Author Topic: Get $10 credit for using Amazon Cash (when you add $20 or more to your account)  (Read 1597 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
For those that don't know, Amazon has a new method of payment called Amazon Cash.  You go to any CVS, GameStop, or one of a few other retailers, show them a barcode that links to your Amazon account, they scan it, you give them however much you want added to your account, and it gets loaded onto your Amazon account.

It's exactly like buying an Amazon gift card, except you don't have to go home and type in the code in order to get it added to your Amazon account.

This is part of their plans to try to lure more of WalMart's customers away, to try to increase their lower income customer base.  However, I really don't see how it's any more convenient than typing in the card's number when you get home. In fact, it seems more of a pain since you don't always have your phone with you when you go into a store, and if you're lower-income (or really poor) you might not even have a smart phone.  So I just don't get it.  The only benefit I see is that the stores don't have to stock a physical pile of Amazon gift cards.  But there's ways around that as well. For example, they could key in the phone number that's linked to your Amazon account (which could be a landline or a cell #) *shrug*

That being said, in order to get people to try it, they're offering a $10 credit if you will use it to add $20 or more to your account.

The $20 can be paid using a variety of payment methods. You can pay with cash, debit card, credit card, gamestop trade in credits (if at a gamestop, of course), and any other payment method that the store will regularly let you use when buying an Amazon gift card.  Note: you cannot use gift cards (such as GameStop gift cards or CVS gift cards) and some store clerks have refused to allow people to use their credit card or debit card, despite the fact that you can.

Get your barcode for your Amazon account at https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?&node=16955883011

$20 must be added to your account by July 31st.
$10 promo credit will expire August 31st.
Promo credit will only work on items sold by Amazon.com

Also a very handy link - Ever get told by Amazon customer service that they're going to give you a promo credit for whatever reason and you want to confirm that they actually did, since they mess up so frequently?  Most promo credits can only been seen by adding an item to your cart and then going to the checkout system, but there's a better way.  Sign in to Amazon,  go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/features/unbox-process-gcpromo.html?&getBalance=1&showMobileApps=1&useAUI=1, and it will show you all of your current promo credits.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:23:04 AM by WayOutWest »

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
So I've been thinking about this whole Amazon Cash thing.  It hasn't made much sense, since you can just buy an Amazon gift card and do the same thing, but then it hit me. I think this is another step towards Amazon providing banking services and becoming the primary method of paying for goods and debts. 

It can easily work like a checking account, especially if they let you use it to pay at Whole Foods, eventually get B&M retailers to accept it as a payment method, and finally get utility companies and such to accept it.  When Amazon takes over the world of commerce (and that's not that big of a leap), providing banking services as well would be a logic step for them.

Now they also have a deal where you can link your bank account to Amazon and load your Amazon account similar to transferring money to your PayPal account.  Currently they're giving you a 2% bonus (E.g. transfer $100, get $102).  https://www.amazon.com/b?node=15452216011  A recent news article said Amazon is doing all of this (Amazon Cash and Prime Reload) in order to avoid credit card fees. However, I can't help but think it's bigger than that, especially knowing how Amazon plays the long game.  And, avoiding credit card fees doesn't explain the Amazon Cash thing.  Attracting consumers that don't have bank accounts while at the same time avoiding the expense of shipping out all of those physical gift cards does explain Amazon Cash, but nonetheless. . .

Crap, now I'm gonna have nightmares
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:05:36 AM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Gonna have to fully absorb this info before commenting fully.

Do you think this has anything to do with the Amazon GO stores?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
Possibly. It would certainly tie in to an all-emcompassing, Amazon eco-system where everyone has their paychecks direct deposited to their Amazon account. They then walk into any Go store, pick up their groceries, wave their phone, and out they go, heading home.

Get paid in cash? Deposit that to your Amazon account using Amazon Cash and then you're set for buying your groceries, etc.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Seems like the circle of life...ya think?
Who knows?
We predicted quite a few things years ago in this forum but who could've forseen what has been implemented.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
Yeah.  Even though I think I'm playing right into their plan of world domination, I did the add $20 to account thing today (for two different accts) and was super easy. Both the CVS person and the convenience store person knew what to do.  The $10 bonuses were credited immediately.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
I think Amazon wanting a foothold in the financial market makes sense. After all, they already do Amazon lending. Why not branch out and make more money?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
Banking is a huge source of income, especially if they become recognized as a bank.  As a bank they can then do fractional reserve banking (loaning out way more than what is deposited, thus basically creating money out of thin air).

There are, of course, pros and cons to being recognized as a bank, primarily all of the banking regulations, which is why PayPal fought so hard to not be recognized as a bank, even getting an FDIC ruling stating that they're not. http://www.zdnet.com/article/fdic-decides-paypals-no-bank/

I'm not sure Amazon wants to become a full-fledged bank, but they certainly want all of the benefits of one and are trying hard to get consumers to see them as more paypal-like.   

Speaking of such things, I still don't get why so many sites accept PayPal but don't accept Amazon Payments.  Is it that it's too much of a pain to integrate Vs. PayPal? Or is it that consumers are less comfortable using Amazon Payments?  :?

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Speaking of such things, I still don't get why so many sites accept PayPal but don't accept Amazon Payments.  Is it that it's too much of a pain to integrate Vs. PayPal? Or is it that consumers are less comfortable using Amazon Payments?  :?

Well, Amazon does have a significant reputation for being a corporate bully and destroying competition. I don't know if its committed any antitrust violations (I would assume it has, looking at the fall-out). With that kind of reputation, who wants to invite Amazon to do even more damage? Also, why would a company want to take Amazon payments? You would have customers continually comparing prices to Amazon and crapping on the non-Amazon seller if they don't lower the price to match Amazon. As a seller, I have enough headaches with Amazon. I'm not going to invite them into my bedroom.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf