Author Topic: WiFi Hotspots Meet Social Networking  (Read 870 times)

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
WiFi Hotspots Meet Social Networking
« on: June 29, 2013, 06:04:15 AM »
What if you could share your 4G wifi hotspot and earn extra bandwidth for it?  Now you can.  Meet Karma: a new, social-networking driven, hotspot provider.

How it works: you buy the unit for $99 then you buy 1GB of bandwidth for $14.  You then run an open wifi hotspot with the device. Every time someone new connects to the hotspot they have to create an account on Karma to use the service (assuming they don't already have an account). Then, they get 100MB of bandwidth to use for free, and you get 100MB of bandwidth added to your account.  Note: their use is not deducted from your bandwidth allotment.

The device can handle up to 8 connections at a time, so if you're in a high traffic area (mall, airport, commuter rail, etc) you can fairly easily rack up lots of free bandwidth for yourself.  And, your bandwidth never expires.  If you share enough, you can have free wifi for a very long time.

Coverage areas are a bit slim.  It currently uses Sprint's 4G WiMax system, so you have to be in an area where Sprint's 4G WiMax system is. And, since Sprint is working on switching over to 4G LTE, they haven't been expanding the WiMax coverage.

http://yourkarma.com

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 07:26:14 AM by WayOutWest »

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
Re: WiFi Hotspots Meet Social Networking
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:31:33 AM »
Thanks, that's good info.
My brother uses his phone as a hotspot...ALOT!
And he's in Orlando where there should be lots of spots for free wifi.

Off topic:
I love LTE.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf