Author Topic: Tweeting from kidney transplant OR live  (Read 2597 times)

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
Tweeting from kidney transplant OR live
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:11:34 AM »
http://twitter.com/ChildrensTheOne

Not sure this is the right place for this, but a son is getting a kidney from his dad and there is a nurse in the OR designated as the twitterer so the family can keep updated about the progress.

Fascinating.

www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
Re: Tweeting from kidney transplant OR live
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:40:35 AM »
Any place is a good place for good news like this.
Best wishes to you husband and son for a speedy recovery.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:44:01 AM »
Any place is a good place for good news like this.
Best wishes to you husband and son for a speedy recovery.
It's A son and dad ... NOT her son and husband

Personally I disagree with this action on so many levels that I'll just keep my mouth shut.
Is the insurance company paying that nurse to twit? or the tax payers? or the consumers within that hospital? 
hhhmmm no mention of that.
sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

kolstromkreations

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Gemstone Jewelry
    • View Profile
    • MysticTopaz.net
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:04:25 PM »
Why no live webcam.

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:35 PM »
What a joy for that family - thanks for sharing.

BT - I speak from personal experience, that when my mom was undergoing heart surgery and I could not be there, the HOSPITAL NURSE kept me up to date via email during the surgery.  I don't recall seeing an additional bill from the hospital for this service, I believe she did it as a professional courtesy to me - since the blackberry my brother had with him could NOT be used from the surgical lounge.

I not only appreciated it - I sent her a thank you gift for doing it.

When you are the family that cannot be there during such a medical ordeal, you can truly appreciate how this helps you during the wait.

I can't imagine the insurance company had to pay the hospital for 'twitter time' either.  Instead of calling the family, they took 1/2 the time and updated them via this network site.

I hope both father and son make a full and healthy recovery.  Thanks, Jeri, for sharing!

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »
That nurse is getting paid some how - I highly doubt they are volunteering their time.
Sorry, I think there is a time and a place for everythign and this isn't it.

I have lived over a thousand miles from any family since I left home at age 21.  I know what it's like not to be there.  It's always been ONE family member would be contacted by the hospital and that member had to then contact anyone else.  Fine, if that family member wants to twitter, email whatever that's up to them
BUT to pay a nurse to twit is nuts. 
And people wonder why healthcare is not affordable.

It's my opinion. 
sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
Consider that if this same nurse were to contact the family member by phone or to talk to them directly, they are still making the same money as if they are using twitter. Times are changing and so are our means of communication.

It would take that same nurse longer to scrub in and out each time she came to provide any tidbit of info to the only family members who could be present. This way the info is being shared with all family and friends instantly in a matter of the few seconds it takes to type it. Much more efficient, reaching a much greater audience, in less time. If time is money, then she is actually SAVING money by using Twitter.

I personally think it is ingenious.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »
Consider that if this same nurse were to contact the family member by phone or to talk to them directly, they are still making the same money as if they are using twitter. Times are changing and so are our means of communication.
They contact you ONE time AFTER the surgery.  Not throughout the whole thing.  The call usually takes 3 minutes at best.  At least that's been my experience.  And that call if long distance is on the hospital bill.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
That may be what happened in your case, but when my father had open heart surgery we had several updates.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 02:46:12 PM »
I was one who went into surgery that was supposed to take 45 minutes TOPS and didn't come out for FOUR hours.

My family needed updates and I don't give a flyin patoot how they would've received them.

My opinion, updates are updates no matter how it comes.

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 05:00:32 PM »
BT, I absolutely respect your opinion, didn't mean to make light of it - sorry.  :h0161

I know that at least one paid professional from the Cardiologist office my mom uses is 100% responsible for communicating with family before,during, and after surgery.  The doctor saves much time post surgery having to recap everything that happened, and the family is not constantly asking the surgical lounge volunteer for updates.  This has just been our experience, of course, but I also have lived away from my family for 25  years...and know that this is an invaluable service and I'd personally pay top dollar for it, anytime, over a 3 minute phone call that may end up going to my voice mail...or have less than detailed information.

I don't use Twitter (altho I think my son put an account for me there?) - but if that's the quickest way to give an update when TWO family members are in surgery, such as this story involves  -  I think this family would agree that it's a service worth paying for.   ;)

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
There is a HUGE difference between being there in the surgical lounge to get and ask for updates then there is NOT being there. Obviously if you are there you get updates.  I would figure if the updates are being done on twitter for the whole world to see - the last thing a I personally would want one - that the family is not sitting in a luonge within the hospital.  If that's the case their personal communication is worst then the kids that can't pick up a phone and talk but can text 24/7.

Guess I'm just not with the whole plaster my life and problems on the internet.  You want to communicate with me call me don't post it for the whole world to read.

Should something have gone bad ... you really think they would post it?  or just stop communicating and end up doing it personally anyways?
I feel this is nothing more then a show of the hospitals and doctor being with the times. 
Sorry, not for me.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 07:52:23 PM »
You know, BT you have a great point and it's one that crossed my mind earlier...

What IF something went horribly wrong? Then all of a sudden what was a joyous, share-with-the-world happy occasion suddenly turns into a very private tragedy. Fortunately, that didn't happen, but you are right... maybe all this blogging and tweeting and IMing and texting...maybe it's not such a good thing.

And posting... let's not forget posting...LOL

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 01:56:03 AM »
I agree with BT on this.  I wouldn't want such stuff tweeted out for the whole world plus I'd prefer the nurse be doing something else -- helping that patient who's in his/her room and has been pressing the nurse call button for nearly an hour because the pain meds have worn off or because s/he needs to pee, etc.   Heck, if nothing else can be scrubbing down the place with clorox because hospitals nowadays are filthy, nasty places.  Last time I was in one, there was all sorts of filth on the room and in the hallway.  There was even old, dried blood on the floor of my room (along with several other dried spots of mystery fluids).

It was a PR stunt by the hospital, imho.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 06:33:36 AM »
I have been thinking about this on and off all day.
I can only come up with more reasons this is so wrong.

Many newspapers stopped printing wedding announcements until after the wedding took place, many stopped printing obits until after the funeral - why? because the parties involved leave themselves wide open for robberies on these days since everyone knows the homes will be empty.

Now, here you have a hospital posting all about the Gilbreaths from Bonham. You know dad is on the table getting his kidney out and the kid is on the table waiting for it.  I bet we can all guess that mom is not sitting at home.
Giving the bad guys at least 4 days to plan how they can rob them blind well they are at the hospital.
You think it don't happen?  Ask any big city cop.  You might be shocked!

Posting anything on the internet to say MY HOUSE WILL BE EMPTY is never a good idea! 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf