Author Topic: Internet Sales Tax Bill Gains Traction  (Read 13712 times)

eotrg2

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Internet Sales Tax Bill Gains Traction
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
Members of the Senate Commerce Committee Wednesday considered a bill that would grant states the authority to require online retailers to remit sales taxes on purchases shipped to their residents, even if the seller had no physical operations within that state.

Supporters of online sales tax say it is good for consumers

Backers of the Marketplace Fairness Act argue that the measure is necessary to put brick-and-mortar sellers back on the same playing field as their online counterparts. They are quick to point out that online purchases are currently subject to taxation in states that have a sales tax, but most consumers either aren't aware of their obligation to pay or ignore it.

More here ----->>>> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/080212-internet-sales-tax-bill-gains-261353.html

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Sales Tax Bill Gains Traction
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »
I've been keeping up with this...as most of probably are.
This Forbes article is to me a very good article that answers in simple terms the questions most are asking.

From the article:
If you’re a small online seller, though, take heart. The bill would exempt remote sellers with gross sales of $1M or less nationally and $100,000 or less in the state. (A competing bill would reduce the $1M figure to $500,000.) It also contains streamlined and simplified compliance procedures designed to reduce the burden from collecting tax across many state lines.

What’s a remote seller? One without a physical presence in the state. Without a physical store, office, warehouse or even salespeople in the state, a seller is remote.
Be Kind
Donna

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf