Author Topic: Amazon Echo for $119 + Possible 6.3% Cash Back  (Read 2840 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Amazon Echo for $119 + Possible 6.3% Cash Back
« on: November 27, 2015, 11:32:09 PM »
- Go to Bed Bath & Beyond and sign up for their coupon (use the email you'll use at checkout)
- Become a member of befrugal.com (if you haven't already) and shop BBB through their link (this is for the possible cashback)
- Search for echo in the search box and add the Amazon Echo to your cart
- Start the checkout process and use the email you used for the coupon, checking out as guest (if you don't have an account)
- Apply the 20% off coupon that's for online only (the other 20% off coupon wont work with this)

If for some reason the working coupon isn't there, you'll have to go back and request the coupon using an alternate email address and use that address for checkout (checking out as guest)

Additional info regarding befrugal - when you register, go to your account settings and it'll then tell you that you have to create a password and will walk you through the steps to do so. Then go back to settings and input your details and configure your payout method.  After you do all of that, you'll be set to shop.  If you select Amazon gift card as payout method, you'll get even more cashback.

Note: The befrugal FAQ say that many sites will disallow the cashback if you use coupon codes. So the cashback may or may not work on this deal.

With the ability to control things like Insteon wall switches and outlets, and the ability to run IFTTT (ifttt.com) recipes, Amazon Echo is a truly remarkable device.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:17:09 PM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Echo for $119 + 6.3% Cash Back
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »
We've been looking at the echo for some time trying to figure out whether it's a smart purchase or just another one of our tech purchases to add to the pile.
<smile>

I'm already a BBB member and get scads of coupons in email, snail mail and heck I'm sure they'd hand deliver them to me if they could.
Just purchased another set of dishes the other day with all the discounts...ended up so inexpensive I couldn't NOT buy them!

This definitely moves the Echo to the I might move ahead and buy one category.

Thanks!

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Echo for $119 + Possible 6.3% Cash Back
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »
I really like my Echo (got in on the $99 deal when first came out).  You activate it by saying its name, Alexa, and then follow that with what you want. It can tie in to your google calendar; handle your to-do list; write up shopping lists that get put on your phone; play music from the Prime library, Tune-In radio, your music library on Amazon, and more; play podcasts; play audiobooks from Audible to you; and all sorts of other goodness. 

You can even create recipes on the IFTTT.com website to run various tasks and link your Echo to it.  For example, a basic one is to have it dial your phone when you say, "Alexa, trigger, find my phone" (all IFTTT commands to Alexa have to be preceded by the word, "trigger").  The Echo becomes even more of a Star-Trek style, house computer when you add devices like the Insteon wall switches (http://www.insteon.com/wall-switches). Then, Alexa can control the lights in your house, electric outlets, etc. Could even have Alexa turn on your Christmas lights instead of having to go outside and plug them in, crawl under the tree, etc.

Did I mention that I love Alexa?  :laugh

Admittedly, it's not as robust as Google Now, but the ability to link to home control devices makes it pretty awesome.  Before Alexa came into my life, I hadn't really thought about getting outlets and wall switches like those made by Insteon, but now they're towards the top of my wish list.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:14:24 PM by WayOutWest »

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »
Found in the befrugal FAQ that many sites will prevent the cashback if you use coupon codes. So, you may or may not be able to get it on this deal.  OP has been edited to reflect this.  Even without the cashback, it's still a great deal.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »

Admittedly, it's not as robust as Google Now, but the ability to link to home control devices makes it pretty awesome.  Before Alexa came into my life, I hadn't really thought about getting outlets and wall switches like those made by Insteon, but now they're towards the top of my wish list.

I have all Apple products cept my Kindle.
Still a go linking everything up?
I'm such a geekette that the outlets and wall switches are tailor made for how nerdy I am.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 10:50:20 PM »
I have all Apple products cept my Kindle.
Still a go linking everything up?
I'm such a geekette that the outlets and wall switches are tailor made for how nerdy I am.
It's currently google-centric and no Apple support to speak of, aside from an iphone app  :-(  Sorry :-(  You can see your to do list and shopping list on the app (which is how I view them on my 'droid) but you'd have to have google calendar act as an intermediary for your apple calendar and push out syncs to your apple calendar.  It also wont directly play music from your iTunes library.  You'd have to play it on your Apple device and push out the audio via bluetooth to Alexa (which, if you're going to do that you might as well just play it through regular bluetooth speakers)

If you want to browse what it can do - Alexa help page http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_bc_nav?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201399130

I hear ya about the switch and outlet control. I'm really drooling over the Insteon products.  It'd really be handy to have for this house. It's a fairly regular occurrence at night for me to have to go back through the dining, then kitchen and then laundry room in order to turn off the light in the mud room, for example.  A switch at the end of the hallway to turn that off would be so handy and being able to tell Alexa to do it even handier  :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:14:49 AM by WayOutWest »

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:06:46 AM »
Me = Super Jelly, Pea Green with Envy