Author Topic: How eBay Worked With The FBI To Put Its Top Affiliate Marketers In Prison  (Read 26250 times)

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
The knock at the door came at 7.03 a.m.

Shawn Hogan, the CEO of a successful online marketing company called Digital Point Solutions, was sitting on his sofa. He didn't immediately answer the door. Then the key turned in the lock.

Nine FBI agents entered Hogan's upscale condo to serve a search warrant. They obtained access from a maintenance worker, according to a copy of the search report.

The agents took photos of his circular living room, and its wraparound windows looking out onto San Diego. Hogan's white cat appears in several of the pictures, perched unconcerned on a chair, but the real focus of the investigation was his computer equipment. Much of Hogan's apartment was a clutter of screens, hard drives and keyboards — which the FBI confiscated.

To Read Fully: How eBay Worked With The FBI To Put Its Top Affiliate Marketers In Prison

Be Kind
Donna

bobby131313

• Advanced Seller
  • Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • bobby131313
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Youtube
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Coin Community
Hope he rots in there, he stole a lot of money from a lot of people. You can bet I was one of them too.

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
I don't know how I missed this article and was jaw dropped reading 'bout this dude.
I would figure it's a safe bet that someone on the inside of the prison knows someone on the outside that he stole money from.
Bet he's already gotta big ole target on his back.

I hope that no present or future deals will be made with him to lessen his jail time.
Be Kind
Donna

bobby131313

• Advanced Seller
  • Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • bobby131313
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Youtube
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Coin Community
Oh he was a slick one. Did you know that I can, just by making a post on this forum, stuff a cookie on all your visitors that simply view the topic? It's not mentioned in the article, but he had a crew of people doing that on other peoples forums too.

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
<jaw dropped>

What? What? And he had a CREW doing this?
If they caught this many doing this can you imagine how many others are out there doing this same thing?
Be Kind
Donna

bobby131313

• Advanced Seller
  • Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • bobby131313
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Youtube
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Coin Community
I catch at least one a month on my forum stuffing cookies. I always report them to whoever's cookie they are stuffing. GoDaddy is one that will go after them, they always ask me for IP and email addys when I catch someone stuffing their cookies.

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Good to hear that you're on top of that.
Might have to pick your brain at another time to teach me how to "catch" someone doing this on my forum.
Be Kind
Donna

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
Good to hear that you're on top of that.
Might have to pick your brain at another time to teach me how to "catch" someone doing this on my forum.
Although I dump cookies frequently, I had no idea you could force a cookie just by viewing a forum page. I would also like to know how to catch this! I am thinking about blogs as well.

Edited to add - don't think eBay was being all philanthropic in helping catch these guys, though. Even had these guys come by the money honestly, I doubt eBay wants to share much, lol.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:19:33 PM by planetsuze »

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
All this stuff is enough to make you want to toss your cookies.

<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Although I dump cookies frequently, I had no idea you could force a cookie just by viewing a forum page.

I used to have my devices set up to auto-clear, but have gotten lazy in my old age.
Time to update my desktop/laptop settings and Good Lawd, I need to do this manually on my iPhone/iPad and will nevah evah remember.

@Scoot
You're so silly!
Be Kind
Donna

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
Thirty years in Lankistir will do that to you.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf