Author Topic: Asbestos Found in Imported Crayons and Toy Fingerprint Kits  (Read 868 times)

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Asbestos Found in Imported Crayons and Toy Fingerprint Kits

Snopes article asbestos found in children's crayons

Asbestos is only dangerous when it’s deteriorated to the point where its tiny fibers can be released into the air and inhaled. If the material is solid (in appearance and to touch) and maintained in good condition, it presents no problem.

Needed to post this for ecommerce sellers, especially as we're going into our big time selling of school supplies.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Re: Asbestos Found in Imported Crayons and Toy Fingerprint Kits
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »
when you consider that kids chew crayons, I'd say that alone makes it dangerous.  And, in reading the article, the powder in the fingerprint kits is what has the asbestos. Since powder readily becomes airborne, that's extremely dangerous, imho.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:01:16 PM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Asbestos Found in Imported Crayons and Toy Fingerprint Kits
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 05:10:35 AM »
True.
I agree with your point 100%.
I do NOT want any child chewing on anything that will cause them harm.
Ever!

What I don't understand is that the report came out in 2000.
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/108033/crayons.pdf

The pdf is an interesting read.
Crayola notification:
All Crayola and Silly Putty products have been evaluated by an independent toxicologist and found to contain no known toxic substances in sufficient quantities to be harmful to the human body, even if ingested or inhaled. In addition, Crayola and Silly Putty art materials carry the Art and Creative Materials Institute's (ACMI) APPROVED PRODUCT (AP) seal, which indicates these products meet or exceed specific quality standards. If needed, your physician may contact the local poison control center for assistance in obtaining product ingredient information.

It is possible for an individual to have a sensitivity to a particular ingredient, just as one could have a sensitivity to a certain food. All Crayola formulas are compared against a list of common allergens to identify any possible sensitivities.
http://www.crayola.com/faq/safetymsds/are-crayola-and-silly-putty-products-nontoxic-even-if-ingested/

Also including a blog discussing this issue and alternatives for purchase, plus a statement from Crayola crayons and ingredients for their other products.
http://www.barefootandpaleo.com/2013/11/are-crayola-crayons-really-non-toxic.html

I would think that the market for non-toxic crayons should be one that warrants moving forward....right?
That way ecommerce sellers can rest easy that the items that they sell are healthy for our little ones.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:12:24 AM by Southern Jewel's Fab Finds »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf