Author Topic: For those who are familiar with this subject and especially those who aren't-  (Read 1223 times)

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters

<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
Thanks for posting that! So sad to be diagnosed so young with her whole life ahead of her.

If there was ever a *good* time to get MS, it would have to be now, tho. There is so much promise of new treatments coming down the pipeline. Just 20 short years ago there was NO treatment at all. Then came 3 injectible drugs. Not only did you have to suddenly deal with a life altering, incurable diagnosis, but you had to overcome any squeaminshess about needles and buck up and do your shots...

Now there are 4 different pills in a race to win FDA approval and some of them (including the one I am on) are purported to have a more powerful effect at staving off disease activity for longer periods of time than any of the previously approved therapies.

When I first joined the clinical trial I was relapsing every 3 months, never off my canes and sometimes in a wheel chair. I bought an electric wheel chair from IronChick preparing for my eventual need to be seated more than standing/walking. I had begun the mental preparation for the inevitable.

But through this clinical trial I have regained a meaningful, productive life that allows me to feel very nearly as normal as I ever did pre-diagnosis. While not all people on the trial have experienced the level of success with the drug that I have, it has helped more people that it's been ineffective for.

Since starting this trial in Aug 07, I have only had one suspicious week with mild numbness/weakness in my arms around Christmas time. That's the closest I have come to a relapse and my doctor doesn't even acknowledge that it was one. That's over 18 months on the medication and over 20 months since my last relapse.

There is hope for people such as Krista and I hope she takes advantage of every opportunity she has to fight this awful disease.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf