Author Topic: Supreme Court Ruling Affects eSellers  (Read 123 times)

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters

<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Ruling Affects eSellers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
Darn!
You beat me posting this!

Supreme Court rules states can require online retailers to collect sales tax
Read the article in full at this link:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-states-can-require-online-retailers-collect-sales-n873416

The justices broke with 50 years' worth of legal rulings that barred the states from imposing sales taxes on most of the purchases their residents make from out-of-state retailers.
by Pete Williams / Jun.21.2018 / 10:22 AM ET / Updated 11:24 AM ET

WASHINGTON — Online shopping will soon become more expensive, after the U.S. Supreme court ruled Thursday that states can require Internet retailers to collect sales taxes.

The 5-4 decision broke with 50 years' worth of legal rulings that barred the states from imposing sales taxes on most of the purchases their residents make from out-of-state retailers.

The decision was a victory for South Dakota, which asked the court to uphold its recently passed law imposing an Internet sales tax.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »
I didn't see this when posting the entire WSJ article in the Amazon forum. That thread can be deleted by an admin since there is no need for a duplicate thread on the issue.

This taxation is stupid but expected. For all the analysts on CNBC bragging about the upcoming revival of brick-and-mortar stores, I don't see it. The online migration has been in full force and will continue to increase. I'm not going to go to some brick-and-mortar store to save 30 or 50 cents and spend hours looking for everything I need in multiple stores. I'm going to spend 10-15 minutes online and have it in my possession within 2-3 days.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »
And that's exactly it.  You dont buy online to save a few pennies on sales tax.  Sure, you may do it on large purchases, but. . .  People buy online because of convenience, selection, and pre-tax price.

I often buy my toilet paper online. Why? Because it's under 70cents a roll delivered to my door Vs. $1 a roll at local store ($1.09 per roll w/ sales tax). So even ignoring the sales tax it's cheaper to buy it online.  Anther example, before taxes are added, the diesel additive I buy for the truck can be gotten locally for about $120 a case, or I can get it shipped to house for $100. Hmm. Which to choose?

I also buy hardware online. Why? Better selection. For example, one time I needed some bolts in a particular size. I tried buying locally but nobody had them. Amazon did. The next time I needed some odd sized screws, where do you think I looked first?

And, being able to shop at 3am, or when I simply don't feel like getting ready and driving to town, is huge.

As for the ruling, frankly I'm shocked. SCOTUS just opened the door to states having jurisdiction over people who live and work in other states and never set foot in their state. Mark my words, what'll happen next is states will use this ruling as a means to start requiring out of state vendors to file state income tax.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:09:25 PM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
Here's one of my reasons for shopping online:
Free Delivery of Large of Heavy Items.

It's brought straight to my door and I sign for it.
Voila.

Revival of Brick and Mortar Stores?
Hmmmm...I believe what is coming our way after the Retailocalypse ends (yes, retail brick and mortar stores are in an apacalyptic state) will be the strong and those that worked hard to bring forward an ecommerce presence.
There is a Retail brick and mortar Ice Age that has been coming and is going to get worse.

Those that survive did their due diligence and prepared.

Buyers are used to shopping online.
Buyers love the convenience of shopping online, open 24/7 and there are sites that review products.
Buyers LOVE that they can shop online and not have to walk into a store to purchase and save their time for other more important things.

Example:
My son purchased a set of books recently from Amazon (for one of his college classes).
The books were the same price in our local Books A Million.
With a full time job, two children, a wife and life...You can bet your sweet bippy he ordered it online and it came in 2 days.

Did he mind paying tax?
Nope.
Do I mind paying tax when I order online?
Nope.
Does my disabled daughter who does the majority of her shopping online mind paying taxes?
Nope.

That's my two cents.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf