Author Topic: Switch to Sprint & Get Free Unlimited Service for One Year  (Read 1470 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Switch to Sprint & Get Free Unlimited Service for One Year
« on: July 01, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »
Yes, you read that correctly. Switch to Sprint and get unlimited calling, unlimited texting, and unlimited 4GLTE data for a year!  Even includes 10GB/month hotspot service.

The fine print - must sign up for auto-pay and you will have to pay the taxes, so that's going to be anywhere from $5-$17 a month.

The other fine print - only certain phones qualify for the promo.  Some have said they've been able to use other Sprint-compatible phones by calling in, but others have had their promo all messed up by the reps that work the phone bank. So. . .

Offer ends July 31st (originally ended June 30th but they extended it).  Depending on how you work this program, you may need them to ship you a SIM card, so don't wait until the last minute to sign up since it'll take a few days to get the SIM card and get things sorted out.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

The webpage specifically mentions Verizon, but people have been able to switch from a variety of service providers.  For those that didn't have service that they wanted to switch, they bought prepaid sim cards from competitors, activated them, and then used that for switching.  Some have even said that they ported their Google Voice number over.

Official list of phones that qualify
Apple iPhone 5C (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 5S (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 6
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Apple iPhone 6S
Apple iPhone 6S Plus
Apple iPhone 7 (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone SE
Google Nexus 5 (AT&T and Verizon only)
Google Nexus 5X
Google Nexus 6
Google Nexus 6P
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
Motorola E4
Motorola Z2 Play
Motorola G4
Motorola G4 Play
Motorola G4 Plus
Motorola G5 Plus
Motorola X Pure Edition
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition

Moving more than one phone line?  Sign up for their referral program and then move the rest of them. 

Once you're signed up, get 25,000 free miles for American Airlines frequent flyer program by keying in your AAdvantage # here: https://promo.sprint.com/Registration/DisplayLanding?ECID=vanity:AAdvantage&LandingPartial=AAdvantageLanding
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:44:21 PM by WayOutWest »

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
Re: Switch to Sprint & Get Free Unlimited Service for One Year
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »
Forgot to add: phone needs to be unlocked so can use it on Sprint.  Some of those phones already are, but not all.  Can buy unlock codes on ebay for cheap if needed.  And, some of those phones come in different flavors (GSM only versions -- aka ATT/Tmobile, and CDMA only versions -- aka Verizon/Sprint).  Make sure it's CDMA compatible, especially if buying  one to get in on this deal.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:28:09 PM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »
Passed this over to my eldest and his wife who switched over from ATT to Verizon earlier this week.
Sooooo flippin unhappy with Verizon.

If their smart, they'll switch over.
Can't beat the deal!

Unlocking? That reminds me I have an iPhone 5c in the closet that is reset to factory but still locked to ATT...I've gotta get that done.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
I'm thinking of giving it a go myself. At the very least running it side by side with my TMobile phone at shows to see which I like better and which has fewer days of congestion. 

Huge thread on it at Slickdeals. I suggest the first page or two and then start reading around pg 338
https://slickdeals.net/f/10235008-one-year-of-free-unlimited-data-at-sprint-then-60-mo-for-line-1-40-mo-for-line-2-30-mo-line-for-lines-3-5?page=338#comments

Theres also discussion around pg 338/339 about getting phones not on official list, but that have the correct radios for CDMA, working on the deal.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:30:03 PM by WayOutWest »

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 11:32:37 PM »
Virgin Mobile, which is a Sprint MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) just announced that they're doing the same sort of plan. Buy an iPhone (starting at $280) from them and get 1 yr of service for $1 AND get a free companion flight to the UK plus hotel stay. After the year is up, it becomes $50 a month.  Plan is unlimited voice/text/4GLTE data with 800 minutes domestic roaming and 100mb domestic data roaming. Virgin's plan does NOT include tethering (Sprint's does).  Like Sprint's, Virgin's expires at end of July.  Unlike Sprint's, Virgin's can be used by existing customers.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
Some things to stack with the Sprint deal or Best Buy deal (which is below)

Up to 25,000 AAdvantage miles and $400 rebate (for $400 must activate 3 lines & at least 1 must be a ported number) https://promo.sprint.com/Registration/AAdvantageLanding

Port in your numbers and get $50 - $100 for each line, deposited to your credit union account (must sign up for a credit union account to claim). Takes a few weeks so will have to pay for at least a month's service
http://www.lovemycreditunion.org/sprintcreditunionmembercashrewards

* Cannot do both the credit union deal and the AAdvantage deal

6 months of Tidal HiFi subscription for free
https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/tidal.html?ECID=vanity%3Atidal

Sprint referral program - get $50 per line that's referred. Note: can't refer self and they have different terms in different places, some places saying only 1 customer line will qualify for referral, some saying both parties get $50, other places saying each line qualifies, and other places saying only you get the $50.
http://sprint.com/referral  Referral program takes 6 weeks, so will have to pay for 2 months service. Reportedly doesn't work with the free lines deal.

ebates Sprint rebates

BestBuy now has some iPhones on sale for Sprint with $75 best buy gift card included. Note: you pay taxes on the full retail price and there's a $30 per line activation fee that you might be able to get waived by calling Sprint.  Buy the phone on payment plan, sign up for a new, regular line for it with referral from spouse on their own acct, activate it with a Verizon SIM card (dont turn on with Sprint SIM!) and automatically unlock it (only works for some models), call Sprint and pay off the phone, if Verizon SIM card trick didn't work call Sprint and get it unlocked domestically and try as many times as needed until success, once unlocked cancel the line (you have 15 days to cancel a line without fees but may have to wait longer to cancel if claiming credit union monies), sell phone for profit on ebay or elsewhere or keep it and enjoy.

Normally, how these discounted phones promos work is that they finance the full retail, bill you 1/24th of the retail price each month (for 2 yrs) and give you a credit each month for the discount.  That way you have to stay locked in to the cell company for 2 yrs to actually get the sale price.  For example, if the MSRP is $480, sale price is $240, they finance the entire $480, bill you each month for $20, and give you a credit each month for $10.   However, according to numerous people on Slickdeals, Sprint and BestBuy aren't doing that in this instance.  Instead, they're only financing the discount price. Using my example numbers of $480 MSRP and 1/2 off, they'd only be financing the $240 and billing you $10 each month.  So, you can pay off the rest of the sale price right away over the phone with Sprint and cancel the service immediately before any bills are generated, if you want. 

Dont forget to get the phone unlocked domestically after paying it off!  BTW, Sprint has domestic locking and international locking. Unlocking domestic will unlock both intl. and domestic. Unlocking international does not unlock domestic. 

Phones that come with the $75 gift card
Apple - iPhone SE 16GB - $2.49/month for 24 months
Apple - iPhone SE 64GB - $4.99/month for 24 months

dont forget 1% bestbuy ebates

Can get $25 in best buy reward points for each additional line (1st line doesn't count) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/my-best-buy-mobile/pcmcat748300506854.c?id=pcmcat748300506854

They also have some other iPhones on sale that don't come with the gift card but that are still a good price, such as the iPhone 6s 64GB for $9.99 for 24 months click here for all iPhones on sale, sorted by price

Worth mentioning - all of these Sprint deals, even the free line deal, will result in a hard pull on your credit report for the initial creation of your account.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:10:09 AM by WayOutWest »

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 03:04:12 AM »
I was a little reluctant to switch my TMobile to Sprint, because one of the things I love about TMobile is that customer support is done here in the U.S., so you can actually understand what they're saying, Vs. Sprint's use of overseas call centers.  Plus, I know that TMobile has been increasing their tower capacity in the various cities I travel to (they did a massive tower overhaul in Houston right before the Super Bowl), resulting in few times of congested towers.  So, I decided to open a new line on Sprint's promo of switch to us and get a year free (so can run side by side with TMO and compare service), even though you're supposed to actually switch carriers to qualify.

What I did was to create a new google voice number, pay the $3 fee to unlock it for porting, created a PIN code to associate with the account (necessary for porting), and used that number.  It worked flawlessly.  It did require two phone calls, one to set up the Sprint account and another to finish the porting, but. . .

My experience with this promo, using a new, unlocked Moto G5 Plus and a Google Voice #

Used a SIM from amazon, which I was skeptical of using.  The listing only mentions Apple (phone is Android) and Sprint is known for having both device-specific SIMs AND promo specific SIMs.  In fact, according to Sprint reps last month, this promo required a specific model of SIM (SIMOLW506C).   Amazon listing says  SIMGLW436C but they sent a SIMOLW416C
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OE78KS4 (initially bought it intending to use in an iphone but since I had it...)   

If you want to play it safe and use the recommended SIM (SIMOLW506C) you can buy it on Sprint's website at https://m.sprint.com/shop/mobile/shop/accessory/ao/accessory_details.jsp?accSKU=105500049   From my experience, the whole thing goes much easier if you have the SIM before you call.

Edit - It looks like I simply got lucky in getting the right sim for my phone (Moto G5+).  Just read that the Moto E4 requires the 416 SIM

Anyway, regarding the promo and porting a Google Voice number:

Went to Google Voice, paid the $3 and created a PIN code.
to pay the $3 unlock fee: https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/unlock

Set up a PIN code - go to Google Voice, click the More icon on left column, click Legacy Google Voice, click gear icon on far right, select Settings, click the Voicemail and Text tab, enter a Voicemail PIN code.

Tried to use the website https://www.sprint.com/content/Sprint/sprint_com/us/en/shop/bring-your-own-phone.html?phone=byod but when I put in my IMEI and phone # (which it said was fine), and it tried to load the next page, it sat there with the loading icon doing nothing.

called 866-782-8777

Told agent I wanted to sign up for the transfer a number and get a year free promo.  When it came time to tell him the carrier and phone number, I said I was transferring a Google Project Fi number.  Used phone # as account # and gave the PIN number I set up in Google Voice.

After going through all of the hoops of setting up a new account, was told to turn phone off (if not already off) and turn it on in about 10 minutes.

Went about doing other stuff and checked a couple of hours later, and still not working.  So, decided to check status of porting of number at https://shop2.sprint.com/en/wlnp/check.shtml
it said that transfer had been authorized by my old provider, it was now waiting for port activation, and to call Sprint at 866-437-1818.  I called the number and the person answering took my Sprint info (# and Sprint PIN). After a little bit he said that it was now activated.

Waited a few minutes then turned phone on.  In order to get internet to work, I had to go into settings / carrier settings and tell it to update device config and PRL.

Phone worked straight away for incoming and outgoing calls, internet on phone, and outgoing messaging. Incoming messaging took a few hours to start working.

I tried repeatedly to sign up for My Sprint using ported phone number (going through the main Sprint site), but it kept saying "Device is not active or has been cancelled".  Nor was I able to sign up using the link they sent to my email. When trying that link it says "Invalid email"  Eventually (a few more hours later) I was able to create a My Sprint account by going through the website https://mysprint.sprint.com/mysprint/pages/sl/common/createProfile.jsp

Interestingly, it says my device is available for upgrade despite the fact that the terms of the promo are such that you're not supposed to be able to do that for 90 days, that doing that before 90 days is up will void the promo.  Other people have reported that their account shows they can't upgrade until October.

Edit - now it says that my device won't be upgrade eligible until July 1, 2019 (a year after the promo ends).  The terms of the promo is that it's supposed to be Oct 1, 2017.  Pretty much a moot point though since I doubt that I'll be financing a phone on the line.

Signed up for AAdvantage rewards.  It's still unknown whether or not that promo will work with the free lines.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:51:34 AM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »
I love my Google Voice number.
You've done the switch seamlessly.
I'm sure anyone who finds this thread will be indebted to you for your step by step experience.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf