Author Topic: Facebook Plans On Tracking Your RX Drug Purchases & How To Stop Them  (Read 3040 times)

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
How Facebook Plans On Tracking Your Prescription Drug Purchases, And How To Stop Them

In an attempt to give advertisers more information about the effectiveness of ads, Facebook has partnered with Datalogix, a company that "can track whether people who see ads on the social networking site end up buying those products in stores," as The Financial Times's Emily Steel and April Dembosky explain. Advertisers have complained that Facebook doesn't give them any way to see if ads lead to buying. This new partnership is their response. The service will link up the 70 million households worth of purchasing information that Datalogix has with Facebook profiles so they can see if the ads you see changes the stuff you buy and tell advertisers whether their ads are working. Up until now, the social network has been limited to only tracking your Internet life (on and off Facebook.com) with its ubiquitous "like" buttons, but as promised, the future of Facebook is more focused on data, including tracking our offline habits.

Specifically, Datalogix gets its information from retailers like grocery stores and drug stores who use loyalty discount programs to amass careful records of what their customers are buying. Datalogix's site doesn't list its partners, but from a Google search, it looks like the company has worked with CVS's ExtraCare card program.

Facebook has put some privacy protections in place to head off a similar reaction. The social network says it will be anonymizing each profile, applying a hash to each Facebook account in lieu of a real name. And it also offers the option to opt-out — sort of. There is nowhere on Facebook's website to opt-out. Instead, users have to go to the Datalogix website -- which most of us probably had never heard of until right now — and opt-out of their tracking. Facebook claims the partnership doesn't violate Federal Trade Commission regulations because it has a link to that option on its site in the help center.

But finding the link on Facebook requires a lot of digging.

First, you have to find the help center, which involves first clicking help, under the home tab.

Then, that will give the option to go to the help center. After clicking through to Ads and Business solutions, then to Ads and Sponsored Stories, then to Interacting with Ads, you will finally see a list of questions about ads as it effects you.

Way down at the very bottom (pictured on page link), where it says "learn more about the partners and choices they offer" is a link to Datalogix, which leads to this page, where about half-way down under "choice" there is an opt-out link. That is a lot of clicking. To avoid all that, you can just click here to get to that Datalogix page, or here to opt-out.

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
Re: Facebook Plans On Tracking Your RX Drug Purchases & How To Stop Them
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:54:31 PM »
THANK YOU!!  I'm out and posted your directions for all my friends on FB so they can get out    :whip

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
I followed the Datalogix link and clicked the opt-out link (under the Choice section) because I wanted to see what info they required of me.

Clicking on that link resulted in a "Your Opt Out Was Successful" page. How do they know who I am? Because I got there through the link in Facebook?

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
Gosh..
Were you signed into Facebook?
Or is it a public page where one doesn't have to be signed into FB to view?

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »
Cookies   It's a private site when but you go there you're cookied

https://www.datalogix.com/privacy/

to opt out of Datalogix cookie-based online advertising. If you elect to opt out, we will set an Ignore Flag that indicates that you have opted out. When a consumer has opted out from Datalogix cookie-based online advertising, a browser may still receive ads online from parties other than Datalogix. As with all cookie-based advertising, if you delete cookies, install a new browser, or buy a new computer, you will need to opt out again by coming back to this site. If you wish to opt out of interest-based advertising from other companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance click here to link to the DAA opt-out tool. If you wish to opt out of all Datalogix-enabled advertising & analytic products, click here.

I use DNTP on my computer to try to block sites that track me.  It's amazing the stuff it blocks that I was unaware is going on while I'm cruising, working on my website, Amazon, etc.  Facebook is the BIGGEST offender though for tracking you

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
One site recently stated that THE only way to be safe from this is to ALWAYS use a proxy.
Sad thing is, I wouldn't remember to use a proxy...anybody else?

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
It'd only work for me if I could set it up and never have to think about it again. But I don't know anything about using a proxy.

EverythingNice

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Homeopathynotes.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »
Thanks for those posts Donna and Kim!   :)

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »
http://www.ehow.com/how_6471646_bypass-internet-provider.html

or easier yet if you use firefox is foxy proxy...an add on         I know there's a way to do it with safari also, not sure about IE because I don't use either

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
Thanks! I'm installing Foxy Proxy. So I guess the best thing to do is to leave it on all the time?

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »
I guess it's on all the time for me and DNTP is on all the time also...don't know if I'm safer, but I'm currently enjoying my false sense of security  LOL

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
reinstalled Firefox.
Added the privacy extension.
Now, I just have to remember to click on the FF icon instead of Google Chrome.
Think, think, think.

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 04:03:30 PM »
Well, I installed Foxy Proxy but kept having problems. It wouldn't work or it'd work for a while and then crap out. It may be the problem is finding a reliable server but I got kind of fed up and set it aside...

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
Well, I installed Foxy Proxy but kept having problems. It wouldn't work or it'd work for a while and then crap out. It may be the problem is finding a reliable server but I got kind of fed up and set it aside...

See if you can try some of these proxys Rick, maybe more reliable?

http://www.xroxy.com/proxylist.htm

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »
Grrr, I tried a couple more from that list and couldn't get a connection. I guess I don't have the patience necessary for finding a good one. Thanks though!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf