Author Topic: Amazon Reveals Kindle DX  (Read 4265 times)

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Amazon Reveals Kindle DX
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:48:16 AM »
To Read the article fully: Amazon Reveals Kindle DX

As expected, Amazon has revealed a new Kindle this morning, targeted at the education and periodicals market. The device itself features a larger screen with more shades of gray for better display, a bigger hard drive (3.3GB) that can hold up to 3,500 books, and auto-rotation, so that users can read content in either portrait or landscape mode.

Most interesting to us, however, is what the company is doing with a number of universities and newspaper companies to make its device more widely available. Amazon has signed on The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Boston Globe to offer the Kindle DX at a reduced price in exchange for long-term subscription commitments, while 5 universities are launching pilot programs where the Kindle will be offered to students as a replacement for textbooks

Any of you who have purchased textbooks, know the cost and know that if all of your texts were on the Kindle..updates would come automatically. Saving money!!!

Instead of having to buy the new textbook because there's a new update in chapter 7, page 3, paragraph 4, sentence 2. 

One of the local private high schools started using something similar four years ago and it has saved them a bundle. 

Be Kind
Donna

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Reveals Kindle DX
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
Oh!  I truly hope that textbooks go this route.  Except for the parts you have to highlight.   :laugh:

My son would love this - I will read your link, but am assuming it's P-R-I-C-E-Y? 

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
The local private high school stated it was much less costly in the long run.

My best g/friend sits on the board and says it cut costs for the school and has helped students immensely.

The schools solution was to start this with her daughter's freshmen class.
Laptops were purchased for each student. The school received a sweet deal from the laptops co. which worked jointly with the textbook company. (also for every laptop that the school purchased one was donated thru the program OLPC)

No more carrying around heavy backpacks, no excuse for not having your book at home or at school. Also teachers could check laptops at anytime, check papers in progress, students could place their papers in their teachers online box or vice versa if a teacher wanted to share a bit of knowledge that could add to a students paper or research, the teacher would just drop the bit of info onto the students computer.

Her daughter graduates this May and she has had not one problem with this. The school loves the program, the parents love the program, the kids love receiving a laptop when they start their freshmen year and the OLPC loves receiving donations.

I don't know if it's pricey...but to me as a parent whose purchased textbooks, it would be worth it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:20:39 PM by Suthrnjewl »
Be Kind
Donna

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:32:59 PM »
Our local news has been covering this as CWRU (Case Western Reserve University) in Cleveland is one of the schools who were chosen to participate. They stated that the cost of the Kindle DX was $410, and I, for one think it would be quite worth it. Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:06:24 AM »
$410 is quite a bit less than I thought is would be!  yea!  I am on the School Board and just got my notes for this months meeting - guess what's on the agenda?   :laugh:  Apparently we have grant funds that could be allocated to the purchase of 500 of them...so...hopefully we'll get that passed and make this work out.  I will even volunteer to 'test' one for them (that's just how unselfish I am, you know).   :P

Southern Jewel

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:33:05 AM »
Apparently we have grant funds that could be allocated to the purchase of 500 of them...so...hopefully we'll get that passed and make this work out. 

CONGRATS!!

I have always been so appreciate of those that take time to ask for grant money.

That's another option that schools should use more often.

On my boards, I always appointed a team of grant researchers/writers...it's one of the reasons we were so successful in staying ahead.

High School AP classes? Honors?
Be Kind
Donna

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »
The discussion pending is for every Senior to have one the first year - every student thereafter.   :up

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf