Author Topic: People that use the term Gold, when it's not really gold  (Read 6425 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
People that use the term Gold, when it's not really gold
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:28:16 AM »
As most of ya have seen me write about, it's a violation of U.S. FTC regulations to refer to something as gold, when it's not solid gold of at least 10K.  We see it all the time, though, on eBay, Amazon, and other sites where people market jewelry, watches, belt buckles, etc. as gold, when it's actually only gold-tone or gold-plated. 

I gotta say, it's pretty bad when CHINA gets it right (even though it's a U.S. regulation), meanwhile tons of sellers in the U.S. routinely get it wrong
http://www.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_270437.html

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:35:02 AM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: People that use the term Gold, when it's not really gold
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »
What is the solution for Amazon to reel in those that are misrepresenting the product?
The testing to be approved as a seller in Jewelry is rigorous or it used to be...is it still?
I realize that eBay doesn't have the same control over their sellers as Amazon (sellers that FBA vs those that self-fulfill) but seriously is there anyway that this can be reigned in?

bobby131313

• Advanced Seller
  • Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • bobby131313
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Youtube
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Coin Community
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »
Flat out counterfeit gold bar and Amazon doesn't care...

http://www.amazon.com/Layered-Deutsche-Reichsbank-signature-Specialty/dp/B014V6EU0Y/

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »
What is the solution for Amazon to reel in those that are misrepresenting the product?
The testing to be approved as a seller in Jewelry is rigorous or it used to be...is it still?
I realize that eBay doesn't have the same control over their sellers as Amazon (sellers that FBA vs those that self-fulfill) but seriously is there anyway that this can be reigned in?
Amazon still has jewelry tested from time to time, but aside from that, as you can see from Bobby's link, they don't care about fake gold or even counterfeit currency :(

Kinda sad when China does a better job of not misrepresenting something.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:34:14 PM by WayOutWest »

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »
Here's a fake silver bar being sold on Amazon. According to the FTC, if you call it silver, it must be 92.5% pure silver, or better. http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Ounce-999fine-German-Silver/dp/B00KTR1HFQ  :(

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:01:57 AM »
I reported the silver bar to Amazon, using the report a problem with this listing, link and wrote a negative review.  I also reported that gold one (again) to Amazon and I wrote a scathing review using all of the keywords I could think of: counterfeit, fraudulent, illegal, scam. Guess what happened?  My review was rejected!

I got an email saying:
Thanks for submitting a customer review on Amazon. Your review could not be posted to the website in it's current forum. While we appreciate your time and comments, reviews must adhere to the following guidelines: http://www.amazon.com/review-guidelines

My review that was rejected:
Title: Fake, counterfeit, and fraudulent. Scam item.

As mentioned by others, this item is illegal to sell in the United States. It is fake gold, but is marked as being pure gold. That's a violation of federal law. In addition, it's made to look like gold bars that were minted by Reichsbank (the central bank of Germany from 1876 until 1945) complete with serial numbers. That makes this counterfeit as well as fraudulent.  To top it off, the seller(s) is trying to fool the customers by putting .999 Fine Pure Gold in the title, which is another violation of U.S. laws and regulations.

Shame on Amazon for allowing this to be sold. More so, shame on the seller(s) of this item for not only trying to rip off consumers, but also for putting this out in general circulation, where it can continue to be used to scam people.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 06:24:00 AM »
Since my review was rejected, I decided screw it and started a thread on AZ Seller Forums
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=303555

bobby131313

• Advanced Seller
  • Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • bobby131313
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Youtube
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Coin Community
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »
WoW, ever looked at the crap on AliExpress?

They pump literally tons of counterfeit silver and gold into this country every month. Not to mention counterfeit everything else... coins, handbags, watches, sunglasses... etc.

Anyone that uses Auctiva or Vendio for anything at all is supporting this. AliExpress owns both of them.

Sample: http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160524073421&SearchText=perth+mint+gold+bar
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:35:02 AM by bobby131313 »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 09:45:53 AM »
Stopped using Auctiva about 6 years ago and only used Vendio for a free trial and kicked it to the curb.

How is this affecting the coin sellers on eBay?
Anyone built their own coin selling site? Someone with credibility? <---I could be hinting

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf