Author Topic: Charge When Ship  (Read 7114 times)

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
Charge When Ship
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »
I haven't actually been in my Amazon seller account for a little while but just saw this:

Charge When Ship Announcement

Soon all sellers will start using Charge When Ship to process orders and keep buyers informed about shipments. Sign up now, or see our video and FAQ if you have concerns about getting paid or if you have other questions.

Want to practice first? Use the new Manage Orders "Confirm Shipment" buttons to practice entering your shipping details, and we will display them in the buyers' Amazon accounts. You will never have to confirm shipment of orders you receive before your account is transitioned to Charge When Ship. This is just practice, and is entirely optional.

Or Sign up now. Once your account is transitioned to Charge When Ship, you only have to confirm shipment of orders you receive after that transition. You'll be able to tell the difference because only Charge When Ship orders will have a "Cancel" button in Manage Orders.

Here's the FAQ.

Part 3 of the FAQ says this (emphasis theirs):

As long as you confirm that the order was properly shipped, you will be paid in accordance with the Marketplace Participation Agreement. We charge the buyer after you confirm shipment (rather than when the buyer places the order), and then we credit your Marketplace Payments account. Of course, just as now, there may be circumstances where payment may later need to be refunded, for example when the buyer does not receive the order, or it is not as described.

Any theories? Scuttlebutt? Does this make Amazon more of a "venue" like eBay?

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
Re: Charge When Ship
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »
A potential benefit mentioned in the FAQ:

If you are unable to ship an order, you can cancel it instead of confirming shipment; we won't charge the buyer and you won't have to issue a refund.

But doesn't that also mean that cards could be declined after orders are already in transit?

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
Hmm. It's not actually live but they do have that "Confirm Shipment" button in the order so we can "practice". But when I tried, it wouldn't let me set the ship date for any day besides today. I hope that's not going to be the case when it goes live.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 05:56:39 PM »
I've always had to confirm shipment. And if I'm late in doing so, I get demerits.  Not sure if my acct is set to 'charge when ship' or not.  Dunno if it's different for Seller Central merchants (now called Pro Merchants) or not. 

Regarding the potential for not getting paid bit - I think (but not sure) that they get an authorization for the charge and thus the funds are held on the cardholder's acct until the charge is processed.  Again, though, not sure if that's the case or not.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 05:58:41 PM by WayOutWest »

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »
This is how the one type of Amazon account has worked for years. A hold is put on the account, but it is not charged until shipping is confirmed, and payment is every two weeks.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:26:02 PM »
But doesn't that also mean that cards could be declined after orders are already in transit?
Let the fraud begin!  ::)
When is that supposed to start? I'll be sure to pull my items by then.  :( I will stop selling on any venue that forces me to ship before I am paid. Not happening.

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 07:42:27 PM »
Just like BF...My Pro Merchant account has been like this from the get go.
I've never had to set anything up.

I'm required to have the confirmation of shipment delivery confirmation info input within a certain amount of time (2 business days) or there are dings against my account.

Every purchase is out of my hands and in the mail within 24 hours at most and d/c info input on the order.

Amazon sends the info to my customer automatically.

I ship before my payout, it's every two weeks.

My Individual account that is media, books, etc has never asked for delivery confirmation.

However, I always sent it to the customer via Amazon communication so everyone has proof of my sending the item out.

I can draw on this accounts funds @ any time if I so choose.

If there's been any CC fraud on either account, I'm not aware of it.

Amazon handles that. Amazon would take care of the fraud anyway.
(I love that aspect of Amazon)

Amazon has proof that I did my part as a seller.

I packaged the item, input delivery confirmation and item put in mail to customer.

Be Kind
Donna

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
Let me clear up my post - I ship before the Amazon payout, too. But not before the customer has been successfully charged for the item. At least I know the sale is good to that point.
In fact, if this had been the rule in effect last month, I would have lost two 1GB laptop RAM's by shipping them before the payment went through with Amazon. Whoever the buyer was dinked around for 3 days with Amazon updating me every day not to ship yet, that their CC was denied and they had notified the buyer to use another CC or method, etc. Finally, Amazon cancelled the sale. If I had shipped, I would have lost my RAM. Unless you guys are telling me that Amazon is going to make it good, I don't see any way around future fraud. Amazon is not going to cover those losses, at least not for long.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
If theyre getting authorizations at the time of sale, then any fraud issues would pop up just as soon as any that happen when a sale is run.  Course, dunno if theyre processing it as an authorization or not.

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »
We've had a "charge when ship" account on Amazon for over two years and have shipped a lot of orders.   They've never stiffed us.    Amazon doesn't send the order through to merchants until any credit card issues on the part of the buyer are resolved.

"Charge when shipped" is the industry standard for online credit card sales - Amazon is just bringing its merchants up to par.

Let me reiterate - we have NEVER been debited by Amazon for a fraud related chargeback, etc.   NEVER.   

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »
If you have never had a problem, that's good enough for me, Beth. I couldn't even guess how many thousands of transactions you have had with Amazon. All I had visions of was some PayPal-esque nightmares caused by this. Thanks for posting that, and WOW and SJ, too.

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »
Regarding the potential for not getting paid bit - I think (but not sure) that they get an authorization for the charge and thus the funds are held on the cardholder's acct until the charge is processed.  Again, though, not sure if that's the case or not.

Yeah, of course, that makes sense. I hadn't thought about that.

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 09:40:03 AM »
Do you folks normally have any problems with setting the ship date to some day besides today?

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »
Sunday.
The postage is printed with the date for Monday as that's the date the pkg is going out anyway.
Everything might be ready to go, but I wait to input the info with Amazon till Monday morning.
It makes sense.
Be Kind
Donna

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »
Okay, so that is the way it works -- you can only input it for today?

Considering the world of online postage and carrier pick-up, seems pretty goofy. Also, the feature pulls up a little calendar -- it's just that the only day it lets you choose is today. Weird..

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »
Do you folks normally have any problems with setting the ship date to some day besides today?
I never tried to set it to a day that was later than today.  I do know you cant backdate it, though (I had a package that I was late on sending out when I first started selling on amazon)

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 09:12:09 AM »
Our orders are confirmed by Shipworks when we print postage/shipping labels.

shellyg

• Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Candy Bar Wrappers
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 12:51:15 PM »
I'm not an Amazon seller ... but alot of my items are made to order & I use their money for supplies & get it out in a few days.  Especially some of my candy bar orders.  I have had orders that I needed to go to Sam's & buy $900 in candy bars alone.  No way I can do that without their money first.

I work with a chocolate vendor that "holds" my funds till they ship.. then my cc get's the actual charge.
So with the Amazon system... the cards are verified & funds held... you just can't use it till shipped.
http://www.candybarwrap.com  Custom Candy Bar Wrappers for All Occasions.  Birthday, Bridal, Holidays ... Any Day!  Party Favors your Guests will remember!

biscuit

• Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • http://creativenotions.net
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 01:54:20 PM »
We've shipped thousands of Amazon orders, and never had a problem yet.

There are far worse problems to deal with when selling on Amazon.  Charge When Ship is one of the things that actually works...

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »
We've shipped thousands of Amazon orders, and never had a problem yet.
Charge When Ship is one of the things that actually works...
Amen.
Be Kind
Donna

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf