Author Topic: smashion.com - no transaction fees  (Read 9145 times)

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
smashion.com - no transaction fees
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:34:15 AM »
Clothing, jewelry, accessories, free to buy and sell.  Forums, blogs.

http://www.smashion.com/

ITSDF

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • If The Shoe Doesn't Fit
Re: smashion.com - no transaction fees
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »
They started last late 2009 but really seemed to blossom in april 2010- same time as ShoeSwaps.com and ReFinestyle.com
http://www.iftheshoedoesntfit.com
The Auction Site for Shoe Lovers!
Sell, Swap, or Shop for Shoes

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »
Have you bought or sold there, Ellen?

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »
about as many items as a midrange ebay major seller.  any idea how many users?
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
Not a clue, Fred.  Just found it via a style blog.  I'm going to haunt it a bit, will report back anything interesting I find.  Maybe others here know more.

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
It's just that I'm always leary when I hear of a "free" site that isn't clear about how many users or listings it has.  I've seen sites with millions of listings that didn't make it, so it's kinda non-productive to be spending time on a site where it's unlikely you'll sell anything, instead of putting your efforts where it's more likely you'll make returns.

Ask yourself:  Would I rather spend two hours creating a display ad for a FREE paper that 500 people will see, or spend the same time and paying $50 for the same ad where it's likely to draw $10,000 in sales?

One of the biggest problems I have had advertising over the years is how specialized my market is.  100% of people eat, maybe 5% collect comics (or coins, or baseball cards, whatever), so I pay 20 times as much per customer contact.

The alternative is specialized advertising, like ITSDF for shoe sales.  Then again, a booth at a mall show (4 tables) might be $200 a week, where a single table at a major coin show with similar traffic might be $1000, so again, you're paying a lot more per likely customer.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
It's just that I'm always leary when I hear of a "free" site that isn't clear about how many users or listings it has. 

Absolutely.  And the emphasis of this place is NOT the buying and selling.  It's the community for fashion-minded folk.

Still......I may give it a try, for a few things.  After I watch what's moving for awhile.

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 01:52:20 PM »
Featured Seller Program

How much are you willing to pay to be featured on the Smashion home page -- 100 dollars? No. Hmm, what about 7,800 Kwanza? Just kidding!

As a featured seller, you will be prominently promoted on our home page for 5-7 days. Should you require it, you will get hands-on assistance from our support team to help you customize your store front. After the initial week is over, you may be featured again in the future when we pick some past featured sellers to promote.

The best part of this program? It will cost you nothing! That's right, nothing. We, at Smashion, believe that helping you helps us!

To apply for our Featured Seller program, you can start by:

uploading an avatar (we don't think our default avatar does you any justice)
writing a couple of sentences about yourself in the profile
having at least 8 listings
Lastly, email to support@smashion.com your request with a personal photo which will be displayed in the Featured Seller section on our home page:

The photo should be 140(width) x 160(height) pixels in size.
Please use a front shot of yourself. We do not accept a cartoon picture or a group/couple picture.
Once your request is processed, we will notify you of the date when your photo will be put up on our home page.

Happy selling!

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »
Clothing, jewelry, accessories, free to buy and sell.  Forums, blogs.

http://www.smashion.com/

Forgot to say for  WOMEN ONLY
sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »

Good point.  I surely did.

ITSDF

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • If The Shoe Doesn't Fit
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »
No I have not bought or sold on it - but I have watched it.  In April of 2010 they had about 200 listings,  in july they were up to about 800 listings - then in August or Sept when I checked it they took that off the home page and had changed the format of the site.

Much like ShoeSwaps they really focus on social networking - not good or bad - but much less of attracting a "business" base than a social selling base. 

I know when I first saw these sites I cried - but I reminded myself - a) competition is good for everyone, b) there is soooo much business everyone can make it and c) I really have a different focus/model.  If anyone is closer to being competition for me it would be RefineStyle and I have bought on their site - I like the shoes :-)

There is also Yardseller on Facebook - which is a unique business model  - no fee to list - buyer pays a fee.  (I had considered this but decided against it after market research.  They seem to be doing ok - but I almost wonder if people know they are paying a buyers fee.   It's not really clear. 

I do have some good news - I'll post in a separate topic later tonight - was going to do it earlier today and life has been nuts.
http://www.iftheshoedoesntfit.com
The Auction Site for Shoe Lovers!
Sell, Swap, or Shop for Shoes

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »

Actually, we were both wrong - women and men.  I realized it this morning when I put my first item up (which took less than three minutes, BTW) and was given the women or men option.

There's a tab that says Men just to the right of Women on the main market page, I see now  :-[

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »
Had my first sale at smashion yesterday - $30 plus shipping for an item I paid $3 for and NO FEES!  :D! :D! :D!

I've only got a handful of things up there, and I should have lots more because it's just so darn quick and easy and FREE  :laugh:

gypsumoon

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 08:20:59 AM »
Thought I'd mention that this is still working well for me.

Still no fees, and listings only take a couple of minutes - literally - I'm cutting & pasting from listings I'm putting up on etsy and/or ebay anyway, so it's a piece of cake. 

Came home last night to an e-mail letting me know that a skirt had sold for $20 (paid $1, yay!) and that reminded me that I wanted to bump this thread.

www.smashion.com

Women's and men's clothing, accessories, toiletries - so a good back-up place to list make-up, maybe, for those of you who sell mineral makeup?

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »

www.smashion.com

toiletries - so a good back-up place to list make-up,
Thank you for the update and especially for the information that they sell make-up. Found a deal on Clinique.

When you search the site, you can choose forum, listings or all...when you search all their forums post really, REALLY good deals either online or brick and mortar.

My daughter loves Sephora make-up and I found some posted sales for in store deals.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf