Author Topic: Amazon Granted Patent to Stop In-Store Price Checking  (Read 917 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Amazon Granted Patent to Stop In-Store Price Checking
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:04:26 PM »
Amazon granted a patent that prevents in-store shoppers from online price checking
Amazon’s long been a go-to for people to online price compare while shopping at brick-and-mortars. Now, a new patent granted to the company could prevent people from doing just that inside Amazon’s own stores.

The patent, titled “Physical Store Online Shopping Control,” details a mechanism where a retailer can intercept network requests like URLs and search terms that happen on its in-store Wi-Fi, then act upon them in various ways.

The document details in great length how a retailer like Amazon would use this information to its benefit. If, for example, the retailer sees you’re trying to access a competitor’s website to price check an item, it could compare the requested content to what’s offered in-store and then send price comparison information or a coupon to your browser instead. Or it could suggest a complementary item, or even block content outright.
. . .
(continue reading at https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/15/15812986/amazon-patent-online-price-checking )

Seems to me that it's not so much about preventing people from price comparing inside an Amazon owned shop (though it does have that aspect to it, which is a huge benefit for Amazon), but more so about preventing other businesses from implementing the same sort of tech in their own shops.

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
Re: Amazon Granted Patent to Stop In-Store Price Checking
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
But how much in-store price checking is done on the store's Wi-Fi?
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »
Good point, Scoot.

I am notoriously bad for scanning an item in store and seeing where I can get the item for the best all around price for purchase.
If it's a large item, free shipping included.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:52:42 PM »
Seems to me that it's not so much about preventing people from price comparing inside an Amazon owned shop (though it does have that aspect to it, which is a huge benefit for Amazon), but more so about preventing other businesses from implementing the same sort of tech in their own shops.

I think that is the key right there.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »
Thumbs up!