Author Topic: Walmart Continues to Spurn NFC Payments and Introduces QR-Code Based Walmart Pay  (Read 2711 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Walmart (or Wal-Mart for the old-schoolers) has a new payment option for their brick and mortar stores, called Walmart Pay.  Using Walmart's smartphone app, you select Walmart Pay, use your phone's camera to scan the QR Code displayed by the register's payment terminal, pay with the linked payment method of your choice (debit card, credit card, or Walmart gift card), and the e-receipt will be loaded into the app.  You can then push the receipt over to Walmart’s Savings Catcher, which automatically reimburses you for the price difference, should a local competitor be advertising the same item for a lower price (assuming Walmart has loaded the competitor's advertised price into the database).

Walmart Pay is first being introduced in 3 states (Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas) before being launched nationwide.  The nationwide roll-out is expected to occur in June.

It would be faster and easier for the customer to use Android Pay, Apple Pay, Capital One Pay, Samsung Pay, or any of the other digital payment methods that use a phone's NFC antenna, than it would be to deal with using a phone's camera to scan a QR code.  Instead, though, Walmart has opted to use technology that is antiquated, slow, and less secure.  The apparent reasons for the move are to make phone based payments be more widely adopted by Walmart's customers (since only the more expensive phones have NFC ability and thus a large part of Walmart's customer base isn't likely to have a way to use Android Pay, Apple Pay, etc.); because it keeps the customer entirely in Walmart's ecosystem, giving them more access to their data; and perhaps most importantly to Walmart, because the payment is processed entirely by Walmart's system, rather than relying in part on another party's system, Walmart can save a tiny bit on each transaction.

Sources: http://www.newson6.com/story/31946206/oklahoma-among-first-three-states-to-launch-walmart-pay
http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-pay-debuts-in-two-states-2016-5
http://macdailynews.com/2016/05/17/walmart-pay-continues-to-block-apple-pay-rolls-out-antiquated-qr-code-based-walmart-pay/
http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/10/walmart-pay/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:39:28 AM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Agreed!
I use Apple Pay where it's accepted...wish more merchants would sign on.
Son uses Android Pay and works like a charm.
I don't plan on moving away from Apple Pay, I at least know it's secure.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
I've barely used it (mainly because I only just got this phone in March) but I've got Android Pay and Capital One Pay both set up on my phone and love em. Super easy to use, and FAST!

The chip reader on our terminal for shop takes forever and a day (well over a minute). The NFC tap and pay on the same terminal takes seconds.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:42:43 AM by WayOutWest »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
I can't wait for more merchants include Apple Pay and Android Pay.
I do see Paypal at quite a few that I shop at...but not worth the time/effort, so I haven't.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
I tried to use Android Pay at a local grocery last night, but their software still hasn't been updated to enable both it and their credit card chip readers. :(

Speaking of, there's a lawsuit that's been filed over the delay in launching the chip reader software. What happened is that they (MC/V/etc) said that all merchants have to have it by Oct 1 of 2015 or the merchant will become automatically liable for any and all fraudulent card use.  A grocery chain and a liquor store chain (both based in Florida) filed the lawsuit.

What they didn't say about the liability shift was that this includes the merchant becoming liable for all legitimate card use where the card holder simply says it was fraudulent.  Meanwhile, everyone's software has to go through an approval process by EMVCo (which is run by MC/V/et.al.).  Well, there's a huge backlog in the approval process and now, 7 months later, many merchants are STILL waiting for their software to be approved.

The lawsuit is because of the delay, because of this shifting of liability, and because the interchange merchant fees are supposed to cover those instances of fraud where the merchant did everything they're supposed to in order to prevent fraud, but customer still claims it was fraud.

We've been hit with 3 chargebacks ourselves where we ended up losing and having to pay. Two from one customer, one from another.  In both customer instances, it was merely a case of the person not recognizing the charge and saying it was fraud, even though it was an in person transaction, the card was present, the signatures matched, etc. etc.; we did everything a merchant is supposed to do.  Why did we lose the chargebacks?  We lost automatically because we didn't use the chip reader.  Nevermind the fact that we (like many merchants) were still waiting on MC/V's EMVCo to approve the software so that we could use the reader.

The situation is so messed up, that even Sen. Durbin (of Illinois) has written a scathing letter, demanding answers from MC/V/et.al.  Our software is FINALLY updated, but it doesn't help with those charges that were already processed using the mag stripe.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:18:53 PM by WayOutWest »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
So sorry that happened to you.
You did everything a merchant was supposed to do and still lost.
Still waiting for our chip cards from our Publix Employees Credit Union.
Received BOA and so very, very few terminals require us to use it in the correct manner.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf