Author Topic: Amazon Working on Tablo-Like Networked DVR (Report)  (Read 78 times)

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Amazon Working on Tablo-Like Networked DVR (Report)
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
Amazon Is Planning Live TV Recorder, Challenging TiVo]Amazon Working on Tablo-Like Networked DVR (Report) <---would love to see this happen
ALL of my children have cut the chord and have no need for traditional cable tv.
I would cut ours in a heartbeat if we didn't already receive everything...EVERYTHING...for the cost of internet.
Plus, there's the write-off of the internet which is packaged with a cable tv package.

THIS:
Amazon.com Inc. is developing a new device that records live TV, working around cable providers and encroaching on TiVo Corp.’s market, according to a person familiar with the plans.

The device, dubbed "Frank" inside Amazon, is a new type of digital video recorder for the streaming era. It would include physical storage and connect to Amazon’s existing Fire TV boxes, the living room hub for the company’s online video efforts, according to the person. They asked not to be identified discussing unannounced product details. An Amazon spokeswoman declined to comment.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Working on Tablo-Like Networked DVR (Report)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 04:49:54 PM »
I heard about this the other day. I guess TiVo didn't completely protect all of its IP so that is why cable boxes came into being much faster than they otherwise would have. It is no wonder Amazon is jumping at the bit to create their own recorder.

BTW, does anybody still use TiVo or cable boxes?

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »
Nope on Tivo.
Yep on DVR.
Which I'm thinking of getting rid of and just buying a used Tivo and a fios card to use.
What we pay for internet is dirt cheap (Thanks Frontier) and they threw EVERYTHING they offer in to retain our business.

We upgraded (at no additional charge) to the DVR with Frontier that works with Alexa voice. (nerd alert)

No cable boxes.
We use Amazon Firesticks and Chromecasts in the bedrooms.
Just sold my Apple TV which I made more on it than I paid (eBay)

We have a Netflix account (with five persons ability) and share with our family members.

My children don't and haven't had cable.
They use Firesticks and Chromecast along with subscriptions to HULU and their Amazon Prime and our family Netflix.

My nephew uses HULU Live, Amazon Prime and Netflix with his smart tvs (apps are on the tv).
I asked if he had purchased a Tivo for shows and this made perfect sense to me.
With HULU Live you receive 52 Hours of recorded shows.
You decide what you want to watch, schedule it via HULU Live, it's in the cloud when you want to watch it.

Geeks.
One and All.
Must run in the family.

Really good insight on this subforum:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
Sounds like you got a good deal. We have DirectTV and the wireless DVR system. We have the main hub and every other television has a really small black box (not much bigger than the box that a new men's wallet might come in). I can't complain coz I can start a movie in one room and continue watching it in another room. I can bounce around the house all day like that if I wanted. But the big clunky DVR boxes? Nope. No more of those things. If I get rid of DirecTV, it will be because I cut the cord.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
We have the main hub and every other television has a really small black box (not much bigger than the box that a new men's wallet might come in). I can't complain coz I can start a movie in one room and continue watching it in another room. I can bounce around the house all day like that if I wanted.
We had Dish network ages ago and loved it.
Even though central FL is the lightning capital of the world.
True.
We only lost the satellite once through 4 hurricanes and it was for 30 minutes.

Wow! What small black boxes.
And I do prefer the ability to watch from room to room..
Lord knows these brain cells of mine neeeeeed continuity.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf