Author Topic: Amazon Buys Whole Foods  (Read 1620 times)

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Amazon Buys Whole Foods
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
Amazon (AMZN) is buying Whole Foods (WFM) for $13.7 billion, the companies announced on Friday.

In a statement Friday morning, the online retailer said it would buy the high-end grocer for $42 per share, more than the $33.06 per share Whole Foods closed at on Thursday.

The deal is Amazon’s biggest deal ever, topping the $1.2 billion the company paid for online footwear retailer Zappos in 2009.

After the announcement, Whole Foods shares were up 27% to trade at $41.99 per share. Amazon shares were up 3.4% in early trade on Friday to trade at around $996 per share.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos said, “Millions of people love Whole Foods Market because they offer the best natural and organic foods, and they make it fun to eat healthy.

“Whole Foods Market has been satisfying, delighting and nourishing customers for nearly four decades — they’re doing an amazing job and we want that to continue.”

John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods, will remain CEO of the company and its headquarters will remain in Austin, Texas. The companies expect the deal to close in the second half of this year.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Buys Whole Foods
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »
I saw this earlier today on Twitter:
Bezos: Alexa  buy me some Whole Foods
Alexa: Bought Whole Foods
Bezos: Whaaaaa...ok.

<smile>

The Best Tweets About Whole Foods’ Mega Merger With Amazon

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
Ha. That was good!

I can't figure out what the DOJ and regulators will eventually conclude, but there is already a lot of voiced concern over the result of the acquisition should it go through. Can't say I'm happy about the acquisition as it will probably lead to a lot of job losses within the grocery industry. They're already looking to cut unprofitable stores. Would hate to see more stores than necessary close if Bezos gets Whole Foods.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
I was going thru my cached history to find a particular article and I can't find it...dangitall!

What I read in the one article is that Amazon proposes to use the fresh delivery with their within an hour delivery market.
The delivery within an hour market would be helpful for 'pushing' the newish market for the Amazon Wand.

If this is the way it is to be used, then I can only hope that jobs aren't lost.
Stores might be rebranded with Amazon name but employees would stay.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:02:46 AM »
Speaking of Amazon in the food business....

I made my first Prime Pantry order. Purchased the qualifying number of items for free shipping and still had room in the box. So, I threw in a couple 12-packs of soda. Yes... soda! As in the 12-pack of cans.

I should be home by the time UPS gets to our house on its scheduled delivery day on Tuesday. I'm gonna have to see this dude actually deliver this package.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »
More interesting takes on the aquisition:
The Economist: Buying the upscale grocer is a new front in the battle with the beast of Bentonville

Forbes: Amazon Purchase, It's not what you think

Walmart is not considering a fight with Amazon for Whole Foods

Amazon may find rival bidders for Whole Foods
(Publix is mentioned in this article)

There might be another bidder that will shake this whole buy.

As a family that comes from the Grocer Business...We are staying on top of this!

@UncleRoy
Yep...lots and lots of items on Prime and Prime Pantry that are ready for purchase.
As a seller that used to handle quite a bit of food products...Amazon is a a go-to market.
HA!
Delivery of the item...I've had the delivery person use a dolly to bring me my package(s) more times than I can count.
ENJOY and report back!

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
Now they'll really live up to their nickname, Whole Paycheck.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 11:08:15 PM »
^ ha!  Aint that the truth

I can't help but think next thing is that Amazon will be buying one of the big chain liquor stores such as Total Wine & More or Spec's.  Speaking of - I was floored when went into a Total Wine & More in New Mexico. We don't have any stores in my state that truly compare.  There's one shop in Tulsa that is close, but. . . 

The reasons? There's a few of them.

For starters, my state doesn't allow liquor stores to be owned by out of state businesses (must be a resident of the state for at least 10 yrs) and you can only own two locations.  Somehow Costco worked around that and opened a liquor store in Tulsa, but. . .   Our limits do well to protect local mom and pop shops, but it also results in stores that are small and that don't have a big selection, since most mom & pop shops don't have the funding for a huge store nor for the inventory.

That's not the only reason, though, it's also because of the distributors in my state.  There are only 6 companies that are allowed to sell wholesale, and they mostly carry the cheap brands at inflated prices or they carry a very limited selection of products.

And, of course, liquor retailers aren't currently allowed to ship liquor into the state, though that's about to change, but will still be heavily restricted with them having to buy expensive permits every year before they can ship into the state and from my understanding will only allow the shipping of wine.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:59:31 PM by WayOutWest »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »
I'm a huuuuuge fan of Total Wine.
Love breezing thru the store.
Such fun!

Whole Paycheck?
Ain't that the truth.
If you've been in one, you'll understand.
I'm sure you've all seen this: https://www.eater.com/2015/8/3/9090797/whole-foods-asparagus-water-wtf

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 05:04:50 PM »
Got my Pantry order. The UPS guy didn't even have to use a hand truck. He carried the box up the 3 steps and placed it on the porch. Everything was packed nice and neat in the box. Nothing small was damaged. Not a bad first impression for me.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »
Glad to hear that your first order went so smoothly.
Amazon should contact you.
Always good to hear of a positive experience with Amazon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf