Author Topic: eBay Facing Collapse  (Read 1259 times)

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
eBay Facing Collapse
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:56:32 PM »
"While the split props up PayPal with $5 billion in cash and no debt, it leaves eBay saddled with $7.6 billion in debt (against $2 billion in net cash) and an online auction business that revolutionized e-commerce early on, but is now showing its age, the website said."

http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2015/01/24/ebay-facing-collapse-from-icahns-paypal-spinoff-report-says/

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: eBay Facing Collapse
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »
One of the things that I remember about early days of eBay was the fact that it enabled persons to feel confident about buying an item "online".
I didn't know jack about the person I was buying an item from, but I would pay and my item arrived!
And once I started selling on eBay...I was amazed for the same reason only in reverse.
The feeling of putting an item up for sale and it sold!
I could put up an item that I thought no one would care about and boom!
It sold. Money arrived in the mail (remember the pre-paypal days?)
Cash sometimes, checks sometimes and money orders sometimes.
And it was to a person wayyyy across the United States (or overseas) and it never failed to amaze me.
Someone I didn't know from way across the amber waves of grain wanted to purchase my <insert name> and trusted me to send it.
That amidst all of the items that could be found on eBay...somebody found my item, wanted it and was willing to wait out the 7 days auction time to buy.

I miss that eBay.
EBay opened so many doors for so many people. Opened the doors to other shopping venues.
Now nobody thinks twice about buying an item on an ecommerce site.
EBay is what led to this way of thinking/commerce that it was perfectly fine to buy an item online and trust you would receive and/or make money.

Oh the joy of stumbling across items at a garage sale, thrift store, 2nds store that someone was willing to pay me and pay me good money to purchase.

I hope this isn't the end to eBay as I still sell items on the site. Items not in pristine condition, items that Amazon doesn't allow for sale, etc.
Granted I could probably do just as well on another eCommerce, but I do like eBay (and I buy off eBay ALOT for purse obsession, ha) and turn to it often.

I also have 35,000+ sales on eBay with a 19,000+ gold star ranking which I would hate to lose, too.
<smile>

It is showing it's age though and could do with a clean up. 

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:33:47 PM »
I look at how long some of these major brick and mortar retailers keep hanging on despite mega losses and I can't help but suspect that it's too soon to count eBay out yet, but it will get interesting.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »
Agreed, Scoot.
Some of those retailers have managed to change along with the times.
Order online, save shipping costs by having pick up at store is one fine example.
Some of those retailers, I just don't know how in the heck they haven't gone under.

At one point years ago, I had thought (along with alot of other sellers) eBay would move into a similar third party seller program as Amazon FBA...they were buying warehouses and setting them up around the country. It seemed as if this was where the company was going.
But nope, didn't happen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf