Author Topic: Let's Get Moving! (Exercise & Weight Loss Support Here!)  (Read 84030 times)

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Moving! (Exercise & Weight Loss Support Here!)
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2007, 05:58:01 PM »
I hope that others will continue to be encouraged by this thread that Serendipity began, and that they can also try and increase their own fitness if they choose to participate. Deborah

I do to!

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2007, 06:01:44 PM »
A day without doing something is like being dead.

Dead people don't walk, except in the movies. However they do lose a lot of weight.

Ashes don't weigh very much.

At 397 or anything over a 100 lbs overweight is like death around every corner!

You don't go to the gym at 397 lbs. you go to the doctor.

::) ::) ::)

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
    • Garrett Metal Detectors
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »
On the serious side; since this thread started I have lost 5 lbs., but hey I don't want to brag about it yet because this family might order pizza tonight and that will be difficult to leave alone.

Get to traveling up here, and I'll show you some good pizza that's good for you.

How does basil, pesto and artychoke hearts sound?  

Deb can vouch for it.
Check out the Bigg Elf's Toy Stash -- http://toystash.ecrater.com

And our Garrett metal detectors -- http://metaldetectors.ecrater.com

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
    • EOTRG which means End Of The Rainbow Gifts!
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2007, 06:11:32 PM »
Yes, that pizza was great, we loved it, but the name of it was not so appetizing, was it!? IIRC, it was named something like Soylent Green :0771 :? Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington
http://stores.ebay.com/End-of-the-Rainbow-Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/shops/eotrg

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2007, 07:11:05 PM »

That pizza does not sound very appetizing.

I do love artichokes, but I don't think I would like them on a pizza.

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2007, 07:58:06 PM »
Deborah your post was VERY encouraging :heartB

I want to get in shape because I know if I don't do something while I'm still young enough I'll end up being one of those 300 pound people who can't move and is very sick.

My kids need me and I need to be able to take care of them for a very long time.

My weight even it its only 30-40 pounds right now is affecting my life.  My clothing does not fit and I'm embarrassed to go places like the beach and other people's pools.  This isn't fair to my kids they should be at the beach with our friends having fun.

sharkypete

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • International Know It All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
you can come swim in my pool but you have to wear a bikini. I won't even bug you that much

see

that's you >>>>> :watershark <<<<<< and that's me  :0771
I Am The Man From Nantucket.

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2007, 08:16:32 PM »
Deborah your post was VERY encouraging :heartB

I want to get in shape because I know if I don't do something while I'm still young enough I'll end up being one of those 300 pound people who can't move and is very sick.

My kids need me and I need to be able to take care of them for a very long time.

My weight even it its only 30-40 pounds right now is affecting my life.  My clothing does not fit and I'm embarrassed to go places like the beach and other people's pools.  This isn't fair to my kids they should be at the beach with our friends having fun.

Thank you, Danielle  :love005! No matter what your goal is, you can do it, and so can I. :cl
 In the future, we can look back at this June as the time that we began our new lifestyle, and then we can look forward to enjoying our fitness!  :0191 Deborah
"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances." ~ Martha Washington

signsintime

• Advanced Seller
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Starry Night Web Design
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2007, 09:14:40 PM »
I just want to say how impressed I am with everyone's commitment to their own personal goals. Deb, you are especially inspiring!

I would love to exercise -- not to lose weight, but just to get fit and keep from losing any muscle mass due to inactivity.

My own personal goal is to walk once around my yard (3/4 acre) per day. That might not sound like much, but right now it's like climbing Everest to me. From the knees down my legs are rock hard (due to spasticity) and ache and burn constantly. I totter on my cane and hobble wherever I go.

Just to make it once around the yard is all I'm hoping to do. Then I'll flop down in the lawn chair and work at catching my breath.  :P

Right now, from the front door to the mailbox is about the best I can do. Everyone has their goals -- let's reach them together.  :up
www.starrynightwebdesign.com ~ Highwire and Themes & Services • Custom Web Design

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2007, 09:20:37 PM »
I'll end up being one of those 300 pound people who can't move and is very sick.

Lots of 300 lb. people can move. Check out those football players.

When I was 300 lbs. I could move.

The problem is at least for me is getting rid of the pneumonia, You don't have to be overweight to get pneumonia. You just get it.

300 lbs. does not necessarily make you overweight. It may be lots of water for which one needs a doctor's advice about.

Before starting an exercise program you should see a doctor and get hi/her advice; also get your thyroid checked.

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2007, 09:30:05 PM »
From the knees down my legs are rock hard (due to spasticity) and ache and burn constantly. I totter on my cane and hobble wherever I go.

Just to make it once around the yard is all I'm hoping to do. Then I'll flop down in the lawn chair and work at catching my breath.  :P

Right now, from the front door to the mailbox is about the best I can do. Everyone has their goals -- let's reach them together.  :up

My goodness. I am so sorry to read that you suffer from spasticity.

Here is a site that you might like to participate in:

http://www.wemove.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=12;hardset=0;start_point=0;DaysPrune=0

Now as far as the burning is concerned my doctor told me to use eucerin it is about $15.00 a jar but well worth it. I like to use alternative medical procedures and rather than take a pill I always look for something to use other than a pill.

I rub eucerin every day on my legs and feet and it helps tremendously. If you have never tried it, give it a try.

It takes the burning away almost immediately.

I will also be praying for you,

Please let me know how it works.

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2007, 09:38:47 PM »
Wow, Leo, I had no idea you were dealing with such serious problems. I'm glad you are able to laugh about it.

I know a few people who had bariatric surgery and have lost so much weight. They can exercise much more easily now and so are overall much healthier. The surgery forces you to really limit portions and what foods you eat. Sometimes I wonder if fewer people would need the surgery if they got sick from those foods and portions without the surgery, but it's hard to have that kind of commitment to eating healthy without consequences. 100 lb overweight is a lot, but it's not impossible to get to a healthier weight without drastic surgery.

I've heard many times that the key to overcoming exercise obstacles is to do it gradually. If you can take 5 steps today, try to take 6 tomorrow. Before you know it you will be walking further than you ever thought you could. Short distances like Jeri is walking ARE an accomplishment and improve your health when that is a significant distance for you. For the rest of us, small things like parking a little further away from a store or taking the stairs instead of an elevator add up to make a difference.

That said, I'm not doing so well with getting more active. Seeing this thread everyday reminds me I need to be better! My excuse is that the baby sucks so much energy out of me, and I'm still getting back to normal after getting so out of shape with the health problems my pregnancy gave me. I'm still tired with walking distances that were nothing, but i'm getting less and less tired and getting closer to where I was a year ago.

Today I worked, doing sales and demos in a large store, and did a lot of walking in the process. Add a lap around Target to get a few things afterward, and I was tired. That's not the kind of exercise I want to get, but it's not sitting around all day so that is good. I work again tomorrow too. I'm not happy with this level of activity, but I'm content, I guess, because I'm doing a little bit.

I've been trying to drink mostly water, and I think it's helped me lose a couple of pounds. It's amazing how many calories I can consume from beverages. Drinking mostly water is healthier for me and helps with weight loss.

wahm922

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Twitter
    • Google+
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Ta Ta Coolerz
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2007, 09:39:57 PM »
Leo I didn't mean anything by the 300 pound remark, it was just a number I pulled out of my head - ya know I love ya :l0085

For me at 30-40 pounds over and out of shape I can feel it and I can't imagine being any bigger then this.  I've sat in front of this computer for to many years.  I tried running with the kids and I can't do it I get so out of breath.  This is not how I want to be so I have to change it now!

serendipity

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Violet Bee Boutique (handmade creations)
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »
I know exactly where Danielle is coming from. Gaining just a few pounds a year really adds up over one's lifetime! I want to be as healthy as I can before it becomes a huge obstacle to lose a greater amount of weight.

For me much of my current problem is weight, but really I want to be healthier. We all have different builds... for instance my husband is a big guy and will always be a big guy no matter what. He has a very broad frame. I guess he's built like a football player. He's in MUCH better cardiovascular shape than I am, even though he'd probably be considered more overweight.

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2007, 10:12:20 PM »

A couple of years ago I played basketball with the kids, even hit a few tennis balls back and forth, threw the baseball back and forth. Now I have to have them carry stuff up the stairs for me.

No laughing matter.

When this thread started I could barely walk up and down the hallway once. Today was a good day. As I was telling BiggFredd on the phone, I almost felt healthy again.

Even now I still have some energy left, that has not been the case this late in the day lately.

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2007, 04:29:36 AM »

I mean't to post this earlier.

Laughter for losing weight is good.

Check out this article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40731-2005Apr9.html

It also takes a lot of discipline to laugh. It just doesn't happen easily in these stressful times and especially for those who are overweight.

chezleo

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2007, 04:41:18 AM »

Does anybody use ALLI?

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2007, 05:01:07 AM »
oops?

eotrg

• Global Moderator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Deborah
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2007, 05:51:02 AM »

Does anybody use ALLI?

No, I don't use anything like that. I just read this:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003751119_dietdrug17.html

Taking an over the counter weight loss drug doesn't sound all that safe to me. Apparently, lots of others are very anxious to begin using it, despite the side effects that it can cause, but it's not for me! Deborah

biggfredd

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Love this chatroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2007, 05:56:57 AM »
Let's Get Moving!

I got a gooder idee.  Let's go back to bed.  It's the crack of dawn, for crying out loud.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf