Author Topic: Call to Break Up Amazon and Other Tech Companies  (Read 429 times)

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Call to Break Up Amazon and Other Tech Companies
« on: September 06, 2018, 11:20:22 PM »
I thought this was a decent read, although a lot of it I already knew.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/5/17805162/monopoly-antitrust-regulation-google-amazon-uber-facebook

Imagine if Amazon were to get broken up like Standard Oil.

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
Re: Call to Break Up Amazon and Other Tech Companies
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
I saw it coming. And someday it will be necessary.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
My thoughts are exactly as the writer of the article states:
Facebook: The Starfish

'In some ways, Facebook is the most urgent case. It’s inescapable, opaque, and it wields immense power over the fundamental functions of our society. More than any other tech giant, Facebook’s power feels like an immediate threat and the most plausible first target for congressional action. Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) has already laid out 20 different measures that would rein in Facebook and other tech giants, ranging from GDPR-style data portability requirements to more carveouts of Section 230.

But while Warner’s measures focus on nudging Facebook toward more responsible behavior, a growing number of critics see the problem as Facebook itself. It may be that a social network with more than 2 billion users is simply too big to be managed responsibly, and no amount of moderators or regulators will be able to meaningfully rein the company in. For those critics, social networks are a natural monopoly, and no amount of portability requirements will ever produce a meaningful competitor to Facebook or a meaningful check on its power.

If that’s true, a classical antitrust breakup (as some have suggested) would seem like the only option. The best example is the breakup of AT&T, which saw the telecom giant’s local phone business split into “baby bells,” each bound by serious geographical and regulatory restrictions. It’s the classic example of how to cut a giant company into smaller companies without disrupting service.'

To read the article in full use the link on the original posting

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 02:17:56 AM »

If that’s true, a classical antitrust breakup (as some have suggested) would seem like the only option. The best example is the breakup of AT&T, which saw the telecom giant’s local phone business split into “baby bells,” each bound by serious geographical and regulatory restrictions. It’s the classic example of how to cut a giant company into smaller companies without disrupting service.'

To read the article in full use the link on the original posting

But just how do you do that? Facebook has bought out so many start-ups that would have eventually siphoned money away from them. Everything is integrated so well. With ATT, there were clear cut boundaries up and down the supply chain and by geography. How do you do so with Facebook when they are literally everywhere and everything within them is completely integrated?

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 10:06:33 AM »
I don't know... seriously, I don't know.
I deleted my Facebook permanently March of this past year.
I hadn't used it in ages...
Close to 8 years.
And that wasn't even the tip of the iceburg of what it has become.

I can still remember members of Facebook whining about, don't charge us for monthly use of FB.
Or if anything charge us five dollars a month.

Why? That was insanity to me.
FB was garnering so much info/data on each person AND their contacts AND their contacts contacts and so on and so on... that why would they charge a person.
They were making money hand over fist.

I never, ever, ever, never signed into any site that gave me the option:
Sign in with your email or sign in with Facebook option.
I always, ALWAYS used my email and password to sign in.
I didn't want to have my info shared with Facebook.
More data for them to harvest and make money off of.

I didn't trust them and still don't.
Two words: Cambridge Analytica

You're right, a break-up of Facebook the company would be hard, but I have faith that it could be done.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
The three main areas of the business world that I am an avid reader of is 1) stuff that has to do with the financial crisis of 2007-2009, 2) mergers and acquisitions, and 3) antitrust issues.

The WSJ noted that companies that could go public are choosing not to do so. In fact, there are thousands less publicly-traded companies today than there were 10 or even 20 years ago. Many companies choose not to go public because of the horrendous costs of regulatory compliance tied to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX) and instead are grooming their companies to be bought out by behemoths such as Walmart, Amazon, Facebook, etc.

For those companies that don't play ball with "the big boys", they get decimated by the highly unethical (and most likely illegal) actions of the big boys. Look no further than diapers.com. Then, they are bought out by the big boys that decimated them for a fraction of what they were offered initially.

For those that are blinded by the allure of being rich and powerful, this is completely acceptable behavior. To the rest of us, this is why we hold many of these so-called big boys with such disdain.

I will use Amazon just as it uses me. When the party crashes (all good things must come to an end), I won't shed a tear for Amazon. I won't shed a tear for Facebook, Google, Netflix, or even Apple. They hosted the party. They can bear the cost of cleaning up the mess that follows after a raucous party.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/10/10/amazon_book_how_jeff_bezos_went_thermonuclear_on_diapers_com.html
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:53:38 PM by uncleleroy »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:47:22 AM »
Blinded by the big boys?
Nope.
Nada.
Zip.
Zilch...Not me.

I like having my little corner of the ecommerce world and you're right, when it ends it ends.
Which for me looks like it will be coming spring of 2019 or after the holiday season of 2019.
I'm getting too old.
<smile>

I've been outta town taking a break for the last week.
I'm pulling my bootstraps up and getting back into the swing of ecommerce.
And not with the biggest smile on my face.

It's nice to get away.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf