Author Topic: Alexa app wont load  (Read 2781 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Alexa app wont load
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
Are you experiencing problems getting the Amazon Alexa app to load?  Does the circle just keep spinning around and around?  Are you just getting a blank screen?  If the app just sits there with the loading icon spinning, it's a cookie problem.  The same is true if you can't get the alexa webpage http://alexa.amazon.com to load.

If you're experiencing this on the Alexa app, open the Amazon shopping app and logout.  If that doesn't fix it, open your other Amazon apps (Amazon Kindle app, Amazon music app, etc) and logout of those. 

If you're experiencing this on the website http://alexa.amazon.com, open the main Amazon webpage at http://www.amazon.com, hover your mouse over your name on the right hand side, wait for the menu to appear, and click the bottom line that says "Not <your name>? Sign out".  Once that's done, try again to get http://alexa.amazon.com to load.

This cookie bug appears to be very pervasive, so if you use the app or the webpage frequently, you'll find yourself needing to pretty much always stay logged out of the main Amazon website and app.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Alexa app wont load
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 04:56:03 PM »
Thanks for the helpful hints.
Lots of posts on reddit regarding Amazon (along with Amazon products) just not working, or working but kinda, or sporadically working.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 11:43:28 PM »
Alexa scares me. I have nightmares about "it" growing legs and attacking me while I'm asleep.  Ok, not really. But it is freaky that it constantly records what is being said (so I've been told) as long as it is on.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »
AND I have to go in and delete the recordings.
Which is something I don't think about doing.
<smile>

The only recordings I've seen are the ones where I say "Alexa"
I can guarandamntee you that if there was a burglary going on, I'd holler out for Alexa to record.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 01:11:56 PM »
It supposedly doesn't actually record until it hears the trigger word (alexa, unless you set it up to respond to amazon, computer, or echo), and then records what's said immediately after.

From what I've observed, that is the case.  I haven't seen any network activity from it until the wake word has been said. 

However, it can be used to eavesdrop by someone with the correct tools (by NSA, hackers, etc).  But, so can your phone, your tablet, your laptop, your tv, and many other devices around you.  Not to mention the old fashioned ways of eavesdropping. Cell phones are probably the worst, since they can provide so much --  phone convos, messaging transcripts, email logs, recordings of everything said in vicinity of phone, logs of everywhere you went, logs of everything you looked at online, etc.

Anyway, I figure there's lots more interesting folks out there than me for them to listen in on ;) 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:35:24 PM by WayOutWest »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
It supposedly doesn't actually record until it hears the trigger word (alexa, unless you set it up to respond to amazon, computer, or echo), and then records what's said immediately after.

From what I've observed, that is the case.  I haven't seen any network activity from it until the wake word has been said. 

Anyway, I figure there's lots more interesting folks out there than me for them to listen in on ;)

Yep, addressing ours as Alexa wakes it up.
We always get tickled when there's an ad from Amazon and it says Alexa...She wakes right up and will follow the directions that they are offering on the ad.
Or a show that has an Alexa character.

I hear ya and agree on the cellphones, tvs and other items recording...I have them all disabled on EVERYTHING!
I even have tape over the camera on our laptops...nope, nobody seeing me.
I'm boring and can't imagine anyone putting me on the top of any monitoring list.
<smile>

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »

However, it can be used to eavesdrop by someone with the correct tools (by NSA, hackers, etc).  But, so can your phone, your tablet, your laptop, your tv, and many other devices around you.  Not to mention the old fashioned ways of eavesdropping. Cell phones are probably the worst, since they can provide so much --  phone convos, messaging transcripts, email logs, recordings of everything said in vicinity of phone, logs of everywhere you went, logs of everything you looked at online, etc.

Which is why, when I do retire, I'm going to live in the middle of a national forest somewhere with no phone, no electricity, no internet and live off the grid. Just call me Uncle Leroy, the Mountain Man!

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 09:26:15 PM »
Which is why, when I do retire, I'm going to live in the middle of a national forest somewhere with no phone, no electricity, no internet and live off the grid. Just call me Uncle Leroy, the Mountain Man!

You sound like my second son.
I do wonder if he could do it...seriously, the kid loves his Playstation, XBox, electronics and more.
Nor do they having working kitchens out there...he's a classically trained chef.
T'would love to see it though.

Me on the other hand?
Nope.
<smile>
Too foo-foo and prissy.

I do like vacationing in decked out homes/cabins in the mountains with the ammenties such as...
Beds with 800 thread count minimum, heating and air conditioning, fluffy towels and no bugs or critters.
<smile>

It is peaceful and nothing like rocking on the front porch watching the sun rise as I'm drinking my morning cup o' joe.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 10:06:19 PM »
I'm too much of an internet addict *sigh*

• Administrator