Author Topic: UPS & Fedex applying dimensional weight rates to ground in 2015  (Read 2263 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
UPS & Fedex applying dimensional weight rates to ground in 2015
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:19:19 PM »
Coming in 2015, UPS and Fedex will be applying dimensional weight ratings to all ground shipments. With the exception of when shippers have contracts that call for alternate divisors, both carriers use the following formulas to determine dimensional weight:
For domestic shipments -- ( L x W x H ) / 166
For international shipments -- ( L x W x H ) / 139

All measurements are rounded to the nearest inch, using 5/4 rounding. E.g. 12-1/2 inches becomes 13 inches, whereas 12-3/8 inches would be 12 inches.  Shippers should be sure to measure the outsides of their boxes, as some box manufacturers stated dimensions refer to the inside dimensions.

So, for example, a 12"x12"x12" box that weighs 8 lbs will be considered to weigh 11 lbs ((12x12x12)/166 = 1728/166 = 10.41)

For light, bulky parcels, vendors might want to consider USPS, regional shipping companies (such as OnTrac & LaserShip), or the parcel/postal hybrids (surepost & smartpost).

Source: http://www.transportationinsight.com/blog/2014/06/fedex-ups-dimensional-weight-change-2015-time-measure-cost/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:29:47 PM by WayOutWest »

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
Re: UPS & Fedex applying dimensional weight rates to ground in 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 02:33:50 AM »
Brace yourself for sticker shock. Today's the day that UPS switches to dimensional weight for all ground shipments.   Fedex doesn't start until January 1st.

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »
Starts today.  I can tell you I've been warned the price of my packing peanuts is going to DOUBLE!

:?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 02:55:41 PM »
If you're not already buying locally, you might check area yellow pages for someone nearby.   I found a place in nearby city for bubble wrap that has good prices.   I had noticed their listing in the yellow pages under corrugated boxes, but hadn't ever checked them out.  They only had the line entry in yellow pages, no advert.  So, were they a box manufacturer that would require purchases by the pallet, a reseller that sold for high prices, or...?    Then I saw one of their semi-trucks going down the road, noticed that it said packaging materials on it, and decided to check them out.  Turns out they sell a variety of packaging materials including peanuts and bubble wrap.

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »
My local K-Mart would go crazy marking down shipping supplies periodically.
I used to wait for a markdown and load up.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
I get mine locally at at UPS store, but their shipping prices are going up, so unless you find someone making them and not having to ship them, brace yourself

DudeJewelry

• Able Advisor
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
Knocking on wood this won't affect us, and I don't see how it will since 99.999% of our stuff is minimum size/weight anyway, and 90% of it goes USPS. Are you guys worried about this for shipping to your customers, or ordering stuff to yourselves?

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:01:52 AM »
@Dude I'm as you are and 99% of my items ship USPS and I use their packaging the majority of time unless it is going first class.

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »
I use whatever means my customer requests, UPS, FedEx or USPS.  FedEx starts dimensional shipping rates in January so this could be interesting?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 03:18:16 AM »
Knocking on wood this won't affect us, and I don't see how it will since 99.999% of our stuff is minimum size/weight anyway, and 90% of it goes USPS. Are you guys worried about this for shipping to your customers, or ordering stuff to yourselves?
Most of mine is USPS as well, but I do ship some UPS, especially if I'm at a show and need to ship out something.  Most of the shows I go to, the only service that is readily available is UPS.

Another part that worries me is wondering what sort of price hikes will we see for shipments to FBA.   

On the flip side, though, it'll most likely cause even more larger vendors who are in competition with Amazon to use SmartPost and SurePost, which are both super slow, leading to more purchases from Amazon (and 3rd party FBA) by Prime members.

Even when SmartPost and SurePost are expedient, they can be problematic, depending on the buyer's circumstances.  I placed an order back in late July with StoreSupply for some items for the booth.  In the past they shipped UPS, so I figured there'd be no problem.  Well, this time they shipped SurePost.  Luckily the mail carrier went ahead and came onto the grounds and hunted down our booth in the giant (200,000 gross square feet) expo bldg. Poor fellow was out of breath by the time he found us.  If I would have known that they were going to ship SurePost, I would have sought out another vendor for the items.  At most of the shows we do, it would have either ended up being returned as undeliverable or landing in the show office and the office giving us "the look" for having something come in through the post.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf