Author Topic: Target says encrypted PIN numbers were stolen in breach  (Read 8533 times)

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
Target says encrypted PIN numbers were stolen in breach
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:04:17 AM »
Target 'Guest Info' Also Stolen in Black Friday Breach

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2014/01/10/target-guest-info-also-stolen-in-black-friday-breach/

On another note, it appears PIN numbers were also obtained in the data breach

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/target-says-encrypted-pin-numbers-were-stolen-in-breach/

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
Re: Target says encrypted PIN numbers were stolen in breach
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
Yep, got that info this AM.
Our credit union is also on top of this, sent out new cards ages ago.
This doesn't negate the fact that our email addresses and more were supposedly in the info that was given.
I'm tired of this...how 'bout y'all?

Target Security Hacks

Be on your guard: Now that the criminals have three ways to contact you, expect to get fake phone calls, emails and letters in the mail. They'll be asking for your personal information and telling you to click on links. Don't do it, even if it looks official.
Instead, take the advice of NTT Com Security consultant Chris Camejo and go directly to the source. If a person calls you, claims to be with your bank and says you've been affected by the Target hack, hang up. Then call the bank number on your credit card to resolve the issue.

Similarly, if you get an email that seems official, don't click on any links. If it claims to be Target, just go to Target.com/databreach. Target is posting all true communication with customers there. If it claims to be your bank or anyone else, ignore the email and go straight to the Target website. Type in the address yourself.

Onto the credit report issues...I highly recommend Credit Karma.

Your Credit Score Should
Be Freeā€“and Now It Is.
Get Your Absolutely Free Credit Score.
Stay on Top of All of Your Accounts in One Place.
No Trials. No Credit Cards. Truly Free.

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »
My bills are paid out of the account that was compromised and it's in TN so they're watching it, new cards issued but I've had to open a local account so that I can pay my water bill, electric etc. from those accounts oh and let us not forget the direct debits for car insurance and stuff.  This has been a MAJOR mess and inconvenience and as I drove my Target the other day I thought I should just take the red card in and tell them I'd like to watch THEM cut it up.  Unless it's cash there I haven't even bothered to go in since I got word on this and had to start watching accounts like a hawk.  But what a mess for them.

HOW did this much info being snagged happen?  Has anyone said yet how that much credit/debit card information etc was breached?

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:31:36 PM »

HOW did this much info being snagged happen?  Has anyone said yet how that much credit/debit card information etc was breached?
Target and the feds are both being hush hush about how it happened.  I suspect either someone in corporate clicked a spyware link or it was an inside job.

toobusyforswapmeets

• Champion Counselor
  • Offline Offline
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Passion4Mopars
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
I thought inside job as well, but I'm a little on the suspicious side right now  LOL

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf