Author Topic: Fraudulent Charge on Card That's Only Been Used on Amazon  (Read 1809 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Fraudulent Charge on Card That's Only Been Used on Amazon
« on: December 17, 2015, 04:31:47 AM »
A few months back, Chase replaced one of my cards with one of those new, chip-enabled cards.  This card has only been used on Amazon. Yesterday, I got an alert from Chase, questioning a charge from Brazil!   Someone in Brazil used it to charge an $8 charge to the mass transit system there.

Because the card is still in my possession and has only been used on Amazon, it leads me to believe that either the info was stolen from Amazon or it was stolen from Chase.  Either way, it appears to be part of a much bigger data heist.   

It is possible that my computer is compromised and the data stolen when it was originally submitted to Amazon, but that's highly unlikely since my system is scanned daily by Norton and I don't open email attachments unless it's something that I'm expecting from someone I know (such as the pdf invoice I opened yesterday that was sent from a sterling silver chain manufacturer, after I emailed them my order).

Be on your toes and watch the charges on your cards!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:37:28 AM by WayOutWest »

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
Re: Fraudulent Charge on Card That's Only Been Used on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:20:32 AM »
From a former fraud prevention analyst: Seemingly small charges like this one COULD be a mistake in reading another legitimate account number but are often a means of testing the validity of the account information before going live. If you suspect the latter, have your account number changed. Don't wait until enough evidence is gathered and analyzed to confirm a breach. That can take months.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 05:42:30 AM »
Yeah, I hear ya.

Chase is supposed to call me later today about it.  I plan on asking them for a new number, after explaining that the only place it's been used is Amazon, so it appears to either have been a breach within Chase or Amazon.   I really suspect it was within Chase.  Of course, it could have been a hack of my Chase account, but I highly doubt it. My Chase password is 18 characters long, does not have any words, etc.

Back some time ago, my mother had fraud attempt from a Bank of America breach.   And, it had to have been at BoA (at their facility, a hack of, data tapes that were lost in transit, or something similar).  It was one of those card accounts where you have a master account and sub accounts. Well, the fraud attempt was with the number from one sub account and the name off of a different sub account (the card for which was NEVER used and was secured away from day 1). The only way a fraudster could have gotten part of the data from one and part from the other, was through BoA themselves.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:47:53 AM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »
Crossing fingers that all work out for you.
Normally (as Scoot stated) a small charge goes through to see if the number is valid when hacked.
Now to find out HOW the card was breached...Amazon or Chase.
Sending good thoughts that this works out.

Dayum, just Dayum...whadda crappy thing to have going on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf