Author Topic: even amazon fakes MSRPs to make prices look better  (Read 5031 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
even amazon fakes MSRPs to make prices look better
« on: September 17, 2008, 04:32:10 AM »
Lots of retailers do it, but Amazon is one place you least expect it, especially with name brand products.  However, they do manipulate MSRPs to make their discounts look better than they actually are. 

Proof:
according to the info http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-F5914-900-SteamVac-Clean-Surge/dp/B00009R66F
the Hoover F5914900 has a List Price of $249.99 and is on sale for $169.99, for an alleged savings of $80.00 (32%)
However, if you go to the mfg website http://www.hoover.com/Product.aspx?model=F5914900&ds=false , it has an MSRP of $179.99, for a real savings of $10 (5.6%)

Two lessons in this.  One is that consumers should always watch prices of items and best to be aware of what an item should cost. The other is a lesson for sellers - that many consumers dont know what items should cost and will take your word for it.

I've seen this type of thing many a time, but typically with non-name brand items.   For example, I've seen jewelry items that are supposedly wholesale prices, when in fact the so-called wholesale price is just as high, if not higher, than my retail for the same exact item.   I havent seen it much in the name-brand world, though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:36:57 AM by WayOutWest »

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
Re: even amazon fakes MSRPs to make prices look better
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:28 AM »
The MSRP on any particular product page may or may not have been set by Amazon.    The merchant who creates a product has the ability to supply any information whatsoever for that (or any other) field.     Any merchant who lists on a product page is able to submit information - if that merchant has higher ASIN authority than the current merchant supplying the info for a field, the new information will replace the old.    While Amazon certainly has greater ASIN authority than any other merchant, they very often supply only minimal information when they list on existing product pages.

Which is the long way of saying, Amazon may have set this MSRP but it also could have been any of the other merchants who have listed an item on this product page, past and present.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:21:35 AM »
In my opinion (and I really don't know how Amazon works, so take it with a grain of salt) I think the ability for one person to create the ad for a product and subsequent sellers of same product are stuck with that description/details/etc. is the greatest flaw about Amazon. Like the one figureure that BF always referenced. It might add uniformity to the site, but if the author was an idiot, it's uniform stupidity.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:26:37 AM »
We do sell on Amazon and right now the ability of a merchant to come along and change a product page on which we have an item listed is one of the largest daily obstacles we face on that venue.

Nothing like getting an order for an item you don't sell and have never sold because another merchant made a substantial and material change to a product page where you had an item listed.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »
See, that confuses me...the way BF always complained about it made it sound as if changes were not possible, thus being stuck with misspellings etc. I'm lucky I don't sell there because I'd probably spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figureure it all out.  lol
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:33:29 AM »
They've always responded fairly quickly when I've reported issues like title and description or title and photo being for different products. That doesn't help if you've already sold the incorrect item, but if you happen to see something, definitely report it.

I guess it happens when big sellers copy and paste stuff into a spreadsheet?

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »
It all depends on the ASIN authority of the merchant (relative to the other merchants who contributed info re that specific product page.

Figureure is actually in the UPC code data from Hasbro for these items and apparently a larger merchant was/is using feeds that pull directly from that UPC code data.   

Anyone listing on a page can submit data.  For each field, Amazon looks at our ASIN authority relative to the ASIN authority of the merchant currently supplying that field.   If yours is higher, your info for that field is substituted.   If yours is lower, your info for that field is ignored.     To make it even more confusing (and this results in product pages were the image, title, and description all refer to different items), this decision is made on a field by field basis, so your info may be accepted for one ore more of the fields for which you are supplying info, but not all.   

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
I have seen MAJOR brand names tags with 2 different Suggested Retail Price printed on them for the exact same item.

I got a shirt here - it same $97.50 Suggested Retail Price I got that same shirt in Chicago - same exact size, color, RN #, UPC#, etc etc  and it was priced at $109.50
NOT the store tag - this was the manufacture tag.

The Suggested Retail Price has ALOT to do with the region the item was intended to be sold in. 
I am guessing the Suggested Retail Price in Beverly Hills would be higher then in Denver.

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

oal

• Able Advisor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Oranges & Limes (Amazon Storefront)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 02:53:14 PM »
We do sell on Amazon and right now the ability of a merchant to come along and change a product page on which we have an item listed is one of the largest daily obstacles we face on that venue.

Nothing like getting an order for an item you don't sell and have never sold because another merchant made a substantial and material change to a product page where you had an item listed.

We also love when someone changes a listing to a multiple quantity so that you have a sale at a single-item price with a multi-item title.  We sold mousse last week that magically became a 3-pack overnight. *sigh* 

Stacy
~*~Insulin is life support. Please support a cure for Type 1 Diabetes~*~

Oranges & Limes

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »
imho, sellers that do that kind of editing need to be permanently bumped back down to marketplace status so that they cant mess up any more items.

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:11:17 PM »
But that's the thing about Amazon. I'm a regular, bottom rung seller but I can submit changes and they accept almost all of them.

Is it different? In my case they have to be accepted by someone at Amazon. If you're in a higher tier do you get to bypass the quality control?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »
^ hmm... I thought only seller central merchants could change the listings, but I guess I'm wrong about that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf