Author Topic: Want the start button back in Win8?  (Read 3170 times)

planetsuze

• Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • suzes.melange
    • View Profile
    • Suze's Melange
Re: Want the start button back in Win8?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 04:38:35 PM »
Well the last of my hijacking of this thread, lol. VirtualBox does work, and I am running my scanner happily. :bliss

Notes on setting up the virtual drive for XP, in case anyone else is crazy enough thinking of doing this:
  • Set it up as dynamic - then it will only take space from the host (your main PC) as needed
  • Give the new drive at least 1GB RAM (it defaults to 192 MB - seriously?!?). I tried to give it more, but I only have 4GB RAM on the host and VB thought I was being too generous, lol. But so far 1GB seems fine. Which it only uses while you have the virtual drive running. I set the first one up with the 192MB and everything was ghosting all over the screen for lagging.
  • Give the dynamic drive more GB of space than you think you will possibly need - it defaults to 10GB and that was not near enough. And way too much of a PITA to mess with later. I also read in my travels that you can only expand it if it's a dynamic drive - if you set it up as fixed, no.
Was it worth spending so much of my time this weekend on? I wound up creating 3 virtual drives before it was over, a 10GB dynamic, a 10GB fixed and a 60GB dynamic. Installed XP on all 3. :thud And SP3. And IE8 and FireFox. And MSE. And a printer. And the scanner. And PSE9, and Ccleaner.  ??? I could have spent $40 on VueScan and called it a day... Truthfully, I like the Epson scan GUI better than VueScan's. But if DH was working, most likely I would have spent the $40, and saved all the aggravation. But for a free option when I need to spend that $$$ elsewhere, it works.

And thanks again, Steve!  :catplus:

WayOutWest

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
    • A3PDNI0CMSQZ2N
    • View Profile
    • WayOutWestUSA.com - Landstrom's Black Hills Gold Jewelry
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »
Welcome, glad to hear you got it sorted. :) Congrats!   :D!  And now you've got that experience under your belt you can easily do it again if you should need to add other operating systems to VirtualBox. Hopefully you wont need to, but...  :)

springintoscooters

• Founding Member
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • The United States Postal Service's Official Mascot
    • View Profile
    • Spring Into Scooters
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »
Making me question my decision to buy this laptop with Windows 8 for Hannah.

Wait for Windows 8.1 at least. That should be a Win-Win.
<----- Slow ride. Take it easy.

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds

• Administrator
  • Master Motivator
  • Offline Offline
  • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
    • Pinterest
    • View Profile
    • Southern Jewel's Fab Finds
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »
It's in my shopping cart and was going to make my decision today.
<sigh>

Windows 8.1 will come around soon enough.
Goodness knows I'm having updates all the time.

Curious minds want to know...Why do you have Simon as your avatar?
BTW, thanks for the pic of the British soldier's wedding pic/avatar. I hadn't seen that picture of him.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf