Author Topic: Payments By Amazon  (Read 9841 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Payments By Amazon
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »
yesterday I got a phone call from Amazon about their payment service program (similar to paypal and google checkout) and thought I'd share the info about the program in case it might be useful to other sellers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Let Customers Pay Using Their Amazon.com Account

Amazon Payments offers a set of payment and checkout solutions that enables tens of millions of Amazon.com customers to complete purchases on your website using information in their Amazon.com account.

Checkout by Amazon
Checkout by Amazon is a complete ecommerce checkout solution that provides your customers with the same secure and trusted checkout experience available on Amazon.com today. It offers unique features including Amazon's 1-Click®. It provides tools to manage shipping charges, sales tax, promotions, and post-sale activities including refunds, cancellations, and charge-backs.

Amazon Simple Pay
Amazon Simple Pay is a set of payment-only products that allow your customers to use information from their Amazon.com account (and payment information already on file at Amazon) as a payment method. If you don't need Amazon's end-to-end checkout pipeline, but still want to enable your customers to use their payment information already on file at Amazon, use Amazon Simple Pay.

To learn more, go to: http://www.amazonservices.com/payments

How it Works (For you)
Setup your Account
 Follow a few quick and easy instructions to set up your Amazon Payments Seller account. Complete your settings such as your customer-facing information, shipping and tax rates.

Place Amazon Payments buttons on your website
Integrate Amazon Payments with your website. Communicate to your customers that you now accept Amazon Payments using these marketing tools. Once you have successfully integrated, tens of millions of Amazon customers can use their Amazon account to complete purchases on your website without re-entering information.

Customers place orders by clicking on Amazon Payments buttons
By clicking on Amazon Checkout buttons placed on your website, customers place orders and experience the familiar checkout experience they enjoy at Amazon.com.

You ship products to customers
Amazon Payments notifies you by email when an order has been placed. You simply pack and ship your item to the customer (unless you let Fulfillment by Amazon do the work).

Amazon transfers payments to you
Amazon Payments deposits payments received from your customers into your bank account, and sends you an email notifying you that your payment has been sent.

How it Works (For your customers)
Checkout by Amazon

There are three types of customer experiences, depending on how a customer has their Amazon.com account set up. For all experiences, your customer will:

1. Click the Amazon Payments button from merchant’s shopping cart
2. Log into their Amazon.com account and access the information stored there, including billing, shipping and payment information
3. Quickly and easily complete their purchase

Following are the varied experiences:
1-Click
Express Lane
Standard

Checkout by Amazon
1-Click experience
Checkout by Amazon™ can identify Amazon.com customers shopping on your website and offer them the 1-Click® experience. Customers have the option of using their 1-Click settings to complete their purchase without leaving your website.

1. When your customers are ready to checkout, they click the Checkout by Amazon button. 
2. The button expands into a widget. Customers choose a shipping address and click the 1-Click button to place the order.
3. The customers are returned to a URL that you specify. Amazon Payments sends a confirmation email to you and the customer.

Express Lane Experience
Checkout by Amazon offers a personalized checkout experience for Amazon.com customers shopping on your website. Customers can see the order summary and checkout without leaving your website.

1. When your customers are ready to checkout, they click the Checkout by Amazon button.
2. The button expands into a widget. Customers click the Continue Checkout button.
3. The order summary is shown to your customers as a pop-over in your website.  Customers place the order.
4. The customers are returned to a URL you specify.  Amazon Payments sends a confirmation email to you and the customer.

Standard Checkout Experience
Even if Checkout by Amazon cannot identify the customer, it provides a convenient checkout experience at your website - the same secure and trusted checkout experience they enjoy at Amazon.com.

1. Customers shop on your website and add items to their cart. 
2. When your customers are ready to checkout, they click the Checkout by Amazon button.
3. Customers are taken to the Amazon Payments website where they sign in with their Amazon account.
4. Customers choose a shipping address and payment instrument, and place the order.
5. The customers are returned to a URL that you specify.  Amazon Payments sends a confirmation email to you and the customer.

How it Works (For your customers)
Amazon Simple Pay
Amazon Simple Pay can be integrated as a sole payment method or as an additional option on a merchant’s site.

Amazon Simple Pay - Standalone
1. When your customers are ready to buy, they click the Pay Now button
2. Customers are taken to the Amazon Payments website.
3. Customers choose a payment method and make the payment.
4. Customers are returned to a URL that you specify. Amazon Payments sends a confirmation email to you and the customer.

Amazon Simple Pay - Additional Payment Method
1. When your customers are ready to buy, they select the Amazon Payments radio button and click your Continue button.
2. Customers are taken to the Amazon Payments website.
3. Customers choose a payment method and make the payment.
4. Customers are returned to a URL that you specify. Amazon Payments sends a confirmation email to you and the customer.

Pricing

There are no start-up charges, monthly charges, hidden fees, or long-term contracts when using Checkout by Amazon and Amazon Simple Pay.

Fees are assessed on a per-transaction basis and vary depending on the transaction amount. They are based on a percentage of the transaction amount plus a per transaction fee.

For Transactions >= $10:
   2.9% + $0.30 for all transactions
Volume Discounts
   2.5% + $.30 for all transactions for monthly payment volume from $3k-$10k
   2.2% + $.30 for all transactions for monthly payment volume from $10k - $100k
   1.9% + $.30 for all transactions for monthly payment volume over $100k
For Transactions < $10:
   5.0% + $0.05 for all transactions

For more information, or to register to Amazon Payments account, contact:

Anthony Uno
206-266-9030
anthonyu  @  amazon.com

http://www.amazonservices.com/payments

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:42:40 AM by WayOutWest »

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
Re: Payments By Amazon
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »
So you can use this outside of Amazon?  Like on your own website that's not linked to Amazon?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »
exactly  :h0161  Can use amazon checkout with your own website, etc.

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:15:02 AM »
They figured they already had it set up, why not compete with payEnemy?
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »
Great - thanks!

So what do you all think about this vs the other options?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »
i would tend to trust them over paypal. They seem to do more checks on whether the person is the cardholder or not.   And, I would think that customers would trust amazon more than paypal (since paypal seems to be more associated with fly-by-night scammers - course, I remember back in the early days when warez sites and such were doing payments by paypal, so my views may be skewed)

That could be incorrect about higher customer trust and more thorough checks, that's just my impression.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:09:11 PM by WayOutWest »

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »
IMO, Amazon does a  very good job of protecting merchants.   (I'm assuming they will offer the same protection to merchants using their payment system on independent websites.)

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 12:03:16 PM »
I'm leaning towards consumer confidence right now.

The payment means also have to take a look at the reputations of their owners in the last year.

Paypal? eBay's reputation has taken a huge hit in the last year.

Amazon Payments? Amazon's reputation hasn't.

I'm signed up and have been signed up for a long time. Just haven't used them or thought to use them.

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 01:06:35 PM »
Had an Amazon claim where the buyer filed through CC and won.  Amazon reimbursed me because they agreed the claim was :bull.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 01:09:59 PM »
Doesn't get much sweeter than that BF.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »
Here's the link for Amazon Payments Sign in

For persons who've been signed up but didn't bookmark the link.

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 02:26:28 PM »
Thanks for all the input :up

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 04:23:03 PM »
So fees for typical transactions (typical for me) are the same as PayPal and slightly more for transactions under $10.

I don't think I missed it above but I wonder if it's possible to simply invoice through Amazon Payments rather than integrating?

biscuit

• Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • http://creativenotions.net
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 04:37:37 PM »
Rick, there's no invoicing feature like in Google Checkout (that I know of), but you may be able to use something like Amazon Simple Pay to just attach a "Pay Now" type button to an invoice.  I've not used it yet, so I can't be sure, but just thought I'd put it out there.

http://www.amazonservices.com/payments/simplepay.html

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 04:44:27 PM »
Apparently I'm already signed up just because I have an Amazon account.  Used Donna's link and just signed in then all I did was verify my email address.  Then got an email from paypal stating Amazon charged my account $1.00.

All I did was verify an email, not any of my cards or bank accounts on file.  Just so happens one of my cards on file at Amazon is my PP card. I know they do this to verify accounts or funds but I didn't authorize that, just an email was all.

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 06:07:19 PM »
Apparently I'm already signed up just because I have an Amazon account.  Used Donna's link and just signed in then all I did was verify my email address.  Then got an email from paypal stating Amazon charged my account $1.00.

All I did was verify an email, not any of my cards or bank accounts on file.  Just so happens one of my cards on file at Amazon is my PP card. I know they do this to verify accounts or funds but I didn't authorize that, just an email was all.

THEY are verifying.  I bet that charge never actually comes out of your account. 
sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »
Oh I know - my point was I only verified my email address not any of my accounts already on file, just found it odd is all.

ICToys.com

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • IC Toys
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 10:52:07 AM »
Amazon lives and dies by email addresses - for them that email address IS that account on file.

It is worth noting that Amazon places reserves on funds for new Tier 1 sellers using Amazon payments - your money is not immediately available.    https://payments.amazon.com:443/sdui/sdui/about?nodeId=6016 

I also think that disbursements are only made every two weeks.   I couldn't find that in the info - yet - but it's my gut feeling.   If so, that means that for new sellers, you could be facing a lag of up to a bit over one month before receiving your money - it takes about 5 days from disbursement to bank account for me - depending on when a sale was made in the cycle. 

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 05:20:52 PM »
after talking with amazon today regarding the service, I think it's not only going to be big, I think it's going to be huge.  I really think theyre going to beat out paypal and google checkout. 

Not sure how much I can repeat, but let's just say that it'll soon be an available payment method in lots of places. 

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »
Next time you talk to them...I can NOT find anywhere how often we're allowed to receive our money.

Is it a transferrable out anytime? (such as eBay)
Is it the same as a regular selling account on Amazon? (daily)
Is it Seller Central guidelines? (every two weeks)

I can't find it and I'd love to have an answer before I move forward.

THANKS!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf