Author Topic: Why schools need more money discovered  (Read 2212 times)

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
Why schools need more money discovered
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:41:49 PM »
Virtually every public school system is begging for more money.  Last night, a friend of mine discovered the reason, quite by accident.  This is a true story, not some urban legend:

Had that weather watch program out at liberty center.. Went well..... Elaine and I went out to Sonic burger for a late dinner..... The bill was 12.90

Well the girl rolled out and and brought food.. I gave her a twenty and she handed me a dime and some more money I just stuff in the shirt pocket....I gave her a one for her trouble.. (tip)....

Food was really good when it is fixed fresh... Onion ring were great too.....

Got home and was taking the money out of pocket.... I had 11.00 and the dime........plus the dollar I gave her makes a total of 12.10 back out of the twenty and the food bill should have been 12.90....... I like this new math.....

I remember the introduction of gnu maf.  I was in 8th grade at the time.  They were having a special evening for parents to come in and learn this improved system, so they could properly help their kids with their homework.

The maf teacher asked me to come and help explain it to the parents because "you have a better grasp of it than I do."

Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
Re: Why schools need more money discovered
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:09:48 AM »
I gave her a one for her trouble.. (tip)....

BF - Your friend is a lousy tipper!  $1 for a $12.90 bill ... that's like 8% tip ... and you say "This is a true story, not some urban legend" ... that's just sad!

Sounds to me like YOUR FRIEND tipped her based on what he paid. - at least 13% is a little better.
After all these years I don't think yoru friend as a gasp of the "new math" any more then the server did.

BTW, it's not new math ... it's the only math I ever learned.  I always wondered what old math was.

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:34:43 PM »
sonic is like mcdonald's with carhops on roller skates, most people don't tip at all.  you park in the lot, call in your order, clean up your own mess, no drink refills, etc.

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »
Yeah, tipping at Sonic is unheard of.

The story reminds me of when the power went out a a mexican restaurant near here when I was in line to pick up my to-go order. The cash register was electric and they couldn't find the calculator. The girl behind the counter was frozen stiff with fear because she didn't have a clue what to do.

Seeing the first person in line get some outrageous total, the rest of us whipped out pens and pencils and did our OWN math for her. (I wonder how many didn't carry a 1 on purpose?).

It's just sad.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »
sonic is like mcdonald's with carhops on roller skates, most people don't tip at all.  you park in the lot, call in your order, clean up your own mess, no drink refills, etc.

been to sonics, know people that work at sonic and they do get tipped. 
Our's has refills on regular soda drinks .. you just push that buttom and they skate on over.

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

sharkypete

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • International Know It All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »
BF - Your friend is a lousy tipper!  $1 for a $12.90 bill ... that's like 8% tip ... and you say "This is a true story, not some urban legend" ... that's just sad!

Sounds to me like YOUR FRIEND tipped her based on what he paid. - at least 13% is a little better.
After all these years I don't think yoru friend as a gasp of the "new math" any more then the server did.

BTW, it's not new math ... it's the only math I ever learned.  I always wondered what old math was.

No it's not, what is sad is that businesses can't hire a waitress and pay her a decent salery, and relies on their customer to pay them to walk 30 feet with their food. What's worse is now all of a sudden everyone seems to think they are entitled to a tip, from dunkin donuts, and other businesses. Why do I have to pay you more to serve me, if you're not paid enough get a job someplace else. I never tip at those places.
I Am The Man From Nantucket.

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I have a real problem with places that automagically decide their help should get an 18% tip.  If you think your help is that good, give them a raise.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »
We always tip at Sonic.
Ours has free refills of drinks...those who are our servers have always been kind to refill at no charge.
Different areas of the country might be different.
We tip 20% minimum...if there's a problem with the service then I go to the manager and we work it out.
I know too many peeps (and a son while in school) who've worked this industry and the base pay sucks.
Heck, if we are running a bar tab (which isn't often) we immediately place a tip out for the server/bartender down.
I even tip when we go through the drive-thru but that's just the way our family is and the way I was raised.
Doesn't mean what others do is wrong, doesn't mean that what I do is right...
Different folks, different strokes.

VintageSilver

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »
I've been a frequent customer at Sonic for 21+ years (they have the BEST Diet Dr. Pepper on ice in a non sweating cup...) and have NEVER driven away without tipping.  Never.  Ours don't all skate here - and so many of the Sonics actually have drive thru's now (I don't tip at the drive thru), however, if someone is bringing me the food, the extra napkins I ask for, a straw when I drop mine, and refills my drinks...they are getting a tip. 

I've never been a waitress, but know that it has to be one of the most demanding/demeaning jobs out there.  Even when I have poor wait service, there is a tip.  I'm just more generous when it's great service.

Can't imagine my family doing anything else, it's how we roll. :vroom

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »
Sonic opened here several years back and I was all excited to go there... until I did.

We have only been there twice and the second time was only because we just couldn't believe what bad service/food we got the first time and decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps the reason why nobody tips at this one is the same reason I'll never go back there.

The second time I went was when they were having the dollar banana splits. I ordered 3 of them, waited over a half hour to get them, and the server skated up to hand me (no exaggeration) a puddle of melted ice cream with some soupy goop in it (previously masquerading as toppings) and tried to charge me for it. I sent them back and was presented 20 min later with 3 identical abominations. I told them to shove it.

I don't care if she came out with them on a silver tray and bowed at the waist. Part of being a good waitress is taking note of the garbage you are about to serve someone and correcting the issue if it's obviously not worth serving. I'm not tipping for something I won't pay for to begin with. IMO just as much her fault as whoever made it if she thinks she should serve it to me anyhow. That sort of lack of pride and complacency isn't going to pry my hard earned cash loose.

I have spent YEARS as a waitress when I was younger, both in family restaurants and in nightclubs. It is the hardest job I ever had. It was also an inspiration to me to strive to do something more with my life. Yet my experience does not compel me to empty my pocket in sympathy.

When I didn't make good tips due to the fact that the food I was serving was bad, I got a different job. Nowadays that's next to impossible, I realize, but while jobs are scarce, so is the money I have to spend on food at a takeout joint.

Maybe ya'll have a better Sonic experience where you are, but I won't be going back to this one. And I don't know anyone who has ever tipped there.
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
and so many of the Sonics actually have drive thru's now (I don't tip at the drive thru),

Isn't that weird?  Seeing drive thrus at a Sonic?

We always tip there too - 20% for good service, more if they go above and beyond.

I waitressed my way through high school, and part of college - and man, was the money good back then!  We were paid less than minimum wage, of course, but the tips - I paid cash for a fairly new, good car in 1977 with the tips I made during one summer of waitressing.  Many nights I'd go home with $80+ cash from tips.

ETA:  And I guess I should add, for the benefit of any young'uns we may have here, that $80 cash for one night's work was dayum good money back in the day  :laugh: :gpa
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:36:37 PM by gypsumoon »

Rick Bradford

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Poopsheet
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:53:52 PM »
I do have problems with the existence of jobs that rely on the customer to pay the employees. But I don't mind tipping for good, friendly service.

As for Sonic, well, the consumer experience with any business almost always comes down to how the place is run, right? Go to a business a few times and you can pretty easily tell how well the employees like their boss and/or employer. Their experience becomes our experience.

The Sonic in our neighborhood is great! We've been going there for 6+ years and the service has always been good, most everybody's friendly and I could count the time an order was messed up on one hand (and I don't even want to admit the number of times per week we go -- gotta have my Dr. Pepper, you know). However, I can't say the same for any other Sonic in this area...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf