Author Topic: Do not shop at Kohls to resell  (Read 2981 times)

BTPS

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Businesses Growing Together
Do not shop at Kohls to resell
« on: April 13, 2015, 11:39:48 PM »
In the news ....
No more retail arbitrage at Kohls
http://feedvisor.com/news/amazon-ebay-sellers-banned-kohls-5214

sock monkeys at www.OurSockMonkey.com and of course everything at www.FilthyRichFashions.com

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
Re: Do not shop at Kohls to resell
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:47:09 AM »
WOW!
Thanks for posting.

I do NOT understand this because I find their items sold in a "broad line closeout retailer" outlets 12 months out of the year.
Not just one or two of the items that are labeled Kohl's...but 100's of items with varied sku's.

I don't understand their reasoning on no retail arbitrage, especially since they are "selling" their items to closeout retailers whom can do what they please with the items.
Insane.

From the article....Seriously K-Mart?
You do the same thing?
The store that I walked into during the holiday season that had a scant amount of customers in the store, two lines open with cashiers and only 1 person in line?
The store looked as if it were abandoned with the lack of customers, employees and merchandise stacked to the ceiling...but nobody to purchase that merchandise.
The company K-Mart/Sears closed 109 stores last year and yet they turn away retail arbitrage'rs?
They should be welcoming sales of any kind!

Once again, thanks for posting BT.
I sat shaking my head throughout reading it...just doesn't make sense.

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:52:21 AM »
Do your homework before you buy. Browse, leave, do your research, return, buy.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »
@Scoot
Yep.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 05:11:31 AM »
Agreed, it's just silly.  If they're getting the price they want, then what's the issue? They'd rather sit on it, have it collect dust, take up valuable shelf space, and then have to reduce the price even more and sell it to a company that deals in closeouts?

There's a few shops that I do business with that know exactly what I'm doing and they've even helped me round up product. Their attitude is that the more I buy, the better their store's bottom line.

I was once given grief by one employee at a store who even threatened to have me ejected from the store if I dared to touch anything in the pile of boxes she was getting ready to go through (all I did was pause for a second and tilt my head slightly to see what what printed on the carton, out of curiosity as to what she was going to be stocking) and who then went on a rant about people like me who buy up stuff before the real customers get a chance to buy it. Um, anyone who is giving you their money for the price you're asking is a real customer. But, if you'd rather sit on stock instead of turning it, and have your sales not be as good, which in turn affects your performance stats, okay fine.  That was just an angry clerk, though, who didn't comprehend that if her shelves aren't having to be routinely restocked, her work won't be needed as much and she could even potentially have her hours cut or job completely eliminated, not to mention the fact that the shop will have less money to spend on employee wages.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:21:22 AM by WayOutWest »

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
Agreed, it's just silly.  If they're getting the price they want, then what's the issue? They'd rather sit on it, have it collect dust, take up valuable shelf space, and then have to reduce the price even more and sell it to a company that deals in closeouts?

There's a few shops that I do business with that know exactly what I'm doing and they've even helped me round up product. Their attitude is that the more I buy, the better their store's bottom line.

I was once given grief by one employee at a store who even threatened to have me ejected from the store if I dared to touch anything in the pile of boxes she was getting ready to go through (all I did was pause for a second and tilt my head slightly to see what what printed on the carton, out of curiosity as to what she was going to be stocking) and who then went on a rant about people like me who buy up stuff before the real customers get a chance to buy it. Um, anyone who is giving you their money for the price you're asking is a real customer. But, if you'd rather sit on stock instead of turning it, and have your sales not be as good, which in turn affects your performance stats, okay fine.  That was just an angry clerk, though, who didn't comprehend that if her shelves aren't having to be routinely restocked, her work won't be needed as much and she could even potentially have her hours cut or job completely eliminated, not to mention the fact that the shop will have less money to spend on employee wages.

It really is amazing at how angry some retailers get.  You make the great point that if someone is more than willing to pay what they are asking for, why would they refuse cash?  A sure sale to a reseller vs. only a possible sale to someone else.  If that sale never takes place, then they get even less for it from liquidation sale.  Kinda dumb if you ask me (I'm stating this even though you didn't ask  :h0035)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:56:49 AM »
I can kinda understand stores getting their knickers in a twist when they're running a special event to draw customers in (like the recent Target one) or when they have some items at or below cost, and it backfires because a handful of people buy everything up. But, all they have to do is limit the qty for those items. Easy peasy. Instead, though, they don't think it through, screw up the promo, let hoarders and resellers sweep the shelves, and then blame the customer. *shaking head*

uncleleroy

• Advanced Seller
  • Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:08:36 AM »
Your point is well-made for the promos that are run by the stores. 

I was thinking more of clearance-type sales where a store just wants to get rid of slow-moving inventory so they drastically reduce the price.  And then the employees/management gripe when someone DOES want to purchase a lot (or all) of it.  It seems that they're just mad that someone else can get retail price for it when they couldn't.  Kinda like the "if I can't do it, then no one else can" mentality.

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:58:02 PM »
Oh I hear ya. Special events being screwed up is their own dumb fault and they're cutting off their nose to spite their face when they decide the fix for their screw up is to ban volume buyers from buying their stuff.   If mfgs. are getting mad that people are doing this (arbitrage), it's their own fault for selling it so cheap to the big box store but then refusing to sell at a decent price to smaller shops.

All of this reminds me of when we had a department store's closeout store in my area. They had huge savings and pretty good turnover of product. Then, they got a new manger and he refused to do deep discounts on the products. Meanwhile, they had 3 or 4 semi trailers full of inventory, parked in the parking lot, waiting for shelf space.  Not surprisingly, sales dropped tremendously when he stopped doing the deep discounts and a huge amount of inventory had to be shipped to another closeout store of theirs when it was shuttered.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf