50:22 AM »
I've always had good luck on holidays.

There are alot of persons who shop due to being off and having some down time.

I have also been surprised on holidays. Books sell good when people have a day of. So when there is a long holidy meaning friday eve. to Mon. eve. sales are great.

July 4 book sales equals 8 books. I'm happy with that.

denverdoni

• Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 03:17:20 AM »
Still haven't heard from her yet.  I am not going to push the issue, so if I don't hear from her I will relist them much later.  OK, that sounds kind of bad, would you send at least one reminder to make sure she got the first invoice or not?

DD got jerked around by a NPB at Christmas on a PS2 she was counting on selling for Christmas money. She pulled it out and listed it again the other day, forgot that Wed was a holiday and was mad, figuring that it would go for too cheap or not at all.  She forgot to check on it until she checked her email that night and found it sold for $35 more than the NPB and was already paid for.  So they got to pay rent and feed the baby this week!  :D!

denverdoni

• Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 01:47:35 AM »
Update: She paid the full amount today with no argument so I shipped the quilts, of course to anunconfirmed addy since it is Belgium and PP was clear no seller protection. Wish me luck that they arrive OK. I didn't insure them, not sure if you can. They are vintage so I guess the value is subjective except if you can prove what you paid for them. I can't do that since they are inherited and only have tags on them showing what she paid. Any suggestions for future transactions  like this?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 01:55:26 AM »
availability of insurance through post office varies depending on shiment method and country.

You can insure through dsiinsurance.com, if you do it quick enough (i think have to do it same day as you shipped it)  Costs under $1 for $100 coverage for domestic, $1.40/$100 coverage for international.  Insured amount would be price she paid (for item & shipping)

edit - rate correction and looks like you have a day or two to buy the insurance.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 02:01:57 AM by wayoutwest »

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 03:36:27 AM »
What she paid is the insurance value, regardless of what they cost you.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »
What she paid is the insurance value, regardless of what they cost you

Is that always the case? I'm pretty sure DHL's claim paperwork says they only replace the wholesale cost. Which sucks, because the value is what the customer pays.

YELLOWSAND1964

• Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 08:42:14 PM »
we did a challenge in our store at PH, we already sold 4 wII'S  in other of our stores and we sell one Wii' for $400 and one game(action type) with Shipping :pc
let see how many answer to our challenge :)

MARY 8)

denverdoni

• Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 02:42:46 AM »
I am pretty sure with USPS it is what BF said. I sold them for approx. half of wholesale anyway.  I think there is delivery confirmation on Priority Mail international, but I am guessing that won't be much help since the address is unconfirmed.  I have usually had good luck with international shipping, even sent a few things to Italy and they made it fine. So I am expecting this one will be OK.  Just a little bummed about making the mistake of listing at such a bad time. 

dewrose

• Able Advisor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Which are the best days to sell then and ebooks???
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
I am new to all this selling stuff and am just setting up on ebay. I sell vintage and antiques such as prints, kitchen ware, and furniture. Yeh I know a broad range.  I wondered from all your experience, how long is it best to have the items to sell should be posted on ebay and what are the best days and times (est)  to start an auction and also to end on.  I also am intrested in selling some ebooks and wanted to know where is the best place to get free ebooks and is there any good instructions on how to do it? sorry for the long post and thanks. J  :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 02:36:05 PM by dewrose »
JLF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf