Author Topic: eCommerce Hosting - Magento & Magemojo  (Read 924 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
eCommerce Hosting - Magento & Magemojo
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:36:19 AM »
So, as most of ya know, when I was selling ecig stuff, I examined a few different options, settled on Magento, and really liked it.  The only real problem I had with it was that my VPS host didn't have their server optimized for Magento, causing it to be slow at times (even kicking out some timeout errors) and any optimization of the server was up to me to deal with.  And, at the time I couldn't readily find a host that was focusing on Magento, except for a couple of very high priced ones.

My current host and software for jewelry site is no longer PCI compliant, due to the newer encryption and connection requirements and I've had it turned off for awhile until I could sit down and take the time to figure out what I wanted to do -- change software but keep host after getting host to update server, change hosts and get software patched, change both host and software, go to a fully managed ecommerce site such as shopify and move email hosting to godaddy, or what.

Well, I've done lots of looking and pricing and digging and finally settled on Magemojo for a host.  Their servers are configured to be fully PCI compliant, they focus specifically on hosting Magento stores, they will set up Magento for you and assist with your move from your current host, are reasonably priced (starter VPS packages are $58/month), include email server hosting, and so far I've had a good experience with their tech support.  They respond to all tickets promptly (claim 15 mins or less), 24/7.  On my current ticket they responded within 9 mins and their responses are in readable english!  They also have several Magento-related help pages available for their customers, saving both them and the customer many a headache.

While it's too early for me to give them a full review, if you're looking for a new host for an ecommerce site, you might consider Magemojo.

I'll try to remember to update this thread as my customer experience with them continues.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:47:17 AM by WayOutWest »

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
Re: eCommerce Hosting - Magento & Magemojo
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »
I can say this for them, their admin controls are much easier to use than previous host. Setting up emails, setting up SSL certificate, etc., are all super easy to find in the admin panel and only a few clicks involved.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:11:18 AM »
Thanks for the critique.
Those that find this thread via an internet search are going to be appreciative of your in depth analysis of the hosting.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »
Worth mentioning, Magemojo uses a VDS configuration (virtual dedicated server) rather than VPS (virtual private server).  The difference being that a VDS has fewer software layers between the virtual server and the hardware and thus, at least in theory, faster performance.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
Security?
How's that looking?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
So far security aspect looks okay.  In the process of all of this, I did discover a bug that I reported (which was what caused so many headaches for me in getting email working).  In their control panel, you can select which PCI compliance issues to do or to not do (e.g. use TSL1.0 on webserver or not to use), BUT any changing of any PCI settings kills their dovecot mailserver.  It's been booted up the chain to the server tech team.

Also, worth mentioning, their email client settings info is out of date.  It references using unsecure connection on ports 110 & 25 - that no longer works (at least it didnt for me).  The correct settings are:

server name (both incoming & outgoing):
<your-acct-name>.magemojo.com  E.g. mystore.magemojo.com
username:
your full email acct  E.g. sales@mystore.com

POP3 incoming
  use TSL
  port 995
POP3 outgoing
  use TSL
  port 465

IMAP incoming
  use SSL/TSL
  port 993
IMAP outgoing
  use SSL/TSL
  port 465

If using Outlook, see my fix in other thread http://ecommercesellersmotivators.com/index.php?topic=20587.msg159322#msg159322 to force Outlook to use TSL1.1 & 1.2
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:00:17 PM by WayOutWest »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
I hope they save your correspondence for future reference of quality users.
It would be awesome if they could compensate you for your hard work.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
Thanks. It's been a hair-puller, that's for sure.

Just got an email from Magemojo. They've identified the bug that's causing dovecot email to be killed and will be pushing out an update to fix within the next couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:32:16 PM by WayOutWest »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf