Author Topic: The Nearly Summer Slim Down Thread  (Read 3738 times)

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
The Nearly Summer Slim Down Thread
« on: May 03, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »
Anyone else with me on this?

I did manage to lose a grand total of 8 lbs and keep it off with the South Beach diet, but then (as we know from my recent [burp] pizza indulgence) I fell off the SB diet.

I'm thinking that just more exercise and salad is all  it will take to lose the remaining 12 lbs I'd like to shed. I wasn't that concerned because I'm fitting into my clothes since I lost the 8, but I was at my sister's house yesterday and she has something in her bathroom that I don't have... a full length mirror. OMG NOW I know where those 12 lbs. are located. I have become an apple.  :o

So, with John working hard to get the pool into swimming condition, I only have another 4 weeks (when school gets out) to do the same with my body. Heck, if Valarie Bertanelli can do it (and she's my age as John has to keep pointing out ad nauseum) then why can't I?? Even if I was her weight I know it wouldn't get distributed in such a fortunate way, but thinner in any form is better.

So. Today I eat salad and strap on the pedometer and walk the yard at least 10 times. One day at a time, one pound at a time.

Anyone else want to get excited about joining me? :)

www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
Re: The Nearly Summer Slim Down Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
I was planning to jump back on SBD tomorrow after yesterday's beach night with sangria, chips and spinach dip.  I was doing good and was down 10 lbs but the past few weeks I've put some of it back on :053

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
I never really stopped since I began on 12/30/08. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »
Well... Even the author of the SBD book named it that way, but any "diet" is a lifestyle change if you can stick to it. Some of us just had another lifestyle change - back to our old diet...  :-[ LOL
Sure Jeri, I want to thump you for only having 12 pounds to lose  :P but controlled carb AKA SBD is my way also. (Does anybody else see SBD and think "silent but deadly?"  :laugh:) I joined Planet Fitness recently and have been going to walk the treadmill on my lunch hour - have only lost a few pounds so far but I am encouraged. It's a start.
I just got a variety package of these: http://www.miraclenoodle.com/
They are all soluble plant fiber and therefore no net carbs!  :D!
I am going to try some out with spaghetti sauce this week. If anyone wants a report back I will do that. Pasta was something I sorely missed on low carb. If I wanted spaghetti I had to make spaghetti squash and put sauce on that. Now if they could come up with a plant fiber that tastes like potatoes, I'd be set for life!  :laugh:

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 10:21:37 PM »
Deborah I couldn't agree more - it is a lifestyle change!

I guess for me it always comes down to money and what we can afford to spend at the grocery store.  Pasta is my biggest problem because we eat it 3-4 times a week.  SBD is also a challenge when you don't eat meat.  There is a vegetarian version of the diet but its not in book form, you actually have to pay to join the website and I can't afford to do that.

I've been following this blog and she's got great recipes!
http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 06:09:17 AM »
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly that it has to be a lifestyle choice. While I have managed to do this quite easily with my beverages (I only drink water, green tea and occasionally fruit juice) I find food to be much tougher.

I did eat the salad yesterday and wanted to have grilled salmon with it but didn't make it to the store. So we had salmon patties instead. I feel much better after a meal like that then I do after gorging on pasta or potatoes. I think we all like that stuff, but I feel bloated and when I get the insulin dump from my body trying to control the carb-to-sugar conversion I get really really sleepy. I have enough issues with fatigue due to my MS already. I wish I could quit compounding the problem with my food choices.

D, here's a yahoo group for a vegetarian version of SBD:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/VegetarianSouthBeachDiet/

@Suze: yes, I have often thought of something else when I see SBD. ROFL Trashy minds think alike I guess.

Do report back about the Miracle Noodles! I visited the website and read extensively. Seems almost too good to be true, but as I sit here having not had an MS relapse in 21 months, I can attest to the health benefits of other things the Chinese have known about for years (the fungus my drug comes from), so I'm not a skeptic at all.

Today I"m going shopping for more fruits and veggies.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 07:39:44 AM »
FYI, I apologize if I was not clear when I said that I was still following my food plan. I am following the WW points plan, not SB. But, either one, it's all about choosing to change the way we eat, and making it the norm, not just a short-term diet.
I don't feel deprived, and I am able to eat many of my favorite foods, it's all about balance and portions.
Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:37:19 AM »
I am a WW girl, too.

I struggled for years with it because, conceptually, I love the idea of Core/Simply Filling - the lower carb/SBDy version of WW.   And I hated counting points.

Then WW did a GREAT iPhone integration last year and it just works for me.    And it finally . . . after being on and off diets since I was a child . . . clicked . . . that in order for a diet to become a lifestyle, it has to actually *fit* with my lifestyle.   That's what makes it sustainable.  In a perfect world, I would eat only lean meat, fruit, fresh garden grown veggies, and healthy complex carbs like whole wheat pasta and brown rice.     In my world . . . dinner often has to be something that can be microwaved, delivered, or ordered at a drive thru.    MOST of the time I do eat the heathy foods above.   But WW (and the nifty iPhone interface) helps me make the best choices when I can't.    (Did ya know that you can get a fresco burrito supreme from Taco Bell for 6 points?   Or a regular roast beef from Arby's for 7? :))

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:17:57 AM by iron chick »

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 09:15:45 AM »
. But, either one, it's all about choosing to change the way we eat, and making it the norm, not just a short-term diet.

:0191 :0191 :0191

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »
The first time I did SBD was when the book first came out - I read it from cover to cover so I understood the ins and outs and the why's.  It makes perfect sense to me, always has and as a result I did make permanent lifestyle changes, I gave up potatoes and that's one thing that stuck, I don't buy them still after all these years and I don't feel the need to serve a starch at dinner.  I pretty much serve my family meat and fresh veggies or a salad when its not a pasta night.

When we eat pasta I always buy whole grain pastas, I used to only be able to get them at the health food store but now even Sweetbay makes their own.

I've tried WW and did well when I was counting points but for me that got old real quick, I don't want my life to be all about the points.  There are things from WW that stuck with me as well and have made a positive change as a result.  My biggest drawback from WW points was saving them up to splurge and that wasn't good for me.

Eating breakfast is a biggie for me and something I need to learn to do!

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »
Gosh I love potato's, rice and pasta.

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »
Let's see, at my current weight, if I start dieting today and lose at a medically recommended rate, I should be in perfect shape by summer, 2012.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »
Let's see, at my current weight, if I start dieting today and lose at a medically recommended rate, I should be in perfect shape by summer, 2012.
Well, that's great!  ;) At least you'd be in shape for 6 months before the end of the world!
http://www.2012endofdays.org/Mayan/Mayan-Calendar.php
 :laugh:
OK I couldn't resist, LOL

Gosh I love potato's, rice and pasta.

Me, too!  :-[ ESPECIALLY potatoes - mashed with butter, salt and some pepper. My favorite comfort food.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »
Well, that's great!  Wink At least you'd be in shape for 6 months before the end of the world!
Maybe he can outrun it.  :bliss

I love pasta, but could give it up. Potatoes I can take or leave... my biggest downfall is baked goods. I'd kill for a cranberry orange muffin.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 02:52:11 PM »
There has yet to be found a potato recipe I won't eat.

Love 'em.

Pasta?
<swooooon>

Rice...I could live a year without, but I'd eventually want some.

If they would come up with the all potato with lots of gooey stuff, pasta and rice diet...I'd sign up for it in a minute.

One of my sons eats a lean piece of meat, veggie and cup of rice, pasta or potato five nights a week for dinner, a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and a sensible lunch and then splurges on the weekend. It evens out for him.

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 03:34:12 PM »
I have always LOVED potatoes and thought I could never live without them.  I still eat them from time to time but I don't keep them in the house anymore.

Pasta?  I don't think I could ever live without pasta.  And rice, I love wild rice or brown rice with steamed veggies.

That's what I love about SBD, its not about giving up the things you love (carbs) but learning which ones are the better choice and listening to your body.  Like Jeri mentioned feeling bloated after eating something.  Its learning about good carbs and good fat and finding a happy balance that works for you as an individual.  It really is a lifestyle change.

The only hard part is the fist two weeks AKA Phase 1 which is pretty strict so you can break the cravings.  I don't usually last two weeks w/out wanting some fruit so I tend to go back and forth from Phase 1 and 2 - the weight comes off a tad slower but for me its worth it to have my fruit and it fits my lifestyle better.

I'm currently looking into a YMCA membership - I was told based on income we may qualify for the $25/month family plan.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
I'm currently looking into a YMCA membership - I was told based on income we may qualify for the $25/month family plan.
A YMCA membership is worth every dime you pay for it.

My children took Totnastics, Gymnastics, Baskeball, Racquetball, Swimming and more.

Hubbie used the Racqueball courts.

The exercise room was and still is awesome.

They have great exercise classes everything from starting aerobics, dance type, to full blown kill ya exercise programs.

So many programs for you and your children to join together and/or separately.

We no longer belong cuz it would mean a drive into town since we've moved farther out. But it's worth it in my opinion.

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
What I love about the WW points menu is that I can have my favorites and stay "legal". I just had chicken parmesan with pasta and sauce and it was only 5 pts. (310 calories). I love pasta. Yesterday I had chicken and penne pasta with broccoli and carrots and garlic sauce for dinner 5 points (290 calories). I am a happy girl. Deborah

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf