Author Topic: Walmart trimming price matching, while Target expands price matching  (Read 1105 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Since retail arbitrage is, to some degree or another, a part of the business plan of most online vendors such as ourselves, I though everyone here might find this of interest. 

Walmart has eliminated price matching in 500 of their stores, but won't say which stores -- you have to physically go to the store to find out.  Meanwhile, Target has increased the number of .com sites that it will price match at their brick and mortar locations.

Although Walmart has discontinued price matching at 500 of their stores, they will still price match walmart.com at those stores (something that walmart used to not price match).  In addition, they have their Price Catcher program, which will rebate you the difference, should a local competitor be offering the same item at a lower price. However, Price Catcher only has the advertised prices from the larger shops.  It won't know about the sale flyer from, say, the local family run grocery store down the street. 

Meanwhile, Target is moving in the opposite direction, expanding their price matching program to include a total of 29 retailers (both their website and their B&Ms, if they have physical stores).  That being said, some of the retailers that Target has added carries primarily their own branded goods, which Target won't have, or heavily stocks product variants that are specific to their store.  The list of retailers that Target has added to their price matching program, regardless of whether or not they have a local B&M:
   Amazon
   Babies ‘R’ Us
   Bed Bath & Beyond
   Best Buy
   Barnes & Noble
   Buy Buy Baby
   Costco
   CVS
   Diapers.com
   Dick’s Sporting Goods
   Drugstore.com
   GameStop
   JCPenney
   Kmart
   Kohl’s
   Macy’s
   Newegg
   Office Depot
   Petco
   Petsmart
   Sam’s Club
   Sears
   Sports Authority
   Staples
   Toys ‘R’ Us
   Ulta
   Walgreens
   Walmart
   Wayfair

For more information on Walmart's policy change:
https://consumerist.com/2016/05/25/walmart-ending-price-matching-of-local-competitors-ads-at-500-stores-wont-say-which-500/
For more information on Target's policy change:
https://consumerist.com/2015/09/30/target-will-price-match-29-competitors-websites/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:12:51 AM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
Re: Walmart trimming price matching, while Target expands price matching
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:32:14 AM »
That falls into my category of 'Good Things To Know' that saves me $$$.
Target?
I'm a fixture at the local...Hi Donna, How are you today?
<smile>
And there's not a Target within a 50 mile radius I've not visited and spent money.
Love them!

Thanks for the list, it's saved to my phone notes.

I've kinda-sort-almost cut out W-Marts (cept when doing arbitrage).
Wonder if it has anything to do with going head to head with Amazon online with their shipping/one cost Prime-type account?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf