Author Topic: Amazon Two-Step Verification is Mandatory by November 1  (Read 253 times)

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Amazon Two-Step Verification is Mandatory by November 1
« on: October 22, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »
Amazon Two-Step Verification is Mandatory by November 1

Oct 20, 2017
We want to make sure that all Seller accounts are more secure during and after the holiday season. To accomplish this, we require all Seller Central users to enable Two-Step Verification (2SV) before November 1. After that date, you will not be able to sign into Seller Central until you enable 2SV. Make sure that you and anyone with permissions for your account have enabled 2SV in order to ensure uninterrupted access to Seller Central.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Re: Amazon Two-Step Verification is Mandatory by November 1
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:39:45 AM »
I understand the reason, since so many sellers have fallen for scam emails that are sent out for stealing login info, but I really hate 2-step verifications 😞

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:09:08 AM »
I understand.
I'm like you, I definitely find the need for it.
But darn, Every time I do a clean up of my computer, I'm having to get a new 2 step verification.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
I have no problem with the 2SV being mandatory. Yes, it can be a pain since every time I close my browser, my history, cookies, cache etc. are all cleaned out. But this is security that makes me sleep easier at night knowing my money isn't going to some Russian or Chinese hacker.

There are a LOT of people whining on the forums about the inconvenience. Basically, they want the freedom to be as irresponsible as they feel like being and expect no consequences for their actions. I mean, if the effort to download an app on the computer/phone or the cost of getting a basic generic cell phone without all the bells and whistles is too much, then maybe they should rethink whether they belong on Amazon.

I know that last part was harsh, but c'mon. They need to take responsibility for their actions and if they want to run an Amazon business, then they need to treat it as such. That includes the IT and security part of it.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:57:27 PM »
Harsh?
Nope.
Spot on?
Yep.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »
I came across (well was actually forced to use by one of the crypto currency platforms) a 2-step verification that's not too bad and it supposedly works with Amazon, though I haven't tried it there yet.  The app is Duo Mobile.  It works like the old PayPal key that you press button on for numerical string, but it runs on phone and tablet.

The nice thing is you can install it on multiple devices and you can set it to back up your acct info to your Google drive acct, for fairly easy recovery and easy moving to other devices.  The downside is that it doesn't automatically   sync across devices.  The pain is that for every site you absolutely MUST print out a QRcode and store it somewhere safe (such as fireproof safe).  Plus you will use that printout to add the acct login to every device that Duo is already installed on (and to reactivate them when Duo is restored or moved to new device)

Still, though, I like it better than waiting on a code via text message, especially since sometimes (particularly with PayPal it seems) the text message takes so long to arrive that the code is expired when you get it.

Anyway just thought I'd share

Edit - works on Amazon, easy-peasy.  And, like PayPal security key, you can pull up the 6 digit rolling code in Duo before logging in, and merely append it to your passcode.  E.g. if code is 543543 and password is PA$$WORD, just put in password field PA$$WORD543543 instead of typing in password, waiting for prompt, and then putting in 6 digit code.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:00:59 PM by WayOutWest »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:09:23 PM »
Nerd
<smile>
The above stated from another proud nerd.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf