Author Topic: Free upgrade to Windows 10  (Read 3117 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Free upgrade to Windows 10
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:30:43 PM »
If you have Windows 7 or 8, look in your systray (the little area in the bottom right corner, next to the clock). Click the Windows logo and you should have an offer to sign up for a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available. It is supposed to be released on July 29th

Article about windows 10 in PCWorld:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2931492/windows-10-upgrade-will-allow-clean-installs-on-the-same-device-for-free.html

The official Windows 10 page and fine print:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

*Windows Offer Details

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Our lawyers made us say this:

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page.

1 Apps sold separately; availability may vary.

2 Cortana available in select global markets at launch; experience may vary by region and device.

3 Features only available in supported games in Xbox Live-supported countries, see http://xbox.com/live/countries . Limited number of games available in 2015 support cross-device play; additional games to follow. Stream to one device at a time; Streaming with multiplayer from Xbox One requires home network connection and Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately); Gold also required for multiplayer play on Xbox One. DirectX 12 only available with supported games and graphics chips.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
Re: Free upgrade to Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »
Here's what's being deprecated in Win10 (from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications )

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.

Watching DVDs requires separate playback software

Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.

Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.

Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”

If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.

If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:56:43 AM »
I'd sure like the bugs to be worked out first.
I have 2 systems that are running 8.1.

I added classic shell so I could have the windows 7 experience that I was used to having.
Me = Old Dawg

Supposedly all that I've read re: windows 10 combines both the experience of 7 and 8...

Gonna have to read up more on this before moving towards the free download.

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »
I hate WIN8 myself.  Cannot get used to it to save my life and I have it on a tablet as well and of course I don't use that tablet because of it, so I'm REALLY old dawg I guess.  Why did they skip Window9 comes to mind though?  I'm going to snoop around and see if there's a video or something showing the 10 experience, but I'm never sold on new windows operating systems.  I install and the trouble begins LOL

bobby131313

• Advanced Seller
  • Excellent Encourager
  • Offline Offline
    • bobby131313
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Youtube
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Coin Community
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »
I was seriously thing about refreshing my Windows anyway so I'll do this.

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 07:25:33 PM »
I was seriously thing about refreshing my Windows anyway so I'll do this.

Yay!
I've got the reminder set up for the free download.

Quote from: toobusyforswapmeets=link=topic=20143.msg157415#msg157415 date=1433448108
I hate WIN8 myself.  Cannot get used to it to save my life and I have it on a tablet

Hubbie has it on a laptop BUT the laptop is touch enabled making it perfect for sitting in a chair/bed without a mouse or using the touchpad.
I'm not crazy about it and installed the classic menu shell...so we have the best of both worlds.
He uses the Windows 8 desktop and I use the classic menu shell. (rereading this sure makes us sound geeky <proud smile>)

Wanna sell the tablet?
My second son is looking around at tablets...he might want it.
No sense in it sitting around.

Here's a screen shot of Windows 10 and how it will work great for both hubby and I on the laptop.
Best of both worlds.

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Positive Promoter
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 08:01:43 PM »
I love my Windows 8.1.  Especially since my new work laptop has a touch screen.  Just like using a smartphone, almost.  Only thing that sucks is having to constantly clean my finger prints off the screen.

Considering all of those changes with Windows 10, I've thought about just holding off since I like this version much better.  I can't fathom doing work and risk losing it because I'm forced to do updates at Microsoft's whim.  Not to mention when I log on, I want to work immediately, not have to wait for updates to be installed and sometimes my computer has to reboot again.  I don't have this problem with what I have now.

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 11:05:17 PM »
It's an asus transformer with Win8.1 Donna.  I fired it up because I was so excited when I got it, and me and Windows on a tablet just didn't make a connection.  Haven't used it since, although it's ready to use anytime I feel like giving it another whirl.  Right now time is of the essence for me, it's show season for the cars and I'm day off of a 34 hour day.  I have alot of 24 hour days, 34 was a new record for me at my age.  I sat down about 7 in the evening, woke up at 1 with my mouth hanging open and a stiff neck, went to bed, got up at 5 and started again  LOL  Who knew I went to sleep?  I certainly didn't  LOL

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 08:04:31 AM »
I love my Windows 8.1.  Especially since my new work laptop has a touch screen.  Just like using a smartphone, almost.  Only thing that sucks is having to constantly clean my finger prints off the screen.

Sounds like we have the same laptop.
I agree that the experience is so very close to a smartphone.
And yep, fingerprints!
<smile>

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 08:08:17 AM »
Right now time is of the essence for me, it's show season for the cars and I'm day off of a 34 hour day.  I have alot of 24 hour days, 34 was a new record for me at my age.  I sat down about 7 in the evening, woke up at 1 with my mouth hanging open and a stiff neck, went to bed, got up at 5 and started again  LOL  Who knew I went to sleep?  I certainly didn't  LOL

SLEEP!!!!
Goodness, I forgot this is your hit the floor running time of year.
Seems like it is closing in on year round for you.
That's a good thing if you didn't need to sleep.
Sending rest your way!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf