Author Topic: Amazon Prime for only $6 a month, if you're on gov assistance  (Read 2849 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Just saw this on Clark Howard's website.  If you're on govt assistance, you can get Prime for $6 a month instead of the $99/yr price.  http://clark.com/shopping-retail/amazon-prime-ebt-discount/

Those with a valid Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card are eligible. An EBT card is used to disburse funds for these government assistance programs:

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
    Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
    Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition Program (WIC)

According to the article, Amazon hopes this will attract people who primarily shop at WalMart and other discount stores.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Prime for only $6 a month, if you're on gov assistance
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:13:59 PM »
I had read this back in January.
I was wondering when it would be implemented.
I hadn't even had time to check Clark today...normally I do that early in the AM.
Time today has not been my friend.

Saw the announcement today via Twitter.
It is 100% going up against Wal-Mart in my opinion.

I will tell you this much that my daughter is disabled and on disability.
She has a diet that is recommended by her doctor that focuses on controlling the effects of her disability.
That diet is expensive.
No processed food, no sugar, no preservatives, fresh fruits and vegetables (not canned), low sodium, etc.
Healthy...extremely healthy...crazy healthy!
On her budget, healthy eating is something that would be impossible for her.

For those that are disabled and on limited budget and attempting or needing to eat healthy... I can't imagine many even being able to make it a week on EBT eating healthy, much less a month.

For my daughter, finding that she could purchase in bulk online for their monthly food budgets...this is a boon!
Amazon Pantry prices aren't that out of line.
She buys her physician ordered supplements, vitamins and medically required items via Amazon.

We're lucky we have a Prime account and she is on this prime account.
We don't ask her to help her pay anything towards our Prime account.
We are blessed to have her and have the ability to help her.
Not everyone has that ability.

I don't begrudge those on limited budgets having a lesser price than I pay for Amazon Prime.
And if it meant I had to pay more to help more to have access to what they need...<shrug>
We're all in this together and I don't have an iota of a problem.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
I just wonder how effective it will be in attracting the walmart customer.  The monthly rate does make it seem cheap, but when you consider it's $72 over 12 months, it's not that cheap, especially for someone on assistance.  After all, it used to be $79 a yr. . .

Of course, having it listed at the monthly rate does help with the sales. If netflix advertised their plan at the per yr rate, they'd probably have fewer customers. Same reason places can rent washer and dryers, sofas, etc. for crazy prices; they tell you the weekly rate and make it look cheap.  Case in point, I used to know a person that was paying more per month for his washing machine (from one of those rental places) than I paid for a used one that was advertised in the local classifieds.  So, maybe it'll work.  :? I'm sure they spent quite a bit of time researching the optimal price point.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
I hear ya...
I was in another city and drove by a place that rent to own rims.
Rims for your car.
I cocked my head and totally had a visual of someone in the dead of night removing those from a car.
I can't imagine the repo process on getting those rims off a car without a power whatever it takes to remove them.
That would be some hard work!

Hoping it works for those who might benefit from the Amazon program and might buy one of my products.
<smile>

You know they spent gazunga's of moolah researching this.
Some of Amazon's ideas they've implemented I thought were out there but proved me wrong a few years out.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 05:40:01 AM »
Rent to own rims?   Wow. Just wow.  smh.  Next you'll tell me you saw some rent to own teeth grillz. Lol

Amazon's ideas - I hear ya.  Heck, when they first started I questioned the whole business model. Would there really be enough people buying books from an online seller (Vs. a B&M one) to support the kind of expenses they were generating with all that warehouse building they were doing and the huge number of employees they were hiring?  After all, whenever I was in a bookstore, whether it be in Tulsa or a city like Houston, I was usually the only customer in sight.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
Same here regarding that new fangled site that's selling books...online!
<smile>

Heck, it took me what seems like forever to change from fulfilled by merchant to fulfilled by Amazon.
Whadda crazy concept I thought...handing the storage, shipment and customer service of my items over to Amazon.

And here I am years later.

ANNNNNDDDDD...Amazon opening book store brick and mortar stores to go alongside their online.

Kuhhhhhrazy!
<smile>

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 07:18:07 PM »
Our wonderful tax dollars going to Amazon. Go figure.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 12:08:10 PM »

My take...no beef whatsoever with my tax dollars used this way.
There are always 2 sides to every situation.

My 27 year old daughter is on disability and she needs food and is on a specific doctor ordered diet to control the effects of her myriad of auto-immune diseases.

If she can have items delivered to her as opposed to a day when she can't physically get of the house (plus she can't drive due to her disabilities..joints locked, muscles non responsive, brain fog to name a few), then I have no beef with my tax dollars helping her or others to have the ability to deliver the items to them.

She had 3 days out of this week (starting Monday) that she was unable to get out of bed without assistance (her legs felt like boulders were on them and when she was able to get out she felt as if she were carrying heavy weights on them) to go to the bathroom and immediately got back in the bed...trust me if a delivery to the door helps, then I'm willing to pay for it.

Not just food but there are items that aren't covered by her disability (supplements, body compression items, braces etc) and she can order those to be delivered to the door.

My father is not just labeled disabled he has the designation of catastrophic disabled, (double amputee with kidneys that only function at 30% and a bad heart) plus he lives on an island off the coast of FL. (my brother is a pastor on this small island and is a help but is often tied up with being the only pastor on this island)

I can't tell you how many times, I've used my Prime to send him items he needs or requires.
As in my daughters case her disability doesn't cover the supplements or some of the items he needs for day to day living...
I use my Prime to send him items and don't mind doing it in the least but was thinking of asking my brother to look into this for our father.

My daughter and my father are blessed.
They have those willing to help them and are surrounded by those that are willing to help.

Alot don't have this option.
For that I'm just 100% fine with my tax dollars going to help them via Amazon.

Sometimes it helps to see the other side of the coin.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
Speaking of such things - my state struck a deal with Amazon for Amazon to collect sales tax even though Amazon has no physical presence here. Well, guess what?  The details of the deal are being kept secret. You know what that means, that the state is letting them keep an undisclosed % of the sales tax monies. Irks me for two reasons, one the fact they're letting Amazon keep the tax money and secondly because they're keeping it a secret. 

More recently it was announced that Amazon is going to open a warehouse in my state, which means that the state is giving them an even bigger chunk than they might have given. Like many states, my state is known for giving monies (grants, tax credits, property tax waivers, etc) to big companies to entice them to open up a facility here. 

In the case of Amazon collecting sales tax, the state is taking the stance of not being able to publicly discuss specific information about an individual taxpayer.  That's not at all what that law was intended to protect.  And, Amazon isn't a taxpayer, they're a tax collector in this instance.  The retail customers are the tax payers and discussing the Amazon deal would be discussing information on a collective rather than an individual.

Idaho did the same thing, claiming they can't discuss an individual taxpayer.  Utah has done similarly, but did disclose that Amazon is getting to keep 1.31% of the sales tax revenue, the same deal they give other large retailers, but there are other details that Utah is refusing to disclose, saying that doing so would expose Amazon to competitive injury.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
FL reporting in...
We have several warehouses in FL.
One in my own city, Lakeland FL which is large items...television, kayaks, etc. 

Along with Amazon, soon to tax us Netflix, Hulu and cloudservices on various sites.

Jet (which has been purchased by Wal-Mart) taxes in 25 states and that count is climbing.

I weigh my options and search the item online to see what my options are.
Sometimes the convenience of having a larger less expensive item delivered in 2 Days is worth the out of pocket extra $$ and sometimes if it's something I don't need immediately and it's not price prohibitive when I search the web comparing prices...I just buy it.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 11:41:23 PM »
I meant no ill-will against those that have a real disability or situation that is comparable.  Other side of the coin is noted.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
I knew you didn't.
If I came across as pushing you...that wasn't meant either.
I'm extremely passionate about issues such as this and I know more from my side of the coin that those who have never experienced it.
I wish I didn't have experience in the above issues, but I do see it as a plus when helping others to view the other side of the coin.
I like a good back and forth especially when I gain another's insight.
We're all good!
<smile>

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
Thank you for not being too pushy. You're right, I do see it from another perspective. Again, no ill-will was meant and I'm glad your daughter will benefit from this. Prayers and thoughts go out to her (and you).

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »
Good thoughts, strength and peace are always accepted.
Prayers, too!
<hugs>

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf