Author Topic: shipping UPS through a 3rd party  (Read 17219 times)

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
shipping UPS through a 3rd party
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »
Anybody here ever had to file a UPS claim after having shipped a package through a third party like Staples or Office Depot or whatever?

A friend of mine shipped me a package, the package was damaged (and it's a long story). UPS required the package to be picked up by them so they could inspect it. Claim was denied and it was returned to Staples.

My friend wants to dispute the claim and UPS is telling him that Staples has to do that since they're the shipper.

Huh?

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
Re: shipping UPS through a 3rd party
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
Yep, been there done that.  Was the package insured?  Does the insurance documentation say insured for "stated value"?  If they offered the insurance (Staples) and accepted the funds for the insurance doesn't matter what it's worth, it's insured for stated value and they accepted the package.  You have to file your claim with Staples shipping and they can attempt to collect from UPS.  I wish them good luck with that because UPS claims that all the packages they ship MUST be able to withstand a 4' drop.  Used to use them for shipping my wiper motors and stuff, saw the driver hoop shot the package onto his truck at our shop and it was all over but the crying...we fired the big brown truck.

Take photos of the item and it's damage, but really ultimately UPS is responsible for Staples also because they are after all an agent of UPS when they accept their packages....you can really muddy with waters and they get tired of dealing with you and pay you off to leave them alone.

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Ack, sorry for not getting back to this. Yep, it was insured but I'm not sure about the "stated value" bit.

My buddy is still dealing with UPS. Now they're asking for proof of payment (from me) for what he sent and there's still some issue of whether or not the damaged items I had to return to UPS for inspection will come back to me.

The weirdest part, which I didn't mention before, is that the package got to me in a different box than my friend originally shipped it in. The box that arrived was split down a corner seam and had been mended with packing tape. The tape was on top of UPS' shipping labels. Which means, no matter what actually happened, UPS is at fault (improper packaging). But they've really been giving him the runaround..

I didn't know you have to file the claim through Staples. That never would've occured to me (why would it?). Wonder if that's part of the reason for the runaround?

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
Rick even if you'd had to file the claim with UPS directly you'd still be getting the SAME runaround.  I fired the brown truck 6 or more years ago when I saw the driver take a few wiper motors, properly boxed, peanutted to death, etc and hoop shot them onto his truck...then I got little stickers made with the hoop shot stickman and the line through it, the football goal stickman with the line through it, the drop kick stickman with the line through it and started putting them on all our packages.  UPS didn't care for that much, but even an idiot could figure out what it meant.  After hours and hours on multiple claims each year I decided enough was enough and stopped using them to ship ANYTHING from my shop. 

I talked to my UPS store manager and he said if THEY ship a package for a customer and it gets damaged they're told the same stuff we're told:

1.  It didn't meet their packaging standards
2.  It couldn't withstand a 4' drop
3.  Jump through this hoop if you can find it, fill out paperwork, sit on hold, get disconnected, start over....basicially      :053

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »

3.  Jump through this hoop if you can find it, fill out paperwork, sit on hold, get disconnected, start over....basicially      :053

Man oh man!

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »
Yeah, pretty nutty. In my experience UPS, in general, takes very little care with packages. And I get that it's a calcuated risk (most packages will arrive undamaged). But then why would they make the claims process so infuriating? Bad business...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf