Author Topic: Let's Get Moving! (Exercise & Weight Loss Support Here!)  (Read 107685 times)

Lyn

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Stitched-By-Lyn
Re: Let's Get Moving! (Exercise & Weight Loss Support Here!)
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2007, 08:23:43 AM »
Isn't the recent heat here horrible! 90+ with 90+% humidity, YUCK!! 
Welcome to my world just about 24/7/365 here in Houston area.... :whew

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2007, 09:41:19 AM »
Florida has been pretty hot and steamy lately, too. It's 85 right now and not even 10 am yet. UGH. If it weren't for the pool I'd never go outside.  :0195
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2007, 11:21:26 AM »
The problem with 95 and humid here is that it's not usually quite this hot, and it gets cold in the winter time so we don't have thin blood like you floridians. We can get 30-degree temperature differences in a day or two. It's hard to get your body used to it. And our lifestyles just weren't designed for quite this much heat. Lots of homes and apartments without AC, etc.

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2007, 11:35:35 AM »
The problem with 95 and humid here is that it's not usually quite this hot, and it gets cold in the winter time so we don't have thin blood like you floridians. We can get 30-degree temperature differences in a day or two. It's hard to get your body used to it. And our lifestyles just weren't designed for quite this much heat. Lots of homes and apartments without AC, etc.
:agree2 :agree2
We are NOT used to this kind of heat and humidity here!  Plus tomorrow is my last appt for regular two or three times a week vists to Physical therapy. I wanted to give something to all the wonderful PT's that I have been working with for so many months, so I have been baking gourmet muffins for hours and even with central A/C, 4 hours of having the oven set at 400 degrees can make the kitchen uncomfortable when it is so hot outside! (I made 6 dozen muffins, of all kinds, Blueberry, Oat Bran with Craisins, Pumpkin Spice with Raisins, Banana with Walnuts, and now the last batch which will be Red Raspberry.)

Then I am done in the kitchen for the day, so I hope David is making dinner tonight! LOL, Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »
Those muffins sound so good!! I could almost drive up there just for a taste ;) So many wonderful flavors, but I think Pumpkin Spice intrigues me the most. I wonder how it'd taste with dates instead of raisins? On the rare occassion that I bake, I often sub dates for raisins and like the results so much better.

I love muffins. I just have to remind myself that most of them have so much fat and calories I might as well eat a chocolate cupcake. So I either don't indulge, or indulge marking it as a megacalorie dessert instead of thinking it's innocent fruit and bread.

That is very sweet of you to bake for your PT folks that tortured you for all these months ;) I guess it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. How many months since your surgery?

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »
They have actually been wonderful for me and to me. I am quite blessed to have had their help and guidance, even though I did complain about the pain involved in the rehab.

My surgery was on January 15th, so it has been 5 1/2 months. After this week, I will only be going to PT once a month for them to check on my progress.

As far as the dates go, I love them and seriously considered using them in place of the Craisins and/or the raisins. I didn't do that though, because it seems that many people do not care for dates, and I wanted the muffins to have a broader appeal. Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2007, 11:58:57 AM »
Yay for dates! In my experience most people are scared by them until they try them innocently tucked into whatever I made or bought, and they like it at least as well as raisins, if not better. I know a lot of people who don't like or merely tolerate raisins.

I'm a dried fruit fan...except for prunes...and raisins I'm so-so on. But other stuff...so good! I have to limit myself when I get a new package of dried fruit. That stuff has a lot of fiber!

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2007, 02:58:10 PM »
This is one of my mother's favorite recipes: She found it online a long time ago, and she and I were just talking about it this morning. It also makes wonderful muffins if you choose, instead of bread. (If she makes muffins, then the oven temp is set to 400 and they bake for 25-30 minutes, or until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)

Sweet Potato Pecan Bread

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup applesauce
4 tablespoons milk
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes

Grease bottom of a loaf pan approximately 9- x 5- x 3-inches. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt and spices in mixing bowl; stir in the sugar, pecans, and raisins or dates. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, milk, and mashed sweet potatoes; stir to blend well. Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon just until the mixture is moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling on wire rack.

It is very low in fat, and if you want to easily reduce the cholesterol also, you could substitute egg beaters for the eggs. I almost always substitute applesauce for the oil in baked goods, it tastes great and it adds no fat, and I always use 1% milk or powdered buttermilk instead of whole milk. (I don't even buy or whole milk, and haven't for years. I used to use 2%, but found that 1% is fine and tastes the same. Can't say that for skim though!)

Deborah

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2007, 03:01:59 PM »
We almost always use milk substitutes here. Almond milk is my favorite...it's sligbhtly sweet. We usually use the vanilla flavored almond or rice milk and the flavoring is usually unnoticable or noticeable but at least as good when we cook with it. They have just as much calcium, etc. as cow's milk but our tummies tolerate it much better ;)

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2007, 06:22:24 PM »
I was rather lax in my exercising today. Mostly because I spent hours and hours in the kitchen mixing up and baking the 5 1/2 dozen muffins that I made.

David and I actually just finished packaging them all up for me to take to PT tomorrow, and I was a good girl! :> :>

Even though I never got to the health club today to exercise, I must really be commited to my food plan since I didn't even eat one bite of the muffins even though I LOVE them! ( :P patting myself on the back!)  :laugh:
Deborah

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2007, 06:56:09 PM »
OMG what willpower!! and if you had a pedometer you probably would have been surprised at how much exercise you actually got "just baking" all day. That walking bending, squating (to check the oven) all adds up. I'm sure you got a good workout anyhow.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2007, 07:09:22 PM »
OMG what willpower!! and if you had a pedometer you probably would have been surprised at how much exercise you actually got "just baking" all day. That walking bending, squating (to check the oven) all adds up. I'm sure you got a good workout anyhow.

LOL, I wish that I could take credit for that as my exercise, but I have a 6 ft island directly across from my wall oven, so no bending, no squatting, etc! I did do a lot of standing, but that's about it! Deborah

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2007, 06:32:02 PM »
I walked and walked and walked today at an outdoor outlet mall. I walked with other moms, then did a few more laps on my own after we broke apart. I was getting tired and did one more lap, so I did some serious walking. It felt good to walk til I was tired. And because this threaad is making me feel more accountable, I was happy to be able to report that I think I walked a few miles...pushing a stroller with baby and stuff loaded onto it  :updown

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »
I walked and walked and walked today at an outdoor outlet mall. I walked with other moms, then did a few more laps on my own after we broke apart. I was getting tired and did one more lap, so I did some serious walking. It felt good to walk til I was tired. And because this threaad is making me feel more accountable, I was happy to be able to report that I think I walked a few miles...pushing a stroller with baby and stuff loaded onto it  :updown
Awesome, Anne! :cl :098

That's what has keep me motivated as well, so I am happy to hear that it helps you too! 

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2007, 05:25:57 AM »
Well, my exercise for Thursday was only a mile on my treadmill and then my appt with PT. I graduated today  :0191  8) from regular 2-3 times a week appts, to only going once every 4-6 weeks to have them check on my progress.

I was quite pleased :D! with the measurements that they got for my bending  (they call that flexion) on the new "bionic" knees. They measured 129 degrees on the left, and 125 on the right. Since the actual titanium parts only have a 130 degree maximum bend, I am very happy to be there in less than 6 months. I guess all my hard work has truly paid off, and my balance has greatly improved in the past 6 weeks, so I finally am beginning to think that these new knees are actually part of my body now!

But, I am quite aware that I can't think I am "good to go", and become lax about exercising them, because specific exercises are necessary for me for the rest of my life or the prostheses will not continue to function properly.

So, now I have to stay motivated and commited to regular, consistent exercise, and that is good for the rest of me as well as the knees! Deborah

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2007, 07:22:49 AM »
You are getting 125 and 129 degrees out of a possible 130?? That's INCREDIBLE!! You are doing everything right, it sounds like. I bet the PT people were glad to have someone who took rehab seriously. I've been in rehab before way back when I first got MS and had an attack that left me with serious balance issues. Lots of people were there getting a painful workout with the PT Nazis, and my therapist confided in me that most of them don't do anything they are supposed to once they walk out the door and so the time they spend with the patient is basically pointless.

You are a model patient, Deborah! And you graduated!! How awesome.
 :twinkle :twinkle :twinkleCongratulations!! :twinkle :twinkle :twinkle

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2007, 07:30:32 AM »
Thank you, Jeri, that is so sweet of you to say! I'm not even going to pretend that I'm not proud about that, because I am. :love005. Deborah

Lyn

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Stitched-By-Lyn
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2007, 08:32:25 AM »
What a milestone! Congratulations Deb!!

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2007, 04:39:25 PM »
Yesterday I did not exercise at all, so this morning I got up and did a mile on my  :move, and then went to the health club and did 10.5 miles on the recumbent bike, and 3 sets of 10 each on the leg press @60 lbs. (Gotta give these titanium knees a good work out!)  :01bub
I was quite pleased to find out that I have lost 5.5 lbs :D! since June 18th when I started following the Weight Watchers points system.
How's everyone else doing with getting some exercise this week?
Deborah

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »
Deborah I'm so proud of you and what an inspiration :vibes

I've had a stressful week and haven't done well at all :'(  That's okay I will get out of this rut and I will do this!

Think thin, think thin I keep telling myself :pink

Did go swimming for a few hours this afternoon so that helps!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf