Author Topic: Amazon is already selling some prepared ‘Amazon Meal Kits’  (Read 1292 times)

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
From the article: Amazon is already selling some prepared ‘Amazon Meal Kits’

Based just on trademark filings and reported plans, Amazon’s potential entry into the prepared meal kit market has had a significant impact on freshly-IPO’d Blue Apron’s stock price. Now, however, we know that Amazon is actually already testing its own “Amazon Meal Kits,” thanks to a customer in Seattle who has already ordered and prepared one.

For select users able to participate in the trial, there are approximately 17 different meals on offer, and they range in price, starting at $14.99 and going up to $18.99. Chadd compared them favorably to other similar offerings from Blue Apron, HelloFresh, Sun Basket and Home Chef.

This is the clearest indication yet that Amazon intends to offer meal kits as a proper service. The ecommerce giant often spins up a business in a limited market first, as it has done with grocery pick up and delivery service and AmazonFresh prior to this, as well as its cashier-less retail shopping experience.

Footnote: Blue Aprons stock dropped on this announcement.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Re: Amazon is already selling some prepared ‘Amazon Meal Kits’
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »
That right there is the pisser with regards to Amazon. You come up with a good idea, and they try to horn in on it.  And, the more diversified the business, the harder it is to continue to do things well.  Typically one's core business will suffer.  Which, I'm seeing more and more complaints about poor packaging in regards to Amazon. Part of that, though, can be attributed to them simply selling more items.  Still, though, it's obvious they're not satisfied with making tons of money. They want to be the only corporation and in charge of it all.

It's gotten to where even *I* have started buying from other companies more often.  For example, I used to buy my toilet paper from Amazon. Their price on Scott 1000 is way cheaper than I can get locally. Their packages used to be such that the rolls individually wrapped inside the package (great for the RV).  Now, they have the same packages that the grocery has and they no longer put it in a box unless you opt for that version at an upcharge.  If you don't opt for that, they slap a label on it, UPS will tear the plastic, and your toilet paper will arrive already filthy.  Now I buy it from Boxed.  Boxed prices are slightly higher, but it comes in a box, is here in a day, and they have the individually wrapped rolls.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 01:55:22 PM by WayOutWest »

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:39:57 PM »
Would now be a good time to liquidate my stock of MREs?
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »
Long past time, Scoot.