Author Topic: Leukemia drug found to reverse effects of MS.  (Read 1517 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Leukemia drug found to reverse effects of MS.
« on: October 24, 2008, 07:50:07 AM »
full story at http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081023/ts_afp/britainscienceresearch;_ylt=Ao3VoqLygdFPjxR8QL6rjkaGOrgF

LONDON (AFP) – Researchers at the University of Cambridge said Thursday they have found that a drug originally developed to treat leukaemia can halt and even reverse the debilitating effects of multiple sclerosis (MS).

In trials, alemtuzumab reduced the number of attacks in sufferers and also helped them recover lost functions, apparently allowing damaged brain tissue to repair so that individuals were less disabled than at the start of the study.

"The ability of an MS drug to promote brain repair is unprecedented," said Dr Alasdair Coles, a lecturer at Cambridge university's department of clinical neurosciences, who coordinated many aspects of the study.

"We are witnessing a drug which, if given early enough, might effectively stop the advancement of the disease and also restore lost function by promoting repair of the damaged brain tissue."

. . .

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
Re: Leukemia drug found to reverse effects of MS.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »
Thanks so much for posting. I try to stay up on MS due to my mother having had the disease...I've sent this to my cousin. (she has MS also)

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
Re: Leukemia drug found to reverse effects of MS.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »
As you can imagine, the MS boards are just hopping with excitement over this news -- but they are not without some measure of trepidation. Campath (it's easier name) has been in trials for MS for a while now. Originally developed in the 70's for Leukemia patients, it was found to have some severe side effects and is really only being considered as a second line medication instead of a first, for that reason. Side effects can include

immune thrombocytopenic purpura:
"Immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) is a clinical syndrome in which a decreased number of circulating platelets (thrombocytopenia) manifests as a bleeding tendency, easy bruising (purpura), or extravasation of blood from capillaries into skin and mucous membranes."

I'm telling you what, side effects aside, if someone is unfortunate enough to be told they have MS today, there's been no brighter future for them than there is today. There are 5 oral MS medications (for the first time EVER rather than medications that have to be self-injected or administered by IV) in the pipeline as well as stem cell treatment, immune system reboot, and other, stronger drugs like this Campath.

I'm surprised it hasn't made more news, but this oral drug I am on has been proven to cross the blood brain barrier due to it being a small molecule, and having a positive effect on reversing previous damage.

They are even working on a vaccine for MS called Neurovax. Maybe one day...

Thanks for posting this, WoW. I had not yet received it via email alert and hadn't been to the boards yet, so I heard it here first.  :h0161
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf