Author Topic: Creating a button for a web site  (Read 7439 times)

obmil

• Able Advisor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • http://www.igottabuyagift.com
Creating a button for a web site
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
I have a web site www.igottabuyagift.com and would like to offer a discount at time of check out, however paypal does not offer such a button. :'( Can anyone please tell me how to create a discount (% off) button that I could use  at check out on my web site?  Thank you for any help you can give me.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a button for a web site
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »
I'm not certain, but will look into this.
I know that I use this service with Google Checkout..but haven't used it with Paypal.
Just to clarify....are you looking for the means to use a Coupon Code/Discount Code during checkout?

obmil

• Able Advisor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:12:23 AM »
that is exactly what i'm trying to do.  Thank you for any help you can give me. :h0161

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:45:46 AM »
Here ya go:
How do I offer coupons to my customers?Answer : At this time only eBay and PayPal can issue eBay coupons.

It's not the answer you wanted, but at least it's an answer.

You might want to think about opening another means of payment that allows you to offer your customers a coupon code.

It's always good to have several means of payment.

kolstromkreations

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Gemstone Jewelry
    • View Profile
    • MysticTopaz.net
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »
While there doesn't appear to be an easy way to have a discount code form for an entire paypal cart, it can be done on an individual item basis.
You would need to:
Add some code for a form to allow entry of the discount code on the item page.
Make another item page with an "add to cart" button that has the discounted price.
Upon entry of proper discount code, shopper is taken from the first page to the second.
If this will work let me know and I'll post a working example.

FWIW, found this:
Offering Discounts With Add to Cart Buttons
PayPal allows you to offer a discount for an item. You can offer item discounts either as an amount or a percentage.

•Set a discount amount that applies to single or multiple quantities of the item. You can set a discount for the first item and a different discount for the additional quantity, and you can limit the total quantity to which the discount applies.
•Set a discount percentage that applies to single or multiple quantities of the item. You can set a discount for the first item and a different discount for the additional quantity, and you can limit the total quantity to which the discount applies.
When you set a discount amount or percentage, you can limit the number of items to which the discount applies. Any applicable tax calculations occur after the discount is taken.

The discount amount displays on all pages, email messages, and reports that show payment information.

Specifying item discounts
Do one of the following to create Add to Cart buttons that specify discounts:

•Specify the discount amounts or percentages when you create your Add to Cart buttons by using the creation tool on the PayPal website.
See Step 5 of Step 3 – Adding Advanced Features to Your Add to Cart Button.

•Specify that you want PayPal to prompt buyers for item quantities in the HTML button code that you write manually.
See Sample HTML Code for Add to Cart Buttons with Discounts.
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_html_paypal_shopping_cart
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:41:23 AM by kolstromkreations »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:55:40 AM »
Thanks for the more detailed reply, Frank.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 01:16:01 PM »
dunno if it helps (and I have no idea how to write the javascript), but i found this (from http://www.ehow.com/how_7254825_make-paypal-discount-codes.html )
(kolstrom's sounds easier to do)

Non-hosted Add to Cart Button
Ensure you are not using using a hosted "Add to Cart" button. In order to use a discount code, you must have a non-hosted button. To create one of these through PayPal, log into your PayPal account and click the "Merchant Services" tab.

Select "Merchant Tools." In the "Website Payment Standard" section, choose the button you want to make.

Click "Create your button now" and fill out all fields. Then go to "Step 2: Track inventory" and uncheck the "Save button at PayPal" box.

Click "Create Button" and follow the "Remove code protection" link. At this point you will be able to see the unencrypted HTML code of the new button. Merely click "Select Code" and copy it to your website.

Using JavaScript

Use JavaScript to add a discount code field to your check out now that you have a clear text button. You can do this through PayPal premier or business accounts.

Write the custom JavaScript (numerous examples of which can be seen on Paypal's X Developer Network) on the website you are trying to add the button to.

Ensure the script is capable of retrieving the discount code from the buyer, and then passing the new amount on to PayPal for payment.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
IMO it would be simpler to just start using a zen-cart or similar shopping cart that offers the ability to create discount coupons or gift certificates.

In either of the example solutions provided above you will still have to edit each product button individually, and in Frank's solution you'd have double the work since each product would have 2 product pages.

Since you would be going to all that work anyhow, if you used a shopping cart like zen-cart you not only could offer coupon codes but also gift certificates, set products on special or have site wide sales, and offer multiple payment and/or shipping methods.

just my  :2cents
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

obmil

• Able Advisor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
  :signthanks :signthanks everyone for all the  help, although I am a little confused I believe might be able to figure something out.  Again thank you so much for the input :h0161 :01ms93 :01ms93

obmil

• Able Advisor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Hi Frank,  First ty for your input and I tried to follow what you said and I thought I was fairly good on a computer but I'm confused, but what I did understand is that I actually have to recreate an add to cart button w/discount for each and every item.  Unfortunately there are too many items to this and I don't believe there is a button to create to take a % off at checkout.  But I wanted u to know that I did try and really appreciate the help.  Have a great day

kolstromkreations

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Gemstone Jewelry
    • View Profile
    • MysticTopaz.net
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 09:43:44 AM »
Quite welcome - and yes, two pages for each item.  Yeah, it was only meant it for a store with a small number of items, which is pretty much the purpose of a cart made with paypal buttons anyhow.  If you have a lot of items and/or changing inventory, get a real cart for all the reasons Jeri says.  There's lots to choose from, both hosted and self-hosted.

Here's a single input encrypted form generator that could have been used to make the form to go from page 1 to 2.  Surely good for other uses.
http://www.javascriptkit.com/epassword/index.htm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf